McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

Rational Poster

Actually the Best Poster
@plutonium
Reaction score

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/mitch-mcconnell-obamacare-repeal-senate-votes-238779

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday said the path forward for the legislation to repeal and replace Obamacare remains unclear, adding that he is unsure at the moment how such a measure will secure the requisite 50 votes from the GOP’s 52 senators.

"I don't know how we get to 50 (votes) at the moment. But that's the goal,” McConnell (R-Ky.) told Reuters in an interview. He said passing a repeal-and-replace measure, a campaign promise of GOP lawmakers for more than seven years and a key plank of President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, remains a top priority.

Sad!

Seven years for this sad little turtle to come up with nothing. Just fucking pathetic.

I've got an idea. Maybe they can set aside ideology, which requires tax cuts for the wealthy for some reason, and actually come up with a healthcare plan that improves people's lives and/or the system in some way?

Lets not get it twisted. The plan that passed the House is a tax cut, not a healthcare plan. That is why it won't pass the Senate.

I think the best way to get 50 votes is to actually present a plan worth voting yes on.

The republicans are good at one thing and that's gerrymandering districts. Other than that they can't accomplish anything that helps the country.

gettyimages-678665956.jpg

lol at the house republicans...
Yeah that was really weird. I can't recall a celebration like that before something even passed the Senate! Everyone knew at best it would be very hard to pass in the Senate with the slim majority and many said it was DOA.

Of course with Trump it's about showmanship and not policy.

The republicans are good at one thing and that's gerrymandering districts. Other than that they can't accomplish anything that helps the country.
It's good to know that gerrymandering didn't start until 2011.

7 trillion in revenue and these dicks can't figure out how to get everyone to the doctor?

Wtf is wrong with these people?(D+R)

7 trillion in revenue and these dicks can't figure out how to get everyone to the doctor?

They just don't care they get really good insurance.

Let's take their benefits away and see how they feel then.

Ha, fair criticism. In that context it's certainly a blunder. Many of us on the left agree but we do need to acknowledge that one party is giving a good faith effort to get everyone healthcare and the other party wants to sacrifice that goal to lower taxes (primarily for the rich).

The CBO score for the current version of Trumpcare just dropped and it isn't pretty

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under H.R. 1628 than under current law. The increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number projected under current law would reach 19 million in 2020 and 23 million in 2026. In 2026, an estimated 51 million people under age 65 would be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law. Under the legislation, a few million of those people would use tax credits to purchase policies that would not cover major medical risks.

Gerrymandering is why garbage bills like this one get through the House and not the Senate.

That's the only thing they're good at though. Was it that tough for you to understand thatbpost.
It's good to know that gerrymandering also affected the Senate.
Oh wait...

The CBO score for the current version of Trumpcare just dropped and it isn't pretty

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

all that to "save" 119 billion over 10 years. 23 million additional uninsured people just to save peanuts.

It's egregious the extent to which the GOP just continues to fail at governing - either fiscally or people's well-being.

Slightly confused, wont the dems just filibuster this thing and destroy it?

Good, its a shitty bill anyway. Leave it to Paul Ryan to come up with the only possible thing worse than Obamacare.

They don't have to.

There are 52 republicans. It is possible that Mcconnel will pull off something impressive and get 50.

Schumer is gonna fillibuster it of that happens though. I dont see any scenario this bill survives.

Back