Marquez/Fedchenko and Rios/Abril 4/14

Disgusting judging in the Rios fight, but what more can you expect from Jerry Roth. There needs to be investigations in to this sort of thing, it's beginning to happen way to frequently.

It was surprising for him to give Rios 8 rounds. He's usually no that bad. But Glenn Throwbridge should never be allowed to do another Top Rank fight again. He was the one that gave Manny Pacquiao 8 round against Marquez 116-112, and he's the guy tat gave Rios 115-113. Do we see a pattern here? It seems he already has his card made before the fight with big name fighters for Top Rank. He must be on Arums pay roll, either that or he is completely inept.

The Alvarado fight kicked ass, the inside work was brutal.

I had Abril winning by 3 rounds, and my friend and I were equally shocked to see Rios get the nod. I'll have to watch the fight again because Brandon mentioned something about excessive shoving which should have cost Abril a point or two.

The Marquez fight wasn't as exciting for me, and I actually found that the quality of the broadcast for his fight in Mexico was slightly shittier than the rest of the Las Vegas card. Either way it was good to see JMM pick up the win, and I hope this leads to a summer Rios/Marquez clash at 140lb.

It's a good thing in retrospect that Rios wasn't fighting for the belt, because the WBO would probably want us to watch that again in a few months. No thanks.

I'm not sure how people saw Abril being so dominant. He did a good job of keeping Rios from being Rios but he wasn't very busy offensively. Rios was landing a lot of shots inside.

You don't only count the 2 impressive shots a guy landed in a round. You have to score an entire round. No one holding and stalling like Abril was is winning rounds as clearly as some of you guys pretend he was.

I'm not sure how people saw Abril being so dominant.

I think it was bias from the bad TV commentary. I didn't see Abril do very much either.
The referee let his holding go on too much.

I think it was bias from the bad TV commentary. I didn't see Abril do very much either.
The referee let his holding go on too much.

It happens. I watched it, but didn't score it. Thought it was close the whole fight, myself. Gonna try to re-watch and score it today or tomorrow night.

They got me on JMM/Pac III. I didn't score it as I watched per se (round by round), but thought JMM was comfortably ahead. I can't remember if it was Lampley or who was all over JMM's bird, but I think it got me. Non-stop screaming about how great JMM was doing (which he was, but it was a little over-the-top).
I watched the fight again the next day and there were so many close rounds that it was amazing. I gave Pac the majority of those and had him winning by one or two rounds, I think. Don't remember exactly, but it was a lot closer than it seemed watching live and not scoring.

The opposite may happen with Abril/Rios. Maybe I'll end up with Abril comfortably ahead. We'll see. As Seano mentioned, Rios was working inside. I thought that was a close fight watching live. My scoring ain't worth spit anyway, but I have seen a fight differently upon a second watch when scoring round by round.

Some of the purists think it means you don't know how to watch it in the first place, but I say they're full of shit, myself.

Why the fuck do I watch this corrupt trash?

Honestly. It was so predictable that they weren't going to give Abril the fight. I didn't even get mad like I usually do, just turned it off.

It's so hard to support something so blatantly rigged that what SHOULD BE my favorite sport is nothing more than a fixed sideshow circus.

Fuck Bob Arum.

Fuck Top Rank.

You'll never get any of my money, ever.

Why the fuck do I watch this corrupt trash?

Honestly. It was so predictable that they weren't going to give Abril the fight. I didn't even get mad like I usually do, just turned it off.

It's so hard to support something so blatantly rigged that what SHOULD BE my favorite sport is nothing more than a fixed sideshow circus.

Fuck Bob Arum.

Fuck Top Rank.

You'll never get any of my money, ever.

It is always a shame to see it happen. I think Rios is a good young fighter but he did not deserve that win. Rios should have gotten the result and the lesson he deserved for not only showing up out of shape, but having no answer for Abril. All the shots he landed inside were either to Abril's back or blocked by Abril's right hand, using a lot of shoulder roll. Not only that but I do not remember any clean punches that Rios landed.

The card overall was a good card though, top rank usually puts together fantastic cards but controversies end up erasing that.

Anyways even though Abril lost, the WBA allowed him to keep the Interim belt. He is looking to fight either Gesta or Demarco to unify the belt. Those are two great fights that I would love to see.

Oh please. Rewatch the fight. Abril got too comfortable just defending, he wasnt active enough to really win. He looked good and he out boxed rios, but he just didn't do enough to win the judges over.

Come on now, that was a bad decision, Rios done absolutely nothing to win that fight. I agree that Abril spoiled a lot but his tactics were smart, his defence negated Rios' inside fighting. Abril was still landing good combinations at range though which was much more than what Rios was doing.

Abril used his shoulder brilliantly to stop Rios getting off and he wasn't clinching to the point where he should of had points taken off, he was just fighting smart. Rios was out of shape and out of ideas, he should of lost that fight.

Both Jerry Roth and Trowbridge had some shocking cards over the years. It was Roth who gave Trinidad 3 of the first 4 rounds against De La Hoya.

Both Jerry Roth and Trowbridge had some shocking cards over the years. It was Roth who gave Trinidad 3 of the first 4 rounds against De La Hoya.

Yea and I found out he gave De La Hoya round 12, when De La Hoya did not even land a single punch.

I remember seeing an interview where he said he would happily sit in a silent room and watch the fight and explain his scoring. I'd fucking love to be a fly on the wall in that room, the bullshit coming out of his mouth would be something else.

Gotta say, I believe Rios clearly lost. Maybe it deserves another watch but I saw Abril soundly out boxing him.

I went to the fight and I thought it was pretty close but that Abril landed the more effective punches, I won't even sit here and say he won though because I was pretty smashed by the time the main event started. I gotta watch the recording.

bad decision..bad bad BAD decision!!!! i was so pissed out by this outright robbery i couldn't bring myself to watch the marquez fight after....first time ever that happened with me as a long time boxing fan

Abril badly wants a rematch, but he will not get one. I suggest he stay at his weight division and dominate. There are some good fights with Gesta or Demarco that he could certainly win. Moving up to chase Rios is dumb.

Abril badly wants a rematch, but he will not get one. I suggest he stay at his weight division and dominate. There are some good fights with Gesta or Demarco that he could certainly win. Moving up to chase Rios is dumb.

He won't be able to get fight from now on. He is the NEW Winky Wright of the LWs. Good luck. He should beg for a fight with Booner. He is match up against him with his size and Adrian might take the fight to test the waters at LW.

Abril dominate at lightweight?

Abril the new Winky Wright? Come on. Guy had one mediocre performance against a weight drained pressure fighter.

Abril the new Winky Wright? Come on. Guy had one mediocre performance against a weight drained pressure fighter.

Yes is like Winky Wirght. Nobody is gonna want to fight him. He is gonna make people look bad, even in victory. I don't think he is gonna Dominate cause won't anybody fight him.

What you think, everybody is just gonna start lining up to fight him and bust his ass EASY or that Rios is give him a rematch right away. I bet we won't even see him in another TV fight the rest of the year. I even bet PEterson won't fight him. or any other Top 10 LW will fight him this yr.

I dunno about a mediocre fight, the guy did something nobody else did before him..... that same "weight drained pressure fighter" beat everyone else. The guy deserves credit.

I dunno about a mediocre fight, the guy did something nobody else did before him..... that same "weight drained pressure fighter" beat everyone else. The guy deserves credit.

Meh, I didn't see that at all. I saw two guys cancel each other out in an ugly fight. Don't mistake me for defending Rios, though I do like Rios. He looked like garbage in there. But Abril wasn't doing enough to be as dominant as people say.

I don't really believe holding and stalling is outboxing someone.

Back