lower back pain after squats

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So, i have been doing some squats...back squats its 3x5 then 3x3...then 3x10 front squats...ive been doing a linear progression for a while.

i am currently squatting heavier than i ever did...

i still feel like i can make progress and i use a belt for the heaviest sets.

BUT

my lower back is sore after every squatting session.
Im doing it 3x a week (monday, wednesday, friday)
i am focusing on squats right now...

so, as this never happened to me before...im guessing its because its too heavy and...is normal

is that correct? do you feel soreness in your lower back after a squatting session?
thank you

I can't imagine doing three sets of 10 on front squats. Have you identified this is caused from back squats or could it be from front squats?

I can't imagine doing three sets of 10 on front squats. Have you identified this is caused from back squats or could it be from front squats?

i have no idea man
whats the deal with 3x10 front squats? current weight is not so heavy: 73 kg (160 lbs) and i do it beltless... what do you think?

i have no idea man
whats the deal with 3x10 front squats? current weight is not so heavy: 73 kg (160 lbs) and i do it beltless... what do you think?

If I was you, I'd do sessions with just back squats and others with just front squats to see if you can identify which causes problems. Are you holding the front squats in the clean position? For sets of 10, I'd think most people would struggle with the upper body and rack position and could get folded. I've seen a lot of people round their lower back on front squats when their rack position suffers.

If I was you, I'd do sessions with just back squats and others with just front squats to see if you can identify which causes problems. Are you holding the front squats in the clean position? For sets of 10, I'd think most people would struggle with the upper body and rack position and could get folded. I've seen a lot of people round their lower back on front squats when their rack position suffers.

well, that might be a good idea. i will try it

no, i do it with arms crossed in front of me.
i dont know exactly what youre saying about rack position but i can tell you...i just dont lift heavier because racking and unracking the bar is awfull. The squat rack is not adjustable and i have to rack and unrack in a very awkward way, like, forcing myself to reach it

If you can do it, high rep front squats are supreme. I do sets of 10-15 sometimes.

TS do you stretch/ foam roll afterwards? Specifically do you stretch your hips out at all?

If you can do it, high rep front squats are supreme. I do sets of 10-15 sometimes.

TS do you stretch/ foam roll afterwards? Specifically do you stretch your hips out at all?

no, i do not stretch hips before or after.

i just stretch hamstrings and calves and pecs.
no foam roll. i seen it somewhere it is not good to use it on lower back...

no, i do not stretch hips before or after.

i just stretch hamstrings and calves and pecs.
f29.png

OP it's kinda hard to figure out what the issue is without seeing a vid of you squatting. Film yourself next time.

IMO it's probably safer to do high rep front squats than high rep back squats. If you start to round your back on front squats the bar will simply roll off your shoulders, whereas with back squats your back can look like the letter C and you can still continue to squat.

OP it's kinda hard to figure out what the issue is without seeing a vid of you squatting. Film yourself next time.

IMO it's probably safer to do high rep front squats than high rep back squats. If you start to round your back on front squats the bar will simply roll off your shoulders, whereas with back squats your back can look like the letter C and you can still continue to squat.

Not sure I agree with that. Plenty of people can finish out reps on front squats with their elbows pointed down. The battle becomes trying to keep the elbows up with the rack position and the lower back rounds. Obviously I've seen a lot of people get folded back squatting, but at least their focus isn't on keeping the rack and it's on getting back upright. Their back is having to put in a lot more work, but it's not necessarily rounded.

I mean we'll never be able to tell without video or without him isolating between the two lifts. People have enough trouble getting down the back squat, and a lot of times they are jumping into front squats without really having down the back squat with the rack position causes even more issues.

I'm having trouble with whatever site you posted the vids on. I was able to watch the first one, but only once. You could possibly be rounding when you first come up out of the hole, but I'd need to rewatch. I'd definitely back squat one day and front squat another to see if you can identify which is the culprit. Maybe both though...

I'm having trouble with whatever site you posted the vids on. I was able to watch the first one, but only once. You could possibly be rounding when you first come up out of the hole, but I'd need to rewatch. I'd definitely back squat one day and front squat another to see if you can identify which is the culprit. Maybe both though...
sorry about that
check it in here, its the last two videos https://www.instagram.com/lhuca85/

Is it pain or soreness? You get slightly folded on some reps, so you are definitely using your back. That's not a problem though, but if you aren't used to it, you are going to get sore. I'd be interested to see the front squats though. If you are folding somewhat on your back squat, I'd be curious how you are making the reps on front squats which forces you to stay more upright. I really wouldn't be surprised to see you folding a little bit and your lower back rounding when trying to save the rack position. It's pretty common for people new to front squats. I catch myself doing it at high weights and I've been front squatting for a long time.

dude, i think the correct word would be stiffness...i get stiff as fuck..i dont know, its not really soreness as the quads get after a super heavy session...there is no DOMS, but there is a little pain

my lower back gets very stiff..thats it

your hips are rising faster than your torso. Some people call this the "good morning squat" error. your chest and hips must rise out of the squat at the same time (in sequence). Check out this Instagram post on how to fix it.

thanks @xnhojx !
i will work on this movement to try to fix my squat.
thank you very much!
@Oblivian i will try to post my front squats as soon as i record my next training day. thank you!

@frango No problem dude. Here's another video that goes into more depth about your problem. The rationale behind why your back hurts starts at 6:15 (i fast forwarded it for you)

Back