International Man made climate change

Question about climate change for the knowledgeable. I see the science, but can't wrap my head around one thing.

If we're causing it, and it's such a new occurrence, how do you explain all of the variable temperatures years, hundreds, thousands, millions of years before? We've had massive heat waves worse than most in the early 1900s. We have had years and years long ice ages, heat ages that changed Earth's form, etc. Earth survived it all.

How do we know that it isn't just earth being earth now, given the history?

I guess the biggest clue is the graph below, do you see the spike in the C02 levels since 1950, this us undoubtedly us and our contribution through industrialization (Though I'm open to other theories). CO2 as you know is a greenhouse gas and what scientists found through satellite data was a drop in outgoing radiation at the wavelength bands that greenhouse gases absorb energy. The change in outgoing radiation is consistent with theoretical expectations.

* Let me know if this doesn't make sense

194_co2-graph-021116.jpeg

Thanks bro.

Ok so then I would say are "we" actually responsible for anything. Or is it just earth doing earth things? Like take this for example.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-higher-in-past.htm

Would this not argue that all the CO2 emissions talk is irrelevant, based on history of previous environmental effects on Earth?

Obviously the biggest factor in the temperature of the earth is solar output, in the Ordavician period Solar activity was 4% lower than current levels so CO2 wasn't as large of a factor. What we are seeing now is solar levels at consistent levels and CO2 levels increasing with temperature and strong evidence that CO2 is causing the change.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-was-higher-in-late-Ordovician.htm

I've always argued that even if climate change isn't real, we should still get off fossil fuels. Why?

1. Fossil fuels will run out eventually. Better to be prepared.

2. I'm tired of giving disgustingly horrible regimes like Saudi Arabia money and power through oil.

I feel like both conservatives and liberals should be able to agree with those 2 points.

I'm pretty sure we figured out global warming some time ago. We found this giant star in the center of our solar system. The center of this star reaches about 27,000,000 Fahrenheit.

I'm pretty sure we figured out global warming some time ago. We found this giant star in the center of our solar system. The center of this star reaches about 27,000,000 Fahrenheit.
checkmate Scientists!

I believe we may be speeding things up, as any hill covered in ants will change over time - but the planet is naturally warming from its last glacial period. There really isn't anything we could do to stop that. Would be nice if people would stop being polluting assholes, though.

See, you guys. Even The Liberal Diplomat thinks that we should ignore climate science. Case closed.

See, you guys. Even The Liberal Diplomat thinks that we should ignore climate science. Case closed.
How was I implying that we should just ignore it? That's not what I said at all.

Do you believe that we are still warming from the last glacial period, roughly 12,000~ years ago?

Do you have any evidence for this theory that isn't based on a climate model?

If your theory is true, to what precise degree can we measure what warming can be attributed to humanity?

TSI data is measured by satellites, not modeled. One cannot measure the amount of warming attributed to humanity because there isn't a control planet with no people; instead, you use physics to estimate the anthropogenic part. The estimate is that the earth should be cooling slightly (without the anthropogenic part). On the other hand, the people doing the research are idiots and criminals, and you are a genius, so I guess that's why your opinion matters.

Last edited:
The only solution is the end of modern civilization.

If we REALLY cared about the planet, we wouldnt have given indigenous people smallpox and banished them to reservations so that we could install our McDonalds and Starbucks all over the globe.

i wonder what the impact of removing taco bell would have on climate change. since the o zone is being depleted by cow farts and all. stop the beef stop the farts kill the cows. Lets change.org
You're joking but it is true, beef is not an environmentally friendly livestock. Cuba is the only developed country that is also environmentally sustainable. Part of that is because they're not wealthy or free enough to consume the way Western countries do to be fair. But they also heavily regulate their beef consumption much to the chagrin of Cubans who lament that slaughtering a cow is a greater offense in Cuba than killing a person and that the beef is primarily harvested for tourists.

So yeah, we should indeed drastically reduce our consumption of beef and red meat in general. Pork is more environmentally friendly than red meat but poultry is the most sustainable source of animal protein by far, partly because you can also harvest eggs from them in addition to meat and also because they reproduce more and mature far faster.

It became political because of Al Gore and big oil.

Since Gore was tied to it, if you are on the right, you naturally have to be against it. They also saw it as an attack on the oil and fossil fuel industry.

money can’t fix this issue says conservative morons and the entire Republican Party.

Well except money and policy fixed the acid rain and the ozone hole issues decades back.
Could you please explain how these were fixed by spending money. I know that no one's talking about those issues anymore so I'm assuming that you're right.

Could you please explain how these were fixed by spending money. I know that no one's talking about those issues anymore so I'm assuming that you're right.

Lol by passing policy and having it funded.

Addressing climate change requires making choices over values. That is inherently political and there is absolutely no avoiding that. Nothing that requires us to change our choice-values can be not political.

The party in power opposes the science because they value their personal business relationships above the health and safety of the people. This puts them in the position of being both morally and factually wrong. This creates partisanship when opposed to any possible political parties who value the truth and the safety and health of people over the profits of businesses, and the profits of their friends.

It's the nature of the thing. Asking a Republican to address climate change is like asking Roy Moore not to fuck teenagers. It doesn't matter if it's obviously right. Right has nothing to do with this.
tumblr_nm2gcxrE7g1qznj8ho1_400.gif

How is this a partisan issue?

I would really like to see science creep into politics instead of being pushed aside as fast as possible.

This goes for both parties, although if we are being honest it's mainly the right wing posters who excel in science denial on this site. You can see the numerous evolution threads for proof of this.

It now seems the same line of thinking is overtaking the party with man made climate change. Pure science denial leading to disagreements on an issue that shouldn't cross party lines.

mods can we make a poll on who believes in man made climate change.

I hate to break it to you man but "science" is just as political as anything else. You don't think there aren't alot of people, groups, institutions, governments, ect that greatly benefit from the idea of fighting global warming/climate change? You think they are going to be quick to just accept and embrace findings that may disgrace their life's work, reputation, purpose, funding, ect and leave themselves without a livelihood?

You can't just be lazy and appeal to whatever the scientific consensus appears to be because you may be just falling to routine politics. I know it sucks but you have to look at these things for yourself and decide.

Same in Denmark. Heatwave since the beginning of may. This summer is breaking records world wide.

That is funny Northeast USA has been pretty cool. We did get one week beginning of July with high humidity but for most part, we have been dry. While I hear SoCal is getting blasted.

But that has to travel a long way to get here first, so it will be dispersed over a huge area, like huge.

You're joking but it is true, beef is not an environmentally friendly livestock. Cuba is the only developed country that is also environmentally sustainable. Part of that is because they're not wealthy or free enough to consume the way Western countries do to be fair. But they also heavily regulate their beef consumption much to the chagrin of Cubans who lament that slaughtering a cow is a greater offense in Cuba than killing a person and that the beef is primarily harvested for tourists.

So yeah, we should indeed drastically reduce our consumption of beef and red meat in general. Pork is more environmentally friendly than red meat but poultry is the most sustainable source of animal protein by far, partly because you can also harvest eggs from them in addition to meat and also because they reproduce more and mature far faster.

There has to be some way to suck up all the cow farts though. Why cant we just put some filters out in the fields with the cows, or mount them on ATVs that will travel with the roaming cows? They will be constantly sucking in the surrounding air, and capturing the methane.

Back