Movies LOTR vs Star Wars Original

LOTR vs Star Wars

• LOTR

• Star Wars

Results are only viewable after voting.
LOTR movies were pretty good, but not great. Feel like everyone overplays their greatness, the books are infinitely better.

Star Wars movies were good, but very cheesy and not very original.; something that is nicer to have on as background noise and occasionally tuning in than actively watching the whole thing.

Guess I will go with LOTR

The books are almost always better but LOTR is still the best fantasy that's ever came out. Either you like fantasy or you don't but nothings topped it. An argument can be made for GOT but they fucked up so hard at the end nobody would really argue it.

1st 2 star wars movies are better than first 2 LOTR. But ROTK beats Jedi for final.

Hobbit trilogy series beats SW prequel series. But really both sucked basically.

I like both, but I never understood the obsession with Star Wars. It was cool when I was a kid in the 80's and they are decent Sci-Fi movies, but that's about it. The Lord of The Rings was good too, but both are trilogies that aren't really worthy of rewatching a bunch of times imo.

The books are almost always better but LOTR is still the best fantasy that's ever came out. Either you like fantasy or you don't but nothings topped it. An argument can be made for GOT but they fucked up so hard at the end nobody would really argue it.

What? Off the top of my head there's The Princess Bride, Pan's Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz... Better Fantasy has come out before and after the LOTR films. I am a big fan of the genre, I just don't think the LOTR films are some cinematic masterpiece, nor are they the benchmark for a great Fantasy movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but I'm certainly not thinking "no one has done it better than this" when I watch.

They (ewoks) dont annoy me at all.

I think it helps that the comedy with them and Han/3PO is genuinely funny, really that should be a bit of a lesson about what kind of comedy suits starwars rather than the pratfalls of the prequels of the bad sitcom zingers of the sequels.

Reactions: HHJ
Grew up on the original Star Wars but LOTR is a far better written, acted, shot and just overall better trilogy IMO. And I still love the original Star Wars trilogy, but LOTR took trilogies to another level.

Star Wars, easily.

This might be very unpopular but i don't like any of the Lord Of The Rings films, because they mostly suffer from unimaginative filmmaking and editing, i don't like how the films are paced, but they're mostly well made, shot and acted.

About half ot the scenes are;
  1. Close-ups of characters giving information plot-wise
  2. Adding close-up shots of whatever it is they’re talking about (either the object or like in the clip refered, Gandalf)
  3. Swooping shots through computer-generated landscapes; all green screen (not even close to The Hobbit's though)
  4. High, super bombastic music over all of it.
My main gripe is that while all of this is functional, it feels all cold.

For 3 hours films, this was probably the most efficient way to shoot so much footage with that budget so he had to keep the ASL as a minimum;

https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/the-evolution-of-film-over-time-a-brief-history/

Last edited:
What? Off the top of my head there's The Princess Bride, Pan's Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz... Better Fantasy has come out before and after the LOTR films. I am a big fan of the genre, I just don't think the LOTR films are some cinematic masterpiece, nor are they the benchmark for a great Fantasy movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but I'm certainly not thinking "no one has done it better than this" when I watch.

Princess Bride and The Wizard of Oz are dope, they aren't better than LOTR though and honestly I didnt even like pans labyrinth. Everyone has different taste but im pretty sure the majority would cite LOTR as the best fantasy in visual media.

I never liked Star Wars even as a child. LOTR is corny but at least there is some violence.

I guess LOTR is better, but SW was more meaningful and enjoyable for me.

I've never seen any Star Wars movie but did security for Star Wars performers. Due to the level of children I had to drop at those damn parties, I easily went LOTR.

<{cum@me}>

I love star wars cause i grew up with it. Its truly a great story of hope and revolutionized the sci fi genre, but it takes 2nd. LOTR is the greatest trilogy ive ever seen and a true feat of filmmaking.

You can't overstate what a big deal Star Wars was back in the day. I remember the first day of eighth grade the summer after Star Wars came out. The teacher asked the class to say how many times we saw it over the summer. I was towards to bottom end having seen it only 7 times. I remember one dude saw it 50 times.

Can't overstate what a cultural phenomenon it was.

This is pretty tough tbh. I grew up on the og Star Wars, but getting to experience the entire LoTR trilogy in the theater, there's nothing like it. The hype between releases and the reception every opening night was insane. I don't know if I'll ever experience another movie phenomenon like that in this lifetime, Endgame was no match.

I never got into star wars. It still doesn't interest me. The LOTR trilogy is a masterpiece when it comes to films and imo the best trilogy of all time.
Star Wars ranks above LOTR for me. If only because of the final sequence in LOTR trilogy which I found... long. I was leaning out the door for the last half hour. Epic moments for sure though, especially in second movie.

I'll see you those two and raise you a John Wick and a Jason Bourne.

If we're talking despecialized, then Star Wars.

Bumping this thread because Im thinking about buying the star wars trilogy but it's the original version

1977 theater version
1980 theater version
1983 theater version

It's pretty pricey but I've been told this version of Star wars is the best

Can anyone confirm?

Bumping this thread because Im thinking about buying the star wars trilogy but it's the original version

1977 theater version
1980 theater version
1983 theater version

It's pretty pricey but I've been told this version of Star wars is the best

Can anyone confirm?

I was a fan of the THX remastered theater versions that were released to home media prior to the release of the special edition in theaters.

Han still shot first, no added CGI to any of the films, no Jedi Rock, no redone Sarlacc, and Yub Yub on the outro motherfuckers.

It’s an impossible choice. I’ve watched these films hundreds of times and they’re all great. I think… ROTJ is the weakest of the 6 films, though.

Back