Martial Arts Books About Training Methods, Rather Than Techniques.

Pugglen

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting here.

One thing I've always disliked about alot of Martial Arts books that I've read is that they have a lot of content about the techniques, but not much about that arts specific training methods (I.E Karate has gripping jars, Mantis has forearm strengthening drills, Wing Chun has wall bags, wooden dummy.). What makes the arts I've practiced different isn't really the techniques in my opinion, it's the training methods.

So that leads me to my question; Does anyone have any suggestions for books dense on traditional Martial Arts specific training methods? Preferably old styles like Karate, Taekwondo (as long as it's traditional), Kung Fu, etc.

Off the top of my head, Indian wrestling and sumo wrestling are the only training styles that are distinct and are still being practised in the present day. Lots of good videos on youtube.

there are some old school videos on youtube about kyokushin and the hojo undo of the okinawa style

So that leads me to my question; Does anyone have any suggestions for books dense on traditional Martial Arts specific training methods? Preferably old styles like Karate, Taekwondo (as long as it's traditional), Kung Fu, etc.

Are you interested in historical training, or trying to figure out how to train using traditional texts?

I have tremendous respect for the traditions and training methods of martial arts, but I would caveat that we actually understand physiology and athletic performance much better than we did even 100 years ago. I find reading about how people trained traditionally fascinating, but not necessarily relevant to what I'm trying to do today.

Back