Low-Elbow Guillotine

sha

Geekjitsu Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
By now everybody has seen Marcelo's high-elbow guillotine, and it's generally regarded as a superior alternative to the traditional way of doing it (with your elbow close to your own body).

So does that mean we should stop teaching the low-elbow way? Is there any benefit to doing it the traditional way anymore? Anybody tried out the high-elbow and then went back to the low-elbow?

I'm asking because personally, I've never been able to get the high elbow working well. I'm trying to figure out if it's just because I haven't put enough reps in, or if it's just not always the right move for everybody?

i personally cannot for the life of me get the high elbow finish to my left side, but it works pretty money on my right side.

I know quite a few people who say it doesn't work well for them. It's all about personal preference, just like some people prefer to have the arm in/out, it's just an alternative.

I am also not sure if it is one of those moves where someone can get it right away because they are naturally gifted structurally to be able to pull it off.

Once I learned the high-elbow guillotine I never went back to the traditional method (except of course in situations where the high-elbow is blocked.)

Once I learned the high-elbow guillotine I never went back to the traditional method (except of course in situations where the high-elbow is blocked.)

I think this answer sums it up perfectly. The "low elbow" style might not be as efficient as the Marcelo style, but there will always be situations where it's more appropriate.

If I can't get the high elbow I basically can't finish, probably since about the only reason I can't get the high elbow is because my opponent started defending early.

Back