Social Marijuana legalization is inevitable. How will it effect society?

More chill, less addicted to opioids, job creation.

I don't know bout the opioids. I think that's got a different cure and it doesn't seem to me that the people on that shit want alcohol or weed or anything else.

Society will be fine. Hemp and marijuana existed in civilized societies going back thousands of years. It wasn't until the late 19th century, early 20th century that it was stigmatized and eventually outlawed. The Weed Prohibition era should end soon, like the alcohol prohibition, it was a bad idea to begin with and lead to even more crime and people's lives being ruined.

I don't know bout the opioids. I think that's got a different cure and it doesn't seem to me that the people on that shit want alcohol or weed or anything else.

"The four states with recreational cannabis laws experienced a 7.6% reduction in opioid-related emergency department visits for six months after the law went into effect, compared to the states that didn't implement such laws."

Another statement:

"To explore this further, researchers examined relationships between medical and recreational cannabis stores (referred to as dispensaries) and opioid related deaths from 2014 to 2018.

Their findings are based on data for 812 counties within the 23 US states that allowed legal cannabis dispensaries to operate by the end of 2017.

Information on state level cannabis legislation was combined with county level data on licensed dispensaries and opioid related mortality rates.

After controlling for population characteristics and other potentially influential factors, the researchers found that counties with a higher number of active cannabis dispensaries were associated with reduced opioid related mortality rates.

According to this estimate, an increase from one to two dispensaries in a county was associated with an estimated 17% reduction in all opioid related mortality rates.

This association held for both medical and recreational dispensaries and appeared particularly strong for deaths associated with synthetic opioids other than methadone, with an estimated 21% reduction in mortality rates associated with an increase from one to two dispensaries."

It helps.

I think long term it could. You get injured, go to the doc, and they prescribe you pills. If it's legal, people might be more willing to try it for pain relief, rather than immediately go for the pills. I swear it's the only reason it's still illegal in some places. It theoretically could take some money out of big pharma's pockets.

I don't believe society would be effected very much at all.

More jobs, I suppose.

I think long term it could. You get injured, go to the doc, and they prescribe you pills. If it's legal, people might be more willing to try it for pain relief, rather than immediately go for the pills. I swear it's the only reason it's still illegal in some places. It theoretically could take some money out of big pharma's pockets.

I see you and his point. Yes if you go weed instead of pills than you might be making a great choice. If it works and you never start on the pills thats probably a good thing and i can sse that lowering the numbers a bit. I was kind of thinking about people that are on pills heroin and fenty already when I said I don't think weeds gonna help them and opiates is what they need/want.

I believe in Freedom and personal responsibility. FUCK YOU to any government telling me I can't use cannabis.

I fucking hate cannabis and will never use it, but goddamn I should have the freedom to do it.

It is weird that 'freedom' loving red states are full of shit and want to lick you ina dungeon for some weed. Hypocrite bullshit.

My mother once told me a story about what my father relayed to her when he was in the Vietnam war.

He had said that in his little company of men, there were two groups. The drinkers and the MJ smokers.

On any given night, the MJ smokers (of which he was one) would simply relax, listen to music, and laugh. However on any given night, the drinkers always had arguments, outright fistfights, and generally rude and obnoxious behavior.

What I'm saying is if more people become MJ smokers, and less drinkers, we won't have as many problems as MJ makes you complacent and takes away initiative, which can be initiative for both good and bad things. Personally, even if the Feds de-regulated MJ as Schedule 1, which is absolutely ridiculous in the first place, I don't think much would change as a society, except for the poor schmucks who are doing life sentences for selling/distributing MJ. Imagine that. Some dude stabs his mother 32 times, and because he was 17 at the time of the crime, he is incarcerated for less than 10 years. Meanwhile a different guy who has never hurt anyone, gets caught with a pound of MJ in his trunk and is sentenced to 25 years. Ass backwards if you ask me.

It's been legal in Canada for years. Nothing will change. It'll become more convenient for smokers. That's all.

One things for sure though , once it becomes legal you'll realize how absoloutly fucking stupid it was that it was ever illegal.

I hope it leads to mass adoption of hemp as a crucial part of manufacturing by replacing lumber among other things.

My mother once told me a story about what my father relayed to her when he was in the Vietnam war.

He had said that in his little company of men, there were two groups. The drinkers and the MJ smokers.

On any given night, the MJ smokers (of which he was one) would simply relax, listen to music, and laugh. However on any given night, the drinkers always had arguments, outright fistfights, and generally rude and obnoxious behavior.

What I'm saying is if more people become MJ smokers, and less drinkers, we won't have as many problems as MJ makes you complacent and takes away initiative, which can be initiative for both good and bad things. Personally, even if the Feds de-regulated MJ as Schedule 1, which is absolutely ridiculous in the first place, I don't think much would change as a society, except for the poor schmucks who are doing life sentences for selling/distributing MJ. Imagine that. Some dude stabs his mother 32 times, and because he was 17 at the time of the crime, he is incarcerated for less than 10 years. Meanwhile a different guy who has never hurt anyone, gets caught with a pound of MJ in his trunk and is sentenced to 25 years. Ass backwards if you ask me.
Sounds like a bunch of potheads about to get their ass whooped to me.
<mma4>

Nah I’m kidding. Alcohol is absolutely terrible. Fun, but terrible

It will NEVER be legal in Texas

Sounds like a bunch of potheads about to get their ass whooped to me.

Nah I’m kidding. Alcohol is absolutely terrible. Fun, but terrible

4mliet.png

20 years ago, my answer would be way different, but now, I don’t think it has a net effect. Not good or bad. It may yield the occasional robbery of a dispensary since it’s cash business and they can’t use banks because it’s still illegal federally, but other than that-nothing. I 100% dispute that it will solve our opioid crisis like they tried to pitch us years ago.

20 years ago, my answer would be way different, but now, I don’t think it has a net effect. Not good or bad. It may yield the occasional robbery of a dispensary since it’s cash business and they can’t use banks because it’s still illegal federally, but other than that-nothing. I 100% dispute that it will solve our opioid crisis like they tried to pitch us years ago.
Yeah I don’t believe that at all. I’m sure it can help some people manage it but not in mass numbers.

What we know can actually help a lot of people with addiction is psychedelic drugs like mushrooms an lsd used in a therapeutic session with a provider. It’s really kind of interesting how it works you should check it out if you haven’t seen it before

It will affect it similarly to alcohol.

Back