Social Media becoming more unhinged as Trump leads Biden in the polls

Thats great that you do your own due dilligence but the average person cant be expected to, which I think you'd agree with. It seems like theres two seperate realities that are emerging, and add to that the laziness and uneducation of the populace and I dont get how Democracy continues. This also makes Trumps rise unsurprising.

I think media has some responsibility. We need an effective and bipartisan fourth estate. A spread out media landscape is fine but only to the extent that people do the proper due dilligence as you mentioned. If we see that the average person doesnt, then all those outlets are doing is confirming their audience's pre existing bias.
I think there’s a lot here that we agree on.

I totally agree that there’s major dysfunction in the media, and there’s also major dysfunction in our educational system, such that many citizens have no clue how to think critically, find flaws in arguments, do independent Research, and so forth. I also totally agree that somebody like Trump is only possible in a dysfunctional environment.

My brother-in-law is a conservative, works in IT, is pretty level headed and data driven, and we debate politics from time to time. We discussed this exact issue, and I proposed regulations on the media in regards to presenting both sides of an argument, having to be able to prove or substantiate claims, etc. He opposed this on the basis of First Amendment concerns! Isn’t that something? I mean, I definitely get the concern. But an outlet like FOX for example, lied their ass off about Dominion solely for ratings (and some Trump ass-kissery). That shouldn’t be allowed to happen, should it? It’s crazy to me that someone would defend the supposed free speech rights of media outlets to knowingly and blatantly lie. It’s remarkable.
I specifically mentioned FOX news as well as MSN, FFS. What I see is me saying "hey, wouldn't unbiased journalism be a nice thing" and you trying desperately to disagree with me for some reason.
If you had said that, I’d have agreed with you. What I saw you doing was lamenting how difficult it was to find a media outlet that has anything good to say about Trump, and then reflexively blaming it on the media as per usual. The idea that maybe—just maybe—no one can say anything good about him because he really is that big of a criminal POS did not seem to enter the equation.

If you had said that, I’d have agreed with you. What I saw you doing was lamenting how difficult it was to find a media outlet that has anything good to say about Trump, and then reflexively blaming it on the media as per usual. The idea that maybe—just maybe—no one can say anything good about him because he really is that big of a criminal POS did not seem to enter the equation.
You can pretend what I meant all you like, you know you showed your bias, is what happened. You're a team player and thats fine, just own it.

You can pretend what I meant all you like, you know you showed your bias, is what happened. You're a team player and thats fine, just own it.
Oh come on now, that’s unfair don’t you think? Firstly, in what way do I not own my partisanship? I don’t pretend to be a centrist. That doesn't mean I agree with every Dem or that I won’t call them out when I think they’re wrong. But if I thought the GOP had better solutions than Dems, I’d be a Republican. If I thought it was remotely close to equal, I’d be a centrist/independent. I’m not though, I’m a staunchly left wing liberal and make no apologies for that.

Regarding Trump, there’s practically nothing good to say about the guy. He’s an authoritarian, fascist force in our politics right now, and his supporters are a clear and present danger. But I’ll throw him a compliment, just for you. Let’s see… oh! He didn’t totally tank the fantastic economy he inherited from Obama nearly as bad as I thought he might. That’s something. See, I can be nice(ish).

Oh come on now, that’s unfair don’t you think? Firstly, in what way do I not own my partisanship? I don’t pretend to be a centrist. That doesn't mean I agree with every Dem or that I won’t call them out when I think they’re wrong. But if I thought the GOP had better solutions than Dems, I’d be a Republican. If I thought it was remotely close to equal, I’d be a centrist/independent. I’m not though, I’m a staunchly left wing liberal and make no apologies for that.

Regarding Trump, there’s practically nothing good to say about the guy. He’s an authoritarian, fascist force in our politics right now, and his supporters are a clear and present danger. But I’ll throw him a compliment, just for you. Let’s see… oh! He didn’t totally tank the fantastic economy he inherited from Obama nearly as bad as I thought he might. That’s something. See, I can be nice(ish).

I’ve yet to see a significant policy in the last 15 years passed by republicans that impacted the American people in a positive

The usual response to this is well “we’re Republican! We believe in small government so less passed bills is better.”

Well I don’t really agree that there’s a mainstream media system that is deeply partisan, for starters. There is a mainstream media system that is lazy and sensationalist and doesn’t due their due diligence in their rush to get clicks, that seems clear.

There are outlets that are deeply partisan, sure. Despite what some War Roomers might think about me, I completely ignore shit like MSNBC, Huff Post, the View, etc. Unfortunately, I rarely see conservative Americans ignore FOX and Newsmax, and in fact, FOX was the highest rated cable news show in this country for years—despite study after study that showed FOX viewers to be the least informed on issues.

I am huge advocate of bringing back the Fairness Doctrine, and personally I think that its elimination is where all of these problems started.

There are unbiased outlets to get news from, such as:

AP
Reuters
Lawfare for legal issues

There are also good outlets whose bias is very slight that are very factual, well-sourced places to get news from. I mean shit, MediaBiasFactCheck.com has a filtered search available. If someone wants, for example, a slightly right-biased outlet with high factual reporting and credibility, they can set those filters and the site will spit out a whole list of them.

But that brings to light the other big issue: it’s not just the media who is lazy, people are lazy. I don’t need Jesse Waters or Anderson Cooper to tell me what to think, I can read a bill or executive order or special counsel report or whatever for myself—and I do. If I read an editorial or opinion piece, I’ll do my own research to see if I can independently verify the assertions made. If I need additional context, I specifically seek out highly factual media outlets with minimal bias to get that context from.

To your point about half the country disagreeing with me: I honestly don’t view myself as any kind of expert, but my interest in history and politics is almost innate. That is, I was drawn to both starting when I was a child. I’ve been following this stuff for like 35 years. So I can discern things for myself, and I don’t give a good goddamn if other Americans disagree, or Rachel Maddow disagrees, or Tucker Carlson disagrees. I can form my own political views and their spin isn’t particularly relevant to me.

The dialectic is originally and properly Hegel, not Marx, although Marx did repurpose the Hegelian dialectic for his own philosophy (and both philosophies Dealt with the “synthesis” aspect of it). But there’s no point in us trying to have that discussion, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about and it shows.

But I’ll bite: in what way have I treated politics as sport? I am warning about the very real consequences of electing someone like Trump, as demonstrated through parallel events in history. It’s literally the opposite of treating politics as sport.
What is all this? I've allready told you how you're treating politics as sport and you just created a wall of text that further proves my point. You can't see the forest for the trees. Once again, just turn the news feed off for a couple of days dude. It'll do ya good.

So while we just bitch at each other over semantics any actual news on this? Is Trump actually favored to win? I find that hard to believe.

So while we just bitch at each other over semantics any actual news on this? Is Trump actually favored to win? I find that hard to believe.

All I've learned from Sherdog the last few years is that if your candidate is up in the polls, then he'll probably win. But if the candidate you hate is up in the polls, then polls don't mean anything.

The last that I saw Trump had a pretty decisive lead in 5 of 6 battleground states which is really all that matters but that was probably a month ago.

I've seen many polls that put Trump ahead but some odd reason, they never include the margin of error. What a mystery.

Having said that, I found it hard to believe he had a hope in hell in 2016 but here we are, and the polls may be accurate. However, even assuming he has a lead now, I believe that's likely to change when his criminal prosecutions get into full swing (assuming they're not delayed somehow), especially the Georgia RICO case.

Wow, MSNBC not liking the Supreme Court taking up the presidential immunity case.

Lmaoooo. Bring out a tour of former generals to scare the shit out of people. He literally says that.

Imagine what kind of global terror putting a nazi like Trump in charge would cause. We might even start supporting nazi regime like the one in Israel smh.
GOP speaker Johnson already told that priority is urgent aid bill for Israel.

Imagine what kind of global terror putting a nazi like Trump in charge would cause. We might even start supporting nazi regime like the one in Israel smh.

Reported for anti-whiteness.

Lmaoooo. Bring out a tour of former generals to scare the shit out of people. He literally says that.

Lol, "it's really scary that he might do to us what we're already doing to hm".

Chris Hayes was good too. "The voters of this country might be robbed of information before an election, and that is our job to employ social media to block information from voters before elections".

Chris Hayes was good too. "The voters of this country might be robbed of information before an election, and that is our job to employ social media to block information from voters before elections".

Which Democrat candidate has said anything close to this?

“A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,” he wrote. “Our great ‘Founders’ did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!”

I saw you doing was lamenting how difficult it was to find a media outlet that has anything good to say about Trump, and then reflexively blaming it on the media as per usual. The idea that maybe—just maybe—no one can say anything good about him because he really is that big of a criminal POS did not seem to enter the equation.
I noticed the MSM never said anything nice about Charles Manson, either. Biased jerks.

I’ll throw him a compliment, just for you. Let’s see… oh! He didn’t totally tank the fantastic economy he inherited from Obama nearly as bad as I thought he might. That’s something. See, I can be nice(ish).
Very magnanimous of you!

I just have to point out that he still managed to triple the deficit, despite being handed a hot economy. And that was before covid.

It is more subtle from CNN, which makes it even worse. Just listen to this anchor at the start basically saying that democrats hope was these legal issues, and now that there are delays, democrats should just give up their only hope lmaooo!

This is quite a bit more unhinged

If you can stomach listening to tribe basically choke to death in his own dry mouth, this one takes the cake despite not seeming unhinged. But to see Anderson cooper just listen to this guy who can barely speak makes me laugh. This guy probably thought he might have a place on the Supreme Court, except he is now a POC and female, so with democrats, he has no place.

But a person like tribe is the railhead for democrat thought and they think if someone as esteemed as him says this, it is true! All these people tho are acting as if Trump’s argument is that a president can do anything, which is not the case. His argument is the election was stolen and it is his duty as president to adjudicate that. Not have everything be dismissed by judges with TDS and/or too scared to be demonized by Main stream media for helping Trump.

Back