Mainstream food that people from other places find gross.

i ate a cow heart in peru
sounds gross
i didnt know what it was til i was done
it was good

We have a dish called a horseshoe. Two large pieces of toasted bread and two hamburger patties covered in tons of french fries then drowned in a “cheese sauce”.
It may not compare to more exotic fare, but I’ve seen looks of horror when visitors first see it.

Haring! You chop up a raw herring, throw some chopped onions and some pickle on that shit and presto! I don't like it but it's a typical dutch thing.Haring,_hollandse_nieuwe_25006ECF2DF661D6C125786100492594.jpg

It's easy for me since I'm Asian and this is a largely westerners populated forum.

Chicken Feet
25285f86-214RC_Seonkyoung_KoreanChickenFeet_DishPort1.jpg

Durian

Kway Chap - this is basically rice flour board noodles with pig internal organs.

Here in South Florida there are a lot of immigrants and transplants that bring their own national/regional dishes that might seem strange to people not from there. Also, some of the local stuff we eat seems strange. We have the largest illegal horse meat market in the country. There's a bar and grill around the way that serves alligator, snake and frog from the Everglades (tried them all). Colombian, Mexican and Jewish restaurants serve beef tongue (tried them all). You can get Cincinnati chili, which is usually spaghetti or sometimes hot dogs, covered with a strange, sweet spiced chili and a TON of shredded cheddar cheese (strangely satisfying). Also, Primanti Brothers sandwiches from Pittsburgh which are all types of breakfast and lunch sandwiches covered with cole slaw (mayo free) and french fries within the sandwich itself (pretty damn good).

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wd7bmm/illegal-horse-butchers-are-running-wild-across-florida (warning: some graphic images)

Here in South Florida there are a lot of immigrants and transplants that bring their own national/regional dishes that might seem strange to people not from there. Also, some of the local stuff we eat seems strange. We have the largest illegal horse meat market in the country. There's a bar and grill around the way that serves alligator, snake and frog from the Everglades (tried them all). Colombian, Mexican and Jewish restaurants serve beef tongue (tried them all). You can get Cincinnati chili, which is usually spaghetti or sometimes hot dogs, covered with a strange, sweet spiced chili and a TON of shredded cheddar cheese (strangely satisfying). Also, Primanti Brothers sandwiches from Pittsburgh which are all types of breakfast and lunch sandwiches covered with cole slaw (mayo free) and french fries within the sandwich itself (pretty damn good).

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wd7bmm/illegal-horse-butchers-are-running-wild-across-florida (warning: some graphic images)

Grilled Ox Tongue are tasty. It's chewy and favorful, I actually prefer it over Filet Mignon but they aren't serve in many restaurants unless Japanese grills restaurants.
My typical preference of steaks are Porterhouse > Ribeye > Filet Mignon.

Not sure I'd say gross, but out-of-towners and tourists often think chicken fried steak is gross...until they try it.

chicken-fried-steak-vertical-b-1200.jpg

chicken-fried-steak.jpg

i ate a cow heart in peru
sounds gross
i didnt know what it was til i was done
it was good

You should try Grilled chicken heart. I had it few years back in a ALL MEAT buffet restaurant called Carnivore. It was the bomb! I'm sure the seasonings they used helped, but the chicken hearts are bite size and crunchy, in a sense, and it was a delight to eat. It came Kebab style.

The one on the right

That looks good.

I think its good. Some people don't like it but yea, its good with anything like mashed potatoes, chicken fried chicken or steak, you know, heart stopping shit.

Wherever it's mainstream to eat pigeons...yuck.
Also frog legs in France, fuck that shit.

It’s fucking heavenly, one of my absolute favorite sides

Yea I've had it for most of my life. Its one of those southern sides that if you go up north and ask for it they won't even know wtf you are talking about.

Wherever it's mainstream to eat pigeons...yuck.
Also frog legs in France, fuck that shit.
Love frog legs, never had them in France but we gig for them here and fry them up.

Are frogs are big though some are almost chicken leg size

Definitley Vegemite.

It's because other countries don't understand that you're not supposed to lather that shit on bread and toast like it's Nutella or Peanut Butter. Vegemite is the bomb with a minuscule light spread and the right amount of melted butter on toast. I have it most mornings for breakfast.
Vegemite is the greatest thing in existence. Went there couple years back to see my family and ingot addicted to the shit. Toast with Vegemite, scrambled eggs and back bacon err day while I was there.

I still eat it till this day.

Back