Maia is a legend

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
There are many fighters who's called a legend nowadays, and if you fight a couple times in Octagon in the UFC, you are called "UFC" veteran.

I feel like it's just yesterday that Maia ragdolled and put his balls on Chael Sonnen's ugly mug, but I suppose it's already been like a decade already.

Demian Maia is one of those few fighters who can be called a legend without much complaints

Some people are high on Woodley for whatever reason, but personally I don't think he's anything special, and will lose very soon to Colby or Usman.

Maia is. But match ups make fights.

maiasonnenthrow.gif

Like Joe Dirt?

I love him, he's a BJJ wizard, and I do agree that styles make fights.

But I don't think he's a legend. We're way too generous with those terms sometimes, I swear we are.

Never won a title in any organization and got thoroughly outclassed by both champions he fought in the sport. Maybe a legend in BJJ but not MMA.

Agree, and he's one of the nicest guys on the sport. All the respect and props to him. It's just time is up for him and I think we can all agree

Actually one of Usman's excuses for his performance or lack thereof last night (aside from his broken hands) was that he fought a legend with a very hard frontal lobe for the first time. You can't make this shit up.

A legend of what? The most boring fights in history? The worst striking ever? The least evolved fighter?

The only fight of his I like is the Nate Marquadt one

he's been in the sport a long time, and to me he's been more of a gatekeeper than a legend but whatever

Actually one of Usman's excuses for his performance or lack thereof last night (aside from his broken hands) was that he fought a legend with a very hard frontal lobe for the first time. You can't make this shit up.
excuses?....cmon man. giving credit were credit is due is excuses now

All fighters in my sig are Legends.

Legendary boring.

Isn't the definition of legend somebody who is very successful and famous in their field? At the very least he's a legend as far as bjj goes.

If Maia is a legend, than so is Fitch. He was the 2nd best WW for years, and is still a good fighter at age 40. He has wins over Shields, Okami and Paul Daley in the last few years. Of course, the "I hate boring grapplers" crowd won't like this either...

excuses?....cmon man. giving credit were credit is due is excuses now

Saying your fight sucked because you fought a legend for the first time is 100% an excuse. Conor fought a much bigger legend in Jose Aldo who was the actual champion for the first time, and destroyed him mentally and physically in an OMFG WTF JUST HAPPENED fight. Your opponent being a legend has shit to do with you fighting a boring ass fight, not to mention Maia's status as a legend is highly debatable.

So that's another legend Anderson beat on top of others like Hendo, Sakurai, Vitor etc. Dummy TS continues to add to Silva's legacy even though she's a hater.

<{silvanormal}>

He may be a legend in BJJ circles but he is not a legendary MMA fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

He never won any titles, both his attempts to win a title were very poor, he has received a performance bonus in only 25% of his fights, has almost 30 fights in the UFC without a knockout, he never pulled in a really high amount of PPV figures, etc etc, need I go on?

He is a good fighter but no where near a legend against any metric other than his BJJ ability

Back