Looking for BJJ Academy in West LA

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hi guys. So, I've done my google homework and there's some useful information from years back, but the game has changed quite a bit with a lot of new academies in the picture. I live in Westwood and don't drive, and am looking to find a good BJJ academy nearby.

I know there's Kron, the new Cobrinha place in Brentwood, PKG, Dynamix, etc.

I am about to turn 33, but am pretty good shape (6 foot, 178lbs). I have some previous training, but am basically a noob.

I am not committed to gi, and don't want something too expensive either.

Any tips welcome! Thanks!

You sound rich.

You may as well hit up all those places, and see which you like. Atmosphere, price, commute are all factors to consider.

Commute is number one. It could be the best school on the planet, but if you cant get to it efficiently, then you're not going to train as often and its meaningless. Go to the closest school you like and connect with.

You are spoiled for choice. I *strongly* advise checking out 3-4 schools that are nearest you, dropping in for a trial class, rather than precommiting. There are no bad schools on the west side that I know of, but they do differ a fair bit in their approach and feel.

If you are in Westwood, then I suspect that Corbinhas place in Culver City would be pretty close to where you are. Also Dynamix, and the nice thing about Dynamix is they have good mma and striking teachers too.

Zankou has great advice. I would check out different schools before committing cause you have to see what culture of the school appeals the most to you. Any decent school should give you at least a free day, if not a free week or so, to try it out. Also, for me, geographic proximity is important. The closer you live to the school, the more likely you are to stick with it, particularly since traffic in LA can be pretty bad at times. You have a ton of options with a variety of price points. Have fun exploring!

They're all expensive. Like $150-250 a month. Only smaller schools with lesser known black belts offer cheaper rates.

The only westside school that I know of that is significantly cheaper is The Brentwood Club. Which is a fine school btw. The rest are all pretty close in price.

If you want to save money, go to Sawtelle Judo. You will pay a fraction of what you would at any BJJ place, and learn how to be a beast at stand up.

There's also the ucla bjj club... i might check that out for convenience sake for starters.

Back