News Mayra Bueno Silva says Raquel Pennington injured her ear at UFC 297

Sticko

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Pennington landed a strike early in round two that partially tore Bueno Silva's eardrum.

Silva had a good first round, and even threatened Pennington with a rear-naked choke, but told MMA Fighting that she couldn’t keep up that pace after suffering the injury early in the second round.

“I had a minor ear injury, but aside from that, I feel great and ready to come back,” Silva said. “Raquel hit me hard in the ear and partially tore my eardrum and I kind of lost balance. But it’s part of the game.”

“I couldn’t read the fight and know what was happening after the strike [that caused the injury],” Silva said. “Kudos to her for landing a good strike that took me out of the fight. I’m still licking my wounds and had no time to analyze the fight and know what went wrong yet. We’re still kind of on a hangover.”

- predicts Pennington will successfully defend her belt against Julianna Pena
- interested in fighting Irene Aldana or MIesha Tate next:

“There are two athletes that don’t have a fight booked, and I think would make sense for me,” Silva said. “First, Irene Aldana. I think that’s a fight we could do, but first I need to wait and see what the doctor sees. I don’t want to stay out too long, I want to come back soon. I also thought about Miesha [Tate], but let’s see what the UFC has to offer. Maybe Miesha would be a good name.”

- predicts Kayla Harrison (her teammate at American Top Team) will knock out Holly Holm

giphy.gif

Rq3.gif

Like that she's not making bullshit excuses and is already looking at bounce back fights that make sense rather than an instant rematch just because it was a decision.

Agreed, but she would be humiliating herself if she asked for a rematch after that performance - she looked gassed and lost for pretty much the entire second half of the fight, usually a rematch is only demanded if it is any way contreversially scored or if your name is Colby Covington.

<BC1>

Agreed, but she would be humiliating herself if she asked for a rematch after that performance - she looked gassed and lost for pretty much the entire second half of the fight, usually a rematch is only demanded if it is any way contreversially scored or if your name is Colby Covington.

<BC1>
Agreed, and it's pretty clearly Julianna's fight next, MBS was only there because Julianna was still injured. If not for the injury Amanda would have fought Julianna a third time instead of facing Aldana.

Agreed, and it's pretty clearly Julianna's fight next, MBS was only there because Julianna was still injured. If not for the injury Amanda would have fought Julianna a third time instead of facing Aldana.

Pena doesn't even deserve the shot, but yeh, there's no way she doesn't get it next. She's the only one in the entire division who makes any noise.

That's a good attitude to have. I'm still excited to see her fight more, and with or without the injury she probably learned alot about going five rounds and where her cardio needs to get too.

Good call outs too she should be able to out muscle Misha an sub her. Aldana is weak on the ground if she gets her there.

If not for the injury Amanda would have fought Julianna a third time instead of facing Aldana.
Which would have been a damn shame.

Pena doesn't even deserve the shot, but yeh, there's no way she doesn't get it next. She's the only one in the entire division who makes any noise.
Yep. The embarrassing loss should disqualify her from a  rematch, but when a title is vacated, being the recent title fight loser is a good candidate for next up.

Why was she acting all erratic though? Off her ritalin or whatever the hell she got popped for previously?

She needs to work on how to take the fight to the ground.

Which would have been a damn shame.

Yep. The embarrassing loss should disqualify her from a  rematch, but when a title is vacated, being the recent title fight loser is a good candidate for next up.
Forget a vacated belt. The instant trilogy was signed, ffs. Pena got creamed in the rematch. And apparently broke her ribs a couple months before 289. Amanda fighting too soon after having Covid, and an injured knee was a mistake. But credit for not pulling out again. Amanda should have pulled out of the first fight. It was actually rescheduled about 5 months after the original date. But obviously Amanda was not close to 100%.

And getting the Aldana fight helped Amanda’s resume. If Amanda blew out Pena again, and then retired. Her detractors would have accused Amanda of ducking Aldana. So imo, Amanda left the game perfectly.

Back