Matt Brown Says Volkanovski May Have Returned Too Soon. Speaks from His Own Experiences.

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240228_103556_Gallery.jpg

Alexander Volkanovski hadn’t experienced a knockout loss since very early in his career, but that changed once he was floored in back-to-back fights against Islam Makhachev and Ilia Topuria.

The first knockout came via head kick when Volkanovski accepted a short-notice opportunity to face Makhachev this past October. Four months later, Volkanovski suffered a similar fate when Topuria blasted him with punches to put him down with a second-round knockout that cost him the UFC featherweight title.

In the wake of those losses, concerns have been raised that perhaps Volkanovski returned too soon after the first knockout loss, and that played at least some part in his second straight defeat. Anything is possible, but UFC legend Matt Brown says there’s no definitive way to just point the finger at the time off between fights and blame that as the culprit behind Volkanovski’s knockout losses.

“I think it’s very independent, very specific to each person,” Brown said on The Fighter vs. The Writer. “I don’t think you can make a broad statement saying that is the problem. Because it’s more mental than it is physical in my opinion. I’ve had concussions before and I’ve been knocked out once.
“When I got knocked out, I came back and I was fine. But when I got concussed in a fight, I didn’t get knocked out but I was concussed, I was having serious problems for weeks after, maybe months after. There was serious problems. Vertigo, falling over, slurred speech. I would be speaking and just stop and not know what I was talking about. Crazy things like that.”

Brown has only suffered one real knockout during his career — a 2016 loss to Donald Cerrone when he was hit with a head kick in the third round. Meanwhile, Brown revealed that his concussion actually came during a fight with ex-UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks, in a 2015 fight where he was largely just out-wrestled for three rounds.

It was during one of the takedowns that Brown’s head hit the canvas, and it left him dazed and confused in the fight. Afterward, he was diagnosed with a concussion, and that freak occurrence led to far more physical problems than anything he faced from the knockout in his Cerrone fight.

" I got knocked out once and that was by ‘Cowboy’ [Donald Cerrone], and I came back with no problem,” Brown explained. “But mentally, it was harder to come back from the knockout. That’s why I say I don’t know if you can necessarily make that broad statement, because if [Volkanovski] was mentally OK with it, then I don’t think it probably played a role. That hurts. You got f****** knocked out in front of millions of people, you had all these expectations in your head and then you get knocked out. That can play a mental role in your training. Maybe you’re questioning yourself a little bit, maybe you’re a little bit safer.

“When I got concussed, coming back from that wasn’t that hard. I had to do the recovery. It was hard dealing with the fact that I got concussed and there’s a strong possibility that I haven’t been the same since. Just because we believe that we’re recovered, there’s a chance that there are underlying effects that are causing problems, potentially for the rest of your life that you don’t even know about.”

Brown says in his case, he worked with doctors near his home in Ohio and they recommended one kind of treatment, and then he was offered a completely different alternative when dealing with a separate group of physicians in Colorado.

When he finally started feeling like himself again, Brown had no issues getting back in the gym and preparing for another fight, but he faced a different kind of struggle after his knockout loss.

“When I got concussed, I was able to come back from that mentally easily,” Brown said. “When I got knocked out, that was a mental hurdle to come back from. I had never been knocked out before and Cowboy’s ass happened to f****** knock me out in a really brutal, vicious manner.

“I see that highlight every now and then and I’m like, it looks f****** bad. That mental hurdle, that’s maybe a small little thing that’s a part of it.”

As far as Volkanovski’s future, he’s once again facing calls for an extended break before his next bout, but Brown knows that just sitting out for six months or even a year won’t necessarily solve the problem.

Physically, Volkanovski may get cleared much sooner, but Brown can’t say how long it may take him to move past the turmoil in his own head after suffering two knockouts in a row.

“I could tell you my personal way I got over it,” Brown said. “The way that I looked at fighting was a little bit different, and I started going this way a little bit before but that [knockout loss] really set it in stone. I stopped looking at each performance as the end of the world. Each performance was, that’s all that f******* matters. And the way I look at it myself now, I’m a martial artist for life and I’m going to be on the mats until the day that I die. This is what I do. The fight itself is a test of my martial arts on that day.

“I started looking at it afterward, if I fought him 10 minutes before that, an hour before that, the day before, whatever, maybe I would have knocked him out. All the fight is, a picture in time, whereas I’m a martial artist for life. This is just a picture in time where my martial art was that day. Sort of what Bruce Lee used to talk about, there’s no defeat until you accept defeat. It’s just a moment in time.

There’s no telling how long it will take for Volkanovski to get mentally and physically ready to fight again.

That’s why Brown won’t try to advise him to take a certain amount of time off, because there’s just no way to know for certain what will work for Volkanovski.

“To give advice to someone else, I think you need to know their own personal journey and the way their mind works and what makes them tick,” Brown said. “Why are they doing this to start with? What’s their motivation? What’s their goal? For some people, that goal is money — like Floyd Mayweather, his goal was money and he did it. For Conor [McGregor], it was probably money.

“For others like Jim Miller, I think he’s a martial artist. He’s not in there specifically for money. The point is there’s a lot of different personalities and you’ve got to understand who they are, what makes them tick, and things like that."

Link: Matt Brown Discusses Volk Coming Back too Soon

Yeah he usually has such good recovery that in a split second of getting rocked he's back to consciousness.

But having been KO'd so recently the brain needs time to heal. Apart from a knee to the head I'd say taking a head kick is the most devastating hit you can take.

I'd say 6 - 8 months minimum before allowing yourself the possibility of taking more trauma. A year even better.

The brain is just not the same and your ability to not only take a shot but recover from it is also deduced. It is like getting into a high collision car crash then two months later getting into another one. You would not have fully recovered from the first one yet and now this will be compounded.

I think this is how fighters end up like Chuck Liddell. Not too late for Volk but he needs some time off.

As great as this guy is, this may be one of the more tragic cases of low out-of-the-octagon IQ. I hope he made a lot of money in his last 2 fights (I'm sure he did).

You see it all the time, look at Rashad Evans after getting KO'd by Machida, he never fought the same again.

I remember thinking robbie lawler gave matt brown one of the most savage beatdowns in his career, interesting he said it was jonny that concussed him

Almost everyone thought so. Even Ilia fans. Not trying to take anything away from ilia, though. He did his thing, but it is what it is.

Part of being "an elite professional" is making intelligent choices.

Volkanovski made stupid choices, and paid the consequences.

He was a rising icon, but that mystique is gone now.
It will forever be gone.

His utter decimation at the hands of Topuria even cause Islam's status into question.

The rest is idle chatter and speculation.

I disagree, imo Topuria beats any version of Volk. People still not giving Topuria his credit, that shot he hit Volk with would have flatten anyone.
If you see the way Volk fell it was like a switch got turned off, reminded me of the way Roy Jones looked when he lost his chin. We can’t assume that that punch would’ve slept Volk, it could’ve knocked him down and he could’ve recovered, but the way he fell it seems like his brain just automatically shutdown as a learning mechanism after experiencing the last KO. Ultimately we will never know one way or another, but I don’t think it’s correct to just assume ilia would’ve KO’d him regardless of what happened last fight.

If you see the way Volk fell it was like a switch got turned off, reminded me of the way Roy Jones looked when he lost his chin. We can’t assume that that punch would’ve slept Volk, it could’ve knocked him down and he could’ve recovered, but the way he fell it seems like his brain just automatically shutdown as a learning mechanism after experiencing the last KO.
All I'm saying is that Topuria landed that exact same punch before and the lights went off in the same exact way.

Last edited:
Woah, that’s think tank stuff right there

Brown seems to be talking more about the mental side of things instead of the actual recovery.

I’ve still only seen highlights but in the Islam rematch Volk was AGGRESSIVE and got caught because of it. In the Topuria fight Volk seemed more focused on attempting to shut down the aggression of Topuria by clinching or exiting off an angle. Obviously in hindsight we can say “he’s mentally not ready he got KO’d” but Topuria made the read that Volk was attempting to clinch and caught him…. It’s not like he was swinging wildly he was breaking down Volk’s defence.

If Volk figured out a way to defend perfectly he would’ve used it and I think that’s why a guy like Josh Emmett would’ve lost that night but Topuria EARNED that win with mid fight adjustments against a still seemingly game champion. Who’s to say if Volk survived the KO that he could’ve made the defensive adjustments before Topuria could punish him more?

We all thought so, but Volk didn't want to logjam the division. Respect is definitely given for that. I don't think an immediate rematch is deserved but after a long break, let him have a number 1 contenders' match. He's earned that.

Back