Making an uppercut bag from a heavy bag?

BsAs

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anybody tried this before? I've got an old 60lb. canvas bag that I want to turn into an uppercut bag, but I don't know the best way to put straps on the other end. Would it be better to put straps on somehow (rivet gun?) or to shoot a threaded bar through the whole thing and put nuts on the end? Any tips from anyone who knows how to hold a tool would be appreciated.

you could loop chains or ropes on either end and hang it from them instead of going through the hassle of trying to attach straps.

I did it with an old 40lb everlast bag.

I wouldn't use too big a bag on this idea, they get hard on the hands and wrists if you got that much weight in there.

If you're just looking to hang it horizontally, you could cut a piece of unistrut the length (or a little shorter) than your bag, loop webbing through the slots where you want to hold the bag, then one through the middle to hang it from. The unistrut should keep it from sagging and you won't have to modify your heavy bag.
photo of 2 pieces of unistrut below in case you don't know what it is - available at Home Depot
unistrut.jpg

If you're just looking to hang it horizontally, you could cut a piece of unistrut the length (or a little shorter) than your bag, loop webbing through the slots where you want to hold the bag, then one through the middle to hang it from. The unistrut should keep it from sagging and you won't have to modify your heavy bag.
photo of 2 pieces of unistrut below in case you don't know what it is - available at Home Depot
unistrut.jpg

what kind of webbing would u use??

what kind of webbing would u use??

I'd just use 1" flat or 1" tubular webbing. Since they're not holding a whole lot of weight each either flat or tubular would be fine.
You could lay the unistrut on the top of the bag, use one loop for each side (through one of the slots so it doesn't shift), then a loop through a couple of the middle slots so it hangs evenly.
You can buy that type of webbing by-the-foot where you buy rock climbing equipment or camping supplies (like an army-navy).

Good stuff, I'm gonna pick up some unistrut today and give it a shot. Thanks a million.

Good stuff, I'm gonna pick up some unistrut today and give it a shot. Thanks a million.

In case you run into a moron at HD who doesn't know what you're talking about, it's over by the conduit in the electrical aisle.
edit:
FYI unistrut is used for hanging up ducting, ventilation, electrical stuff, and all other kinds of heavy things. It comes in 2 thicknesses depending on how much weight it needs to hold. The great thing about it, is the adjustability and strength. So for instance if you've got a couple of different bags to hang up, you can run the unistrut perpendicular to your floor joists (ceiling rafters) so the weight is distributed across several joists instead of just hanging from 1. Put lag screws in a couple of the joists, then you can hang bags in a few locations and move them out of the way if your space is limited when you're not using them. They're a little ugly to look at, but if your gym is in your basement, studio, or garage, then it might not be an issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back