Marcus Browne vs Sergey Kovalev confirmed.

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Light heavyweight contender Marcus Browne (21-0, 16 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from Staten Island, New York, likely will challenge a Russian world titleholder in his next fight. Browne is the mandatory challenger for titlist Artur Beterbiev (12-0, 12 KOs) and that fight has been ordered, and it would go to a purse bid if the sides don’t make a deal. However, Browne has another seemingly more likely option. According to a source with knowledge of the discussions, Browne’s camp is in negotiations with Main Events and HBO about Browne challenging Sergey Kovalev (32-2-1, 28 KOs) for his title in June or July in New York.

i
Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer

Marcus Browne is from the home of the wu tang. For that reason I’ll cheer him on but I’m not hopeful

It sucks that Beterbiev can't get fights but I'll definitely watch this.

I only saw Browne's fight with Monaghan.... he looked good, but who's Monaghan?

Browne has a win over Campillo, but that's when Campillo's stock dropped.

Krusher by whatever he decides to do.

Getting pissed off we have so much talent in the division and guys in their prime and theyre not getting the fights done.

I was hoping that he would jump back in with the sharks next. He needs to after this one. Tons of great match-ups to be made at Light Heavyweight right now.

I think they're just building up Krusher/Bivol. Bivol needs at least one more fight before he's marketable enough that a Krusher/Bivol fight will stand out.

@Kovalev's "Man Bag"

What is stopping Kovalev and Beterbiev from fighting each other if they both seem to want it?

Probably the usual suspects (politics). Beterbiev just signed with Top Rank who worked with him for his last fight to win the purse bid when he fought Koelling on ESPN. I believe he's still advised by Haymon so it's a strange pairing. Kovalev is with Duva (Main Events) and still fights on HBO. Beterbiev also recently signed with the CAA's Nick Khan to negotiate his terms with Top Rank for his new contract. I'm not sure what his Top Rank contract stipulates or how flexible it is. How much he'll be working with Haymon in the future isn't yet clear. Beterbiev is still going through a legal battle with his former promoter, Yvon Michel. In May they'll be in court over their ongoing contract dispute.

Bivol is an HBO fighter like Kovalev which is the fight they're trying to build for 2019, apparently. In Beterbiev's case Top Rank will want to match him with Gvozdyk sooner or later given that Gvozdyk is another player in the same division and is now his stablemate. That will be on ESPN when it happens.

Kovalev is getting old. Wouldn't be surprised by an upset.

Probably the usual suspects (politics). Beterbiev just signed with Top Rank who worked with him for his last fight to win the purse bid when he fought Koelling on ESPN. I believe he's still advised by Haymon so it's a strange pairing. Kovalev is with Duva (Main Events) and still fights on HBO. Beterbiev also recently signed with the CAA's Nick Khan to negotiate his terms with Top Rank for his new contract. I'm not sure what his Top Rank contract stipulates or how flexible it is. How much he'll be working with Haymon in the future isn't yet clear. Beterbiev is still going through a legal battle with his former promoter, Yvon Michel. In May they'll be in court over their ongoing contract dispute.

Bivol is an HBO fighter like Kovalev which is the fight they're trying to build for 2019, apparently. In Beterbiev's case Top Rank will want to match him with Gvozdyk sooner or later given that Gvozdyk is another player in the same division and is now his stablemate. That will be on ESPN when it happens.
Thanks. I saw an article after Kovalev's last fight where Duva said Beterbiev was their first choice.

Hopefully one the court case is over he can get a lot more active instead of this one fight per year bullshit.

I only saw Browne's fight with Monaghan.... he looked good, but who's Monaghan?

Browne has a win over Campillo, but that's when Campillo's stock dropped.
I only heard of Monaghan before their fight because Stevenson wanted to fight him. And when I saw Browne destroy him I knew why Stevenson wanted him.

I hope Kovalev wins, but he didn't look great a few weeks ago. He did not seem interested in finishing the fight.

I've liked Browne from what I've seen but this is probably too big of a step up for him. Kovalev will show he is still at the top level.

Kovalev is the type of guy who I wouldn't be shocked to see decline very quickly, but as long as he's still close to his best, I think he is the class of the division.

Back