Mats in the garage?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who has done it? Did you buy quality mats or put together some redneck contraption from the flee market and home depot?

I have an average sized garage thought it might be a fun idea, because i usually dont park my car in there.

Probably every home in middle America where they take wrestling very seriously.

My BJJ class is actually trained out of a garage. If you get some quality jigsaw mats its a legit way to get an awesome spot to roll.

A friend of mine had some in his room. He was a student and just had a bedroom that came unfurnished. He bought the mats instead of a cheap ikea bed/futon and slept on them rather than having a bed. Hardcore guy.

where did you guys get your mats from? and what size? i've been meaning to do this but well i'm still looking

A friend of mine had some in his room. He was a student and just had a bedroom that came unfurnished. He bought the mats instead of a cheap ikea bed/futon and slept on them rather than having a bed. Hardcore guy.

Nice ! I like the idea ,Wonder what my girl is going to say when i tell her we dont need to buy a new bed or flooring nxt month :icon_chee

Sometimes the high schools replace old matts and you can pick up their old ones for cheap, just make sure to really scrub them with bleach a couple of times...

I've been wanting to get some for my basement but decent mats like you see in a gym are hundreds of dollars

My BJJ class is actually trained out of a garage. If you get some quality jigsaw mats its a legit way to get an awesome spot to roll.

Are the jig saw ones the type they sell at home depot for the shop flooring

i just went online and searched for gymnasitcs mats and found a thickness and covering i liked. ordered them up and easy as that. mine are folding though, so stay out of the way when not needed.

i also bought a 200$ flat tv/dvd player combo and mounted it to the wall where i can see it from teh mat. makes learning from videos much nicer.

i have 4 different 4'x8' folding mats that velcro together at the edges. easily enough for one or two cautious pairs of people to roll.

the people i know who have done whole rooms just made their own mats/pads. "recipies" on line how to do so.

i like the puzzle matting, but i like it double thick if doing throws or takedowns lots or with any power.

i just went online and searched for gymnasitcs mats and found a thickness and covering i liked. ordered them up and easy as that. mine are folding though, so stay out of the way when not needed.

i also bought a 200$ flat tv/dvd player combo and mounted it to the wall where i can see it from teh

mat. makes learning from videos much nicer.

i have 4 different 4'x8' folding mats that velcro together at the edges. easily enough for one or two cautious pairs of people to roll.

the people i know who have done whole rooms just made their own mats/pads. "recipies" on line how to do so.

i like the puzzle matting, but i like it double thick if doing throws or takedowns lots or with any power.

Cool how much did u pay?

I train at a club, but I also have mats at home in my living room too. Hahaha I watch Sensai YouTube, do drills, teach my son, roll with friends, and stretch. You know, all that stuff any of us would do with mats in our living rooms. Maybe I'll post a video of us rolling on em later!

I train in a racket ball court at my college. I bought a bunch of 6'x4' Dollamur flexi-roll mats off Ebay that I throw down in there and they have been working out great. I'd say there are about just as good as regular tatami mats except for the fact that they do tend to get pretty slippery.

i have the 100 sq ft 1" thick from getrung.com
Gets the job done and about as cheap as your going to find them

You mean like this?
img0336sm.jpg

img0337xg.jpg

This was before I finished mounting the cage panels, hanging the bags and putting the rest of the pads on the wall.
The mats & wall pads came from the Dollamur ebay store. I started with a 10' x 21' mat and then added several 4' x 6' mats to fill in the area. It currently is 16' x 37' with an additional 6' x 8' added to the center.
The wall pads are the cheaper Dollamur gymnastic wall pads (carpet covering) which I turned backwards so that the rubber bottom was out.

i also bought a 200$ flat tv/dvd player combo and mounted it to the wall where i can see it from teh mat. makes learning from videos much nicer.

do you mind posting what you got? i'd like to see it as i am in search of some mats for home. thanks

This is a great idea. When I get a new place I do believe my bed will be sold in place of mats.

Back