News Max Holloway debuts as #9 Ranked Lightweight

In the aftermath I hadn’t even thought of that.

Congratulations for hitting the top 10.

But what about the part where you usually get the rank (or right next door to it) of the person you just beat?

He’s getting GIPPED!

In the aftermath I hadn’t even thought of that.

Congratulations for hitting the top 10.

But what about the part where you usually get the rank (or right next door to it) of the person you just beat?

You're right about that but in 99% of those scenarios that fighter has made a permanent move to the division or at least their next few fights will be there. Who knows if Max will even fight in the division ever again.

It's an honest ranking.

Gaethje without a broken nose after round 1 would be a different fighter. I think that's why he's #9 and not #2 LW.

That makes no sense at all, but the entire ufc commentary and all of the media members at the event seemed to be pushing the topuria fight next while ignoring max's entire call out of islam, so I'm guessing some of the ranking panelists didn't even think to rank max at LW

I guess it's because this was just 1 fight but let's not pretend the UFC doesn't put guys in the rankings that never beat a ranked opponent, bump guys rankings up for no reason etc... It's weird to have him at #9.

A much much bigger joke than that is.... O'malley and Topuria being ahead of him in the p4p rankings lmao. How do you have a guy who just won the belt and who's best win besides Volk is Emmett at #5??? Volk win was impressive but everybody knows Volk got brutally Ko'd in the fight before that and was 35 years old.. Idk, that shouldn't make him #5 imo.

Also O'malley has 1 defense and that defense was a guy that had no business being in there with him, Chito only got a title shot because he beat O'malley in the past. Just 3 fights ago everybody was saying O'malley lost to Yan.

Edit: Also Topuria being 2 ranks ahead of Volk p4p after beating him but Holloway being 6 spots behind Gaethje after dominating him os crazy. But yeah the rankings have always been ridiculous.

How do you beat the number 2 guy in dominant fashion and only get to 9? Gaethje is above him? Lol. Not sure I've ever seen that before.
It's happened a few times. Although I think a 7 spot difference might be the widest margin in history of dumbest rankings after a fight.

It's happened a few times. Although I think a 7 spot difference might be the widest margin in history of dumbest rankings after a fight.

I think it's happened a couple times after a robbery where people believe the losing fighter won. Or a fluke injury or something. After a dominant victory though?

I think it's happened a couple times after a robbery where people believe the losing fighter won. Or a fluke injury or something. After a dominant victory though?
Andrade choked out Lemos r1 and was ranked lower in sw. For one example.

Dumont won a unanimous decision 49-46 over Ladd and didn't move above her in the rankings.

Ranking Max at #9 after beating #2 Gaethje is absurd. For frame of reference:
  • Alex entered the LHW rankings at #3 after beating #3 Jan.
  • Deiveson was ranked #8 at BW after beating #8 Rob Font.
  • Rose is ranked #6 at FLW after beating #7 Ribas.

Andrade choked out Lemos r1 and was ranked lower in sw. For one example.

Dumont won a unanimous decision 49-46 over Ladd and didn't move above her in the rankings.

Andrade was ranked higher than Lemos after that fight. Dumont v Ladd was at featherweight so that's probably why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back