Mark Lilla on Glenn Loury's show

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Mark Lilla was on Glenn Loury's show. I had been looking forward to listening to this and it was okay but didn't live up to my expectation.

Lilla makes a lot of good points. They key one:

"The point is not to speak truth to power. the point is to become the power."

There is a difference between political movements and electoral wins.

Lilla isn't interested in purity and noble losses that are outgrowths of identity politics. He wants people in power who share most of his principles of what he thinks America should be based.

Lilla's other main point is there can be no liberal politics without a sense of We—of what we are as citizens and what we owe each other. Identity politics and SJW types have good intentions trying to make sure everyone is treated equally under the law but are not good at building a sense of solidarity or a sense of we as Americans. For liberal politics to be effective it must have a dual goals of equality for all under the law for all and a sense of solidarity.

The talk of political ideology purity reminded me of Jerry Falwell Jr. during the election. You would think someone like an Evangelical Christian leader would get upset with the pussy grabbing comments and the multiple marriages and Trump's lifestyle.

But Jerry Falwell Jr said loosely paraphrasing during the election that we aren't trying to elect Jesus. People are sinners and we know that Trump is a dirtbag but we want someone in power that will put in place US Supreme Court Justices we like. So we will overlook or don't expect purity.

The talk of political ideology purity reminded me of Jerry Falwell Jr. during the election. You would think someone like an Evangelical Christian leader would get upset with the pussy grabbing comments and the multiple marriages and Trump's lifestyle.

But Jerry Falwell Jr said loosely paraphrasing during the election that we aren't trying to elect Jesus. People are sinners and we know that Trump is a dirtbag but we want someone in power that will put in place US Supreme Court Justices we like. So we will overlook or don't expect purity.

To put the election in a religious context relating to hell you have to see it this way. Trump is considered a minion of Satan while Hillary is a high ranking general in Satan's army. If forced to choose, then the Christian will choose a minion of Satan over a a high ranking member of Satan's army.

c735b442866a1a9a54a121b357f0505b.jpg

Back