*McGregor is following GSP's steps*

If he loses next I'll start calling him McTapper in no time just like I did after the first Nate fight #Fairweather #blessed

For now he's GOAT.
he will never lose again. deadly serious. The nate loss was his rebirth.

His only challenge from 135-170 is Maia. The rest fall.

GSP defended the title for more than 5 years, firmly established himself as the WW GOAT, was clearly past his prime after knee surgery, and had already planned to step away from the sport prior to the Hendricks fight. To suggest that GSP "quit" is just ignorant.

As for Conor, I highly doubt that he's every ducked anyone. I certainly believe that the UFC ducked people on his behalf and paved his way to the belts, but Conor's confidence is genuine. When he says that these guys aren't on his level, I believe that he actually believes it. His desire to fight Floyd has nothing to do with ducking Khabib or Tony. He's simply chasing that paycheck. Any sane person would do the same thing if they had the opportunity to box the biggest name in combat sports for that kind of money. It obviously messes things up a bit for MMA, but I can't begrudge someone for trying to get their money.

You forget that a pillow fisted .500 fighter choked him out and took him to the brink in the rematch.

And an over the hill, undersized journeyman fighter who got a title shot due entirely to a marketing promotion made GSP tap to strikes.

Conor is taking a sebatical at the peak of his career. GSP retired when the writing was on the wall that his superiority over his opponents was shrinking.

For what it's worth I think GSP could probably have defended more times but the TS' comparison makes no sense.

And an over the hill, undersized journeyman fighter who got a title shot due entirely to a marketing promotion made GSP tap to strikes.

Conor is taking a sebatical at the peak of his career. GSP retired when the writing was on the wall that his superiority over his opponents was shrinking.

For what it's worth I think GSP could probably have defended more times but the TS' comparison makes no sense.

Meh im neither for or against For either guy, Mcgregor puts on exciting fights while Georges is Ambien incarnate, but Georges at least defended the strap.

Except beating Mayweather in boxing is 100x harder than beating Khabib in MMA.
Conor took 2 UFC belts then went on to the biggest challenge of them all while GSP cowered at WW for years with excuses why he would never fight at MW or catchweight vs. Silva, then quit because UFC wouldn't pay him half what they're paying Conor. Your logic is flawed as F.

Dude, your boy doesnt even defend titles, not even once.

How many times did GSP defend his title? yeah exactly,

And how did he earn those titles? 2 loses against Nate and then all of a sudden jump the line to get a title shot?
Special treatment. Of cours its all business for Dana and the owners/pre owners

Nothing against the guy, best thing that happend to the sport in the last couple of years.
But those diehard fans are delusional

and that's where he'll always be.. behind him... in his footsteps.

The comparison is absurd.
Let's just face it, Conor doesn't care about how illegitimate his career looks or about defending titles,or about leaving a legacy .

The comparison is absurd.
Let's just face it, Conor doesn't care about how illegitimate his career looks or about defending titles,or about leaving a legacy .

Conor is absolutely leaving behind a legacy, just not in the way some want it to be, because he's a trailblazer who challenges conventional thinking. Ronda did that too but she couldn't pick herself back up after a loss, but Conor already proved he can.

Conor is absolutely leaving behind a legacy, just not in the way some want it to be, because he's a trailblazer who challenges conventional thinking. Ronda did that too but she couldn't pick herself back up after a loss, but Conor already proved he can.
He's certainly blazing a trail away from title challengers

He's certainly blazing a trail away from title challengers
That's the conventional way to look at it, but you could also see it as him challenging all preconceived notions of what you can/should and can't/shouldn't do in the sport by seeking the biggest, most challenging fights across all of combat sports.

Ali, for example, challenged conventional thinking by making what pundits at the time thought was a career suicide move in refusing the draft, wasting his prime years away not defending any belt or fighting at all, but that only add to his legacy and legendary status. Of course, I'm in no way suggesting what Conor is doing is comparable to that, but I am saying he's a trailblazer who's breaking the mold, that will inevitably rustle a lot of jimmies, but at the end of the day it will most likely add to his legacy, just not in the conventional way.

Yeah, GSP who has more top 5 wins than anyone while being able to make LW his whole career.

Back