Low Carb diet Causes Insulin Resistance [new study]

KOPPE

אהיה אשר אהיה
@red
Reaction score
The study included 120 participants who were healthy, had a normal weight (BMI 25 kg/m2), and had no history of a major medical condition.
Overall, the findings of the study showed that, for the first time, low-carbohydrate intake in healthy individuals of a normal weight might lead to dysfunctional glucose homeostasis, increased metabolic acidosis, and the possibility of triggering inflammation by C-peptide elevation in plasma.

Low carbohydrate intake (<45% of total energy) was found to significantly correlate with dysregulated glucose homeostasis as measured by elevations in HOMA-IR, HOMA-β% assessment, and C-peptide levels. Low carbohydrate intake was also found to be coupled with lower serum bicarbonate and serum albumin levels, with an increased anion gap indicating metabolic acidosis

tumblr_momzmzEmfx1sv7lzeo1_500.gif

eat your crabs bros.

I don't trust this study. I see too many weird names.

Seriously though. It is only a 7 day study and the people aren't really low carb. It's just carbs making up less than 45 percent of diet. It's not really low carb as we know it. I am glancing through it while eating rice and meat. Maybe I will read the whole thing later.

Low carb diets do cause insulin resistance. Your body turns off the need to burn carbs as they should.

What all the shit mean?

it means ketosis is a physiologic state of survival, not a state of health or vigor...a state that the body goes into to survive a famine or a time where there are no natural carbohydrates anywhere.

it means ketosis is a physiologic state of survival, not a state of health or vigor...a state that the body goes into to survive a famine or a time where there are no natural carbohydrates anywhere.

Had a co-worker that ate a crapload of beef and turkey on a keto diet. Both high in iron. He donated platelets every week. He noticed his iron counts were going down. Turned out ketosis was causing his iron to deplete, even though he was eating an iron rich diet.

The study included 120 participants who were healthy, had a normal weight (BMI 25 kg/m2), and had no history of a major medical condition.
Overall, the findings of the study showed that, for the first time, low-carbohydrate intake in healthy individuals of a normal weight might lead to dysfunctional glucose homeostasis, increased metabolic acidosis, and the possibility of triggering inflammation by C-peptide elevation in plasma.

Low carbohydrate intake (<45% of total energy) was found to significantly correlate with dysregulated glucose homeostasis as measured by elevations in HOMA-IR, HOMA-β% assessment, and C-peptide levels. Low carbohydrate intake was also found to be coupled with lower serum bicarbonate and serum albumin levels, with an increased anion gap indicating metabolic acidosis

Respectfully, did you yourself read the entire study?

I've seen studies in the past with type 2 diabetes patients being on a low carb diet being able to control their diabetes with a low carb diet and getting off of some medications. the diet didn't work for everyone, I believe it tended to have around a 60% success rate.

I find the high carb Rice Diet created by Dr Walter Kempner fascinating. the high carb rice diet was used to treat type 2 diabetes. It had some success also, around 60% success rate if I recall right.

I don't trust this study. I see too many weird names.

Seriously though. It is only a 7 day study and the people aren't really low carb. It's just carbs making up less than 45 percent of diet. It's not really low carb as we know it. I am glancing through it while eating rice and meat. Maybe I will read the whole thing later.
You covered it well, but it's still shocking to me what passes as a study, how people will just read the title, and go along with it.

On a 2000 calorie diet, their definition of "low carbs" is still potentially over 200 grams. That's a garbage study.

You covered it well, but it's still shocking to me what passes as a study, how people will just read the title, and go along with it.

On a 2000 calorie diet, their definition of "low carbs" is still potentially over 200 grams. That's a garbage study.

Fat people be looking for hope

Back