Mayweather vs. Ortiz September 17 (don't start new threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it isn't. Floyd is going to walk through him. I think Floyd will have him out of there by the 10th.

I expect Floyd to win easy, but it's hard to criticize this choice. Other than Pacquiao, Ortiz was the most viable and realistic option and he took it.

Last edited:
Boxrec had this up over a month ago proving they have good and reliable sources

Ortiz will blame the loss on a cracked skull

^ lol! you didn't like the show?

i don't feel ortiz is ready for someone on may's caliber BUT still a good sign that may is keeping active. if both he and pac win their next fights there shouldn't be any reason not to see mac vs may in 2012.

quite a layoff for may though, huh? looks like he's fighting once a year.

I expect Floyd to win easy, but it's hard to criticize this choice. Other than Pacquiao, Ortiz was the most viable and realistic option and he took it.

Its a great tune up fight for Mayweather but a bad fight in general.

Floyd is clearly waiting for Manny to get old, get worn out, look to get out of boxing doing the whole politician thing, he is waiting for the right time to fight Manny cause he is scared.

Floyd is older than Manny sir.

Ortiz is too slow and gets hit way too much.
Floyd by shutout.
Love watching Floyd fight.

Knowing Mayweather's lifestyle he can't consciously leave the money on the table that a Pac fight would bring him. He may actually end up making close to 65 million when the pay per view revenue are counted. On the other hand I really don't think Manny cares about the money and is rather indifferent to fighting PBF. The ball is in Floyd's court and I think he is finally realizing that the time may be running out on him to cash in on a once in a lifetime paycheck.

Its a great tune up fight for Mayweather but a bad fight in general.

This is not a bad fight (Maybe you mean interms of the odds, but the odds are not good for most facing Mayweather at 147), this probably the best match that can be made at the moment at 147 other than May/Pac of course. Better fight then the match up Pac has been lining up lately.

Knowing Mayweather's lifestyle he can't consciously leave the money on the table that a Pac fight would bring him. He may actually end up making close to 65 million when the pay per view revenue are counted. On the other hand I really don't think Manny cares about the money and is rather indifferent to fighting PBF. The ball is in Floyd's court and I think he is finally realizing that the time may be running out on him to cash in on a once in a lifetime paycheck.

i disagree pac doesn't care about money. If he did the mosley fight probably never happens.

No way is this a tune up. Ortiz has the size and power to trouble Floyd.

Glad Money is ready to fight again...will not look into this as a step Manny because I don't want to be disappoint. This could be an interesting fight.
Side note: Berto must be pissed...he wanted a big fight for a while and once he loses Money is back (but not sure if they would fight any way since they have the same manager).

Good to see Mayweather's getting back in the ring, I'm a little surprised, when this was posted on boxrec a month ago they both denied any negotiations.

I agree completely...some people will just downplay Ortiz because they are pacquiao fans or hate mayweather, or still think Ortiz is the same guy at 147lbs. that he was at 140lbs.

He moved up from 140lbs. and went toe-to-toe with a top 5 fighter at 147lbs. and came out the victor. Say what you will Berto is a harder puncher than Mayweather and he was shrugging off a lot of what Berto had to offer and recovered quickly when he did go down. He isn't going to be intimidated by PBF offense... I think this is going to be like Castillo vs. Mayweather I and I think the layoff is going to hurt Mayweather...also this is the first time in years that any top fighter around 147lbs has fought someone who is younger and fresh and has the will and desire to actually try to win a fight instead of collect a paycheck before retirement...

Mayweather is going to learn that the division is changing and that he might not be fast enough to slip everything like he did against older fighters like Marquez and Mosley...I firmly believe Ortiz wins this match.

Ortiz looks great... as long as his opponents stand right in front of him. The dude has no jab and bad footwork. Floyd is going to turn and counter him all fight and it won't be pretty.

If you want to get an idea of what this fight will look like go back and watch rounds 4-10 of the Anthony Peterson fight. As soon as Peterson found his groove and started turning and countering Ortiz, Ortiz looked like a fish out of water. He looked befuddled, his work rate went way down, and by the end he looked like a guy who just wanted to see the final bell. I think Floyd stops Ortiz in the late rounds after a dominating performance.

He moved up from 140lbs. and went toe-to-toe with a top 5 fighter at 147lbs. and came out the victor. Say what you will Berto is a harder puncher than Mayweather and he was shrugging off a lot of what Berto had to offer and recovered quickly when he did go down.

While Mayweather doesn't have the pure punching power of Berto, he's worlds more accurate with his shots and he does deal damage to his opponents through it. Berto and Mayweather are not even close to being similar (besides both being managed by Al Haymon) and if Ortiz thinks he's going to walk in and bomb out Mayweather, or even smother him like Castillo did, he will take a beating. Even in the Berto fight he wasn't hard at all for Berto to find and Mayweather will be elusive enough to counter and roll/move. I think we may even see Ortiz break down eventually from the punishment and quit like he did in the Maidana fight from the accumulative damage.

Ortiz lunges in a whole shitload and leaves himself wide open for right hands.

He's got a great chin so not sure if Floyd at 147 will be able to put him down, but I'll think he'll put on his typical clinical performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back