Looking for new epic bands . Progressive stuff. Metal mostly but rock is okay.

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stuff I like, obviously from my avatar, this is in order roughly from favourites down.

It helps if you share some lesser-known stuff. Since I've listened to most of the "well known" progressive giants

Dream Theater - anything with DT worthy guitar playing and long epic song please bring to my attention
Opeth (Old stuff. Though I enjoy new stuff it's not Opeth )
Tool
The Chasm
Dissection
Porcupine Tree
Gojira
Death
Bathory
Kalmah
Be'lakor

also into most death (not brutal death) metal and thrash, melodic death, lots of stuff.

But for me progressive is king. Going on a 10 minute + journey into some collaborative brilliant musical minds with a long, epic intro, crazy middle bits that are both unique and catchy/interesting and a bridge of some sort then always love when there is an epic outro that brings it all together. Thus why Dream Theater and Opeth are my favourite bands.

Anything that fits that bill, even if it's just a few songs by a band (I have a lot of one or two hit wonder bands in my collection for example Cor Scorpii - Oske Og Innsikt , Barren Earth - Passing of Crimson Shadow and The Rain Begins and many more, basically sngs about 10 minutes long with good melodic guitar riffs and great intros/outros or stand out bridge middle bits that sound cool.)

That songdump should keep you busy for a while. Already covered a decent amount of @Lucifer Alpha 's usual recs, so he'll have to come up with some new shit if he sees this thread.

You didn't mention Power Metal, so I didn't include Kamelot or Blind Guardian(plus they're both fairly well known), but if you're into it and aren't familiar with them, they'd be worth checking. "Elizabeth" and "And Then There Was Silence" would be good starting points, respectively.

You should probably also check out this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/p...d-power-and-traditional-metal-thread.3144589/

I enjoy like 4 bands from your list.

Maybe something like Allegaeon?
Technical death + Melodic death

Really digging them right now

I have a thread with my music. Check it out if you're down!

Some nice choices - The Chasm are seriously under appreciated.

Check out In the Woods - Omnio. A true masterpiece

Others to check out - Mastodon (mainly Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye), Ihsahn, Alchemist, Amorphis (early to mid albums), Enslaved (mid albums onwards), Burst, Farmakon (early Opeth clone), Control Denied (Death with power metal vocals), The Mars Volta.

And then there is always stuff like Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, etc. Not as melodic, more sludgey.

Ash Rah Temple perhaps? one of the harder rocking kraurock bands....

you mentioned the stuff i was going to recommend
mainly Steve Wilson stuff
his solo stuff is perhaps even better
than porcupine tree

isis, cult of luna
great bands
if you like them
also try pelican
russian circles

and then go back
floyd
king crimson