Luc Besson's VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS (Final Trailer Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: May 12, 2015

Luc Besson to Write and Direct VALERIAN; Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne to Star

Valerian-Title-Card-Dragonlord.jpg

With his action-thriller Lucy having smashed all expectations, earning in excess of $450 million last year, Luc Besson is oiling the wheels on his next directorial project. Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne have been lined up to take the leads in his big-screen adaptation of the science fiction novel Valerian. Besson broke the news Tuesday via Twitter in his first ever tweet.

Valerian will see the French filmmaker write and direct the film, with his wife, Virginie Besson Silla, producing for Besson's EuropaCorp banner, which will finance, produce and distribute.

DeHaan is set to play the titular character, a space and time-traveling agent from a futuristic Earth, with Delevingne starring as his red-haired companion, Laureline. Production is set to begin at the end of this year, with a global release slated for summer 2017. Created in 1967 by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mezieres, Valerian has sold more than 10 million copies in 21 languages.

Luc Besson Teams With Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne for Sci-Fi Epic 'Valerian'

Update: August 19, 2015

Clive Owen to Star in Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Film VALERIAN

Clive-Owen-Valerian-Dragonlord.jpg

Luc Besson has set Clive Owen to star alongside Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2) and Cara Delavingne (Paper Towns) in Valerian, the $180 million budget sci-fi film that is based on a comic series he loved as a child. It is an adaptation of the iconic French sci-fi graphic novel series from writers Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières that first appeared in 1967. Owen will play Commander Arün Filitt.

The film will begin shooting early next year. Besson gathered a handful of reporters in the back room of a bar during Comic-Con to show us the storyboards for the film, which is actually called Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets. It is a big bet for his indie company EuropaCorp, and the visuals conveyed a futuristic world with these amazing creatures and vistas that looked like Star Wars meets Blade Runner meets Besson’s The Fifth Element.

There are only five major human characters and dozens of crazy-looking creatures, and we hear he’s already clearing space in his Paris studio because he’s going to need all the soundstages. Besson didn’t reveal the film’s plot, only the world he is building, and it looked exquisite. He told the reporters that he thought he had the script ready several years ago, but tore it up after watching Avatar and realizing he had a lot more work to do. Now, he is ready.

Clive Owen Set to Join Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic Adventure ‘Valerian’

Update: October 28, 2015

Rihanna Joins Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic Adventure VALERIAN

Rihanna-Valerian-102815b-Dragonlord.jpg

Director Luc Besson took to Instagram today to announce that Grammy Award winner Rihanna has joined the cast of his upcoming film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, in what he calls "a big part." She joins a cast that includes Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, and Clive Owen. Production is set to begin at the end of 2015.

Adapted for the screen and directed by Besson (Lucy, The Fifth Element), the film will be the most expensive film yet produced and distributed by his EuropaCorp banner. It is based on the French comic series Valerian and Laureline by Pierre Christin and artist Jean-Claude Mézières. Created in 1967, the comic has since sold over 10 million copies in 21 languages.

In the story, Valerian (DeHaan) and Laureline (Delevingne) are exploring Syrte, capital planet of a system of 1,000 worlds. Their mission is to discover whether the Syrtians could present a danger to Earth. What they find is a decaying empire led by decadent aristocrats, a population ripe for revolution, and a mysterious caste of masked wise men who discreetly pull the strings from hidden fortresses. Swept up by the winds of history, the agents of Earth will have to choose a side.

Rihanna previously made her big screen debut in Peter Berg's 2012 film Battleship and has gone on to appear in Sony's Annie remake, provided a voice in the animated film Home, and as "herself" in This Is the End.

Rihanna Joins Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne in Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic 'Valerian'

If the cast was different I'd be really interested in Valerian.

I'm not liking this on going trend of models and singers getting roles over trained actors. What's the point of doing all studying and auditioning if someone who is famous with no acting background will ultimately get chosen?

If the cast was different I'd be really interested in Valerian.

I'm not liking this on going trend of models and singers getting roles over trained actors. What's the point of doing all studying and auditioning if someone who is famous with no acting background will ultimately get chosen?

It's understandable since Rihanna is a big name that can help finance the project and find distributors and sell tickets.

But I just can't get too excited about Valerian. I don't trust Luc Besson nowadays.

Valerian could be the next Jupiter Ascending.

Update: December 6, 2015

Ethan Hawke Joins Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic VALERIAN

Ethan-Hawke-Valerian-120615-Dragonlord.jpg

Ethan Hawke has joined the cast of Luc Besson’s sci-fi novel adaptation Valerian. The director posted the news on Saturday via Instagram. Besson noted in his post that he has wanted to work with Hawke for years. Hawke joins Clive Owen, Rihanna, Cara Delevingne and Dane DeHaan in the film. Besson previously announced the addition of Rihanna to the cast through his Instagram account as well.

The $180 million film is based on the 1967 novel by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mezieres. DeHaan will play the titular space- and time-traveling character, while Delevingne will play his red-haired companion. Besson is writing and directing Valerian, which is expected to start production in January. Virginie Besson-Silla will produce on behalf of EuropaCorp, which is financing, producing and distributing the pic.

Valerian is set to hit theaters on July 21, 2017. Hawke starred as jazz trumpeter Chet Baker in Born to Be Blue and will appear in the MGM remake of the Western classic The Magnificent Seven, which is slated for a Sept. 23 release.

Ethan Hawke Joins Clive Owen and Cara Delevingne in Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Valerian

Update: December 12, 2015

Herbie Hancock, Yes, That Herbie Hancock, Joins VALERIAN

Herbie-Hancock-Valerian-121215-Dragonlord.jpg

Herbie Hancock has joined the cast of Luc Besson's sci-fi epic Valerian. The French director announced the news on Instagram Saturday morning, informing followers that, "Herbie Hancock is a legend. His music was my only friend at 14... I learn so much listening this genius... I'm proud to have him for a role in #Valerian."

Though the Grammy and Oscar-winning musician's role is unknown for the graphic novel adaption, if it's anything like Rihanna's role, according to the director, it will be "big." Hancock joins the "Diamond" singer, Ethan Hawke, Cara Delevingne and Dane DeHaan in the film, who is set to play the titular character, a space and time-traveling agent from a futuristic Earth, with Delevingne starring as his red-haired companion, Laureline.

Production is slated to begin at the end of 2015. Besson is writing and directing the film with Virginie Besson-Silla as producer on of EuropaCorp, which is financing, producing and distributing the sci-fi film. Valerian is due for release in theaters July 21, 2017.

Herbie Hancock Joins Ethan Hawke and Rihanna in Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic 'Valerian'

Update: January 4, 2016

Set Photo of Cara Delevingne from Luc Besson's VALERIAN

Production has officially started on director Luc Besson’s upcoming film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which the director says will last for 115 days, and the first Cara Delevingne photo from the set has arrived via her Instagram account.

Delevingne leads the cast with Dane DeHaan as the two lead characters in the comic adaptation. The pair are joined by Clive Owen, Ethan Hawke, and Grammy Award winners Herbie Hancock and Rihanna. Adapted for the screen and directed by Besson (Lucy, The Fifth Element), the film will be the most expensive film yet produced and distributed by his EuropaCorp banner. It is based on the French comic series Valerian and Laureline.

10810053_931549890255982_184214059_n.jpg

Cara Delevingne Photo from the Set of Luc Besson’s Valerian

Production has officially started on director Luc Besson’s upcoming film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which the director says will last for 115 days, and the first Cara Delevingne photo from the set has arrived via her Instagram account.

Delevingne leads the cast with Dane DeHaan as the two lead characters in the comic adaptation. The pair are joined by Clive Owen, Ethan Hawke, and Grammy Award winners Herbie Hancock and Rihanna. Adapted for the screen and directed by Besson (Lucy, The Fifth Element), the film will be the most expensive film yet produced and distributed by his EuropaCorp banner. It is based on the French comic series Valerian and Laureline.

I have high hopes for this one.

wait, so this is not a dude?

Update: February 4, 2016

Luc Besson Shares New Behind-the-Scenes Images from VALERIAN

It's more than a year until audiences will get a chance to see the finished Valerian, Luc Besson's return to high space opera sci-fi following 1997's The Fifth Element, but in the meantime, the director is offering tantalizing teases of what to expect.

The movie — an adaptation of a 1960s French comic strip about a time traveling cop protecting the timestream created by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mezieres — features an eclectic all-star cast including Ethan Hawke, Rihanna, Herbie Hancock, Suicide Squad's Cara Delevingne and Clive Owen. Dane DeHaan will play the title role.

Besson is writing and directing the adaptation, currently in production, as well as using social media to act as the project's hype-man, sharing images of sets and cast on Instagram:

"Day 4 Happy actors!!!"

"DAY 12 Welcome to planet Kyrian!"

"DAY 13 Creatures on Kyrian..."

"End of 3rd week."

"DAY17 Lost in the desert...."

"DAY 19 Blue day....."

Luc Besson Teases Time-Traveling 'Valerian' In Behind the Scenes Images

Lucy made 450 mill? I barely remember it being released.

I like Besson, but I thought Lucy was vastly overrated. The heroine of the action movie was in grave danger at first, but she got so powerful so fast it made the movie much less exciting than it could have been. That's one of the reason die hard was so good. Matrix 1 handled protagonist power progression iquite well. I hope he can handle it better.

Update: March 24, 2016

First Official VALERIAN Image Featuring Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne

12901018_1147300875314668_4214850290569119039_o.jpg

Luc Besson is so hit and miss, I don't know what to expect really.

Luc Besson is so hit and miss, I don't know what to expect really.

He fucking crushed it three films in a row with La Femme Nikita, Leon and The Fifth Element. Those are three of my all time favorite films, and then everything else since has been mediocre at best.

"Luc Besson scifi movie! Dis gon' be good!"
*I open thread*
"Clive Owen starring. Yup, looking goo ...Oh, Rihanna."
*Leaves thread*

Anyone familiar with the source material at all? It seems like a kind of generic high concept description.

Also, I find the lack of Jean Reno disturbing.

Update: March 25, 2016

First Official Stills from Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Epic VALERIAN

French director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, Lucy) was 10 years old when he fell under the spell of Valérian and Laureline. The comic book, which began publication in 1967 and is considered an ancestor of Star Wars and Avatar, tells the adventures of two space agents who solve crimes in intergalactic worlds.

Valerian includes 2,400 F/X shots. (The Fifth Element contained only about 200.) Besson is coy about the plot (and secret roles played by actors including Rihanna) but says his ultimate goal is to create a sci-fi fantasia that will also appeal to non-devotees of the genre. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets opens in theaters in June 2017.

srjsfgjiluil.jpg

hiljhilhiljodgsd.jpg

tksydkt.jpg

sjfhsfhfshsjethk.jpg

First Look: See exclusive images from Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back