Looking for

powerBJJ

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some good websites where i can get some good functional training templates

Training is geared toward bjj and kickboxing

or if you know of any youtube channels that have some good things.

Much appreciated

look up the funk roberts guy on youtube. i think this is what you are looking for.

also, read the faq of this forum.

have fun

Hey guys I'm looking for some good websites where i can get some good functional training templates

Training is geared toward bjj and kickboxing

or if you know of any youtube channels that have some good things.

Much appreciated

Functional templates? Anyone can throw a hodge lodge template together and call it functional. I'd think most of the posters on here would have there training geared towards some martial art.

So, let me ask, do you know what your weakness is? How often do you train martial arts? Are you doing weight training and conditioning now?

Functional templates? Anyone can throw a hodge lodge template together and call it functional. I'd think most of the posters on here would have there training geared towards some martial art.

So, let me ask, do you know what your weakness is? How often do you train martial arts? Are you doing weight training and conditioning now?

I'm well aware someone can throw it together.

i was just looking for a sight to get some new ideas and programs already laid out.

everything else you asked isn't really relevant I'm just looking for suggestions, i can determine what will work or not work.

I've heard good things about Matt Furey.

'Functional training' is a hodge-podge of confused ideas and fads, mixed in with a little bit of truth (the little bit of truth is that at some point, some amount of sports-specific work will be very helpful).

A lot of 'functional training' is just stuff with unstable surfaces and awkward loads. Unstable surface training is good for training balance, for getting better at performing on unstable surfaces and for some kinds of rehab, and that's it. Awkward loads can be a good part of a training programme, if your sport involves moving awkward loads... but the best way to build your ability to move them is to mainly practice with a non-awkward load (i.e. a barbell) and then sometimes practice with the awkward load too.

Some 'functional training' is just HIIT or circuits. That's fine- if you need to do develop your anaerobic system more than your sport is already doing, then you should do that kind of thing, with sports-specific movements. But that's just one piece of the conditioning puzzle. For a lot of people low-intensity work plus their sport should be enough.

For some people doing 'functional training' means doing bodyweight exercises instead of barbell work. It's true that advanced bodyweight exercises require a lot of strength (because you are in a mechanically disadvantaged position). It's also true that being able to exert strength from mechanically disadvantaged positions might be relevant for some sports. But.. advanced bodyweight exercises (ie gymnastics) are technically very difficult to do and need more equipment. Easier to learn and do the barbell lifts. And barbell lifts are much better for lower body strength.

So for people who are just starting out, it's really better to just work on the athletic basics: build strength in the basic lifts, build the aerobic base, get basic flexibility and mobility. Once those are there you can add some sports-specific stuff, e.g. selecting some main movements that are more similar to the movement of your sport, doing some stuff with awkward loads, adding HIIT with movements that resemble your sport, adding 'conversion to power' stuff like speed work and plyos. I've never really seen a whole programme written out for something like that, unfortunately. I think that stuff like this is generally done by proper S&C coaches, not internet celebrities, and they don't give that stuff out for free.

This is just my two Dinar. Feel free to ignore me.

'Functional training' is a hodge-podge of confused ideas and fads, mixed in with a little bit of truth (the little bit of truth is that at some point, some amount of sports-specific work will be very helpful).

A lot of 'functional training' is just stuff with unstable surfaces and awkward loads. Unstable surface training is good for training balance, for getting better at performing on unstable surfaces and for some kinds of rehab, and that's it. Awkward loads can be a good part of a training programme, if your sport involves moving awkward loads... but the best way to build your ability to move them is to mainly practice with a non-awkward load (i.e. a barbell) and then sometimes practice with the awkward load too.

Some 'functional training' is just HIIT or circuits. That's fine- if you need to do develop your anaerobic system more than your sport is already doing, then you should do that kind of thing, with sports-specific movements. But that's just one piece of the conditioning puzzle. For a lot of people low-intensity work plus their sport should be enough.

For some people doing 'functional training' means doing bodyweight exercises instead of barbell work. It's true that advanced bodyweight exercises require a lot of strength (because you are in a mechanically disadvantaged position). It's also true that being able to exert strength from mechanically disadvantaged positions might be relevant for some sports. But.. advanced bodyweight exercises (ie gymnastics) are technically very difficult to do and need more equipment. Easier to learn and do the barbell lifts. And barbell lifts are much better for lower body strength.

So for people who are just starting out, it's really better to just work on the athletic basics: build strength in the basic lifts, build the aerobic base, get basic flexibility and mobility. Once those are there you can add some sports-specific stuff, e.g. selecting some main movements that are more similar to the movement of your sport, doing some stuff with awkward loads, adding HIIT with movements that resemble your sport, adding 'conversion to power' stuff like speed work and plyos. I've never really seen a whole programme written out for something like that, unfortunately. I think that stuff like this is generally done by proper S&C coaches, not internet celebrities, and they don't give that stuff out for free.

Preach it brother. Thats whey I asked the questions above. One of the better posts I've seen on here since I've been back, especially about the aerobic work. I learned on my own that all the interval stuff was getting me nowhere fast.

your saying shit i already know, i just wanted names of people to check out

Speaking of functional training, here's a video from Joe DeFranco.

Also, here's a pic of a random bunny eating.

cute-bunny-eating.jpg

your saying shit i already know, i just wanted names of people to check out

The point is that you don't need functional training programmes, you need training programmes full stop. People who do 'functional training' are selling you snake oil. If you don't see that, you don't understand what I wrote.

For cardio, get some base-building programmes from a running website. For strength, use the programmes from the FAQ here. Once your cardio is good, add some of HIIT from Ross Training.

If you want to read some stuff about real training, try Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning and Tudor Bompa's 'Periodization Training for Sports'. But to repeat, this is about training, not 'functional training'.

The point is that you don't need functional training programmes, you need training programmes full stop. People who do 'functional training' are selling you snake oil. If you don't see that, you don't understand what I wrote.

For cardio, get some base-building programmes from a running website. For strength, use the programmes from the FAQ here. Once your cardio is good, add some of HIIT from Ross Training.

If you want to read some stuff about real training, try Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning and Tudor Bompa's 'Periodization Training for Sports'. But to repeat, this is about training, not 'functional training'.

its good advice but understand that when i say functional training I'm simply referring to programs that are going to lean towards my hobbies and daily activities, so it is functional for me.

functional training is different for everyone.

your literally trying to take a definition out of a word right now

i am surprised that in the year 2017 there are still discussions about this stuff. if a guy asks about functional training, just lead him to crossfit and people doing "3-dimensional real world" training with burpees and hammers and cool battle ropes. we all know what he means. he doesn't mean starting strength or 531 or a sheiko routine.

just say ross enamait already and get over with it

Part of my job is to administer a Functional Movement System procedure. Its a series of exercises to establish injury risk and to be used as a tool to get people to buy more assessments and eventually get on to a program through us. Basically it's a movement aptitude test. In this case, the word "Functional" has meaning to the patient without having to explain anything. They hear "functional" and they already have a sense of the intent of the test. makes it really easy to start your conversation about their health and fitness. As far as calling shit you do in the gym "functional" its a buzz word used by traveling salesmen to sell you snake oil!

Back