Living your final years with what family members you have left

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had very large family gatherings seemingly every weekend at my very rich uncle's mansion. There would be a shitload of food every time. There would be banquets, servers, maids, etc.. I'd play with my cousins while the grown ups would do their thing. Happiest times of my life. This was damn near 40 years ago.

Fast forward to 2017. I visited my uncle's house for the first time in over 30 years. They threw a party for me. There were very few people that came. Everyone else has passed away. My grandad, grandma, dad, mom, uncle, and so on, are gone.

It's just 2 of my aunties living together in a very large mansion with my uncle who has dementia. There are only 3 of them left. Everyone else is dead. My aunties, who are sisters, are spending their final years together. Watching friends and family members pass away.

When I was a kid, we had very large family gatherings seemingly every weekend at my very rich uncle's mansion. There would be a shitload of food every time. There would be banquets, servers, maids, etc.. I'd play with my cousins while the grown ups would do their thing. Happiest times of my life. This was damn near 40 years ago.

Fast forward to 2017. I visited my uncle's house for the first time in over 30 years. They threw a party for me. There were very few people that came. Everyone else has passed away. My grandad, grandma, dad, mom, uncle, and so on, are gone.

It's just 2 of my aunties living together in a very large mansion with my uncle who has dementia. There are only 3 of them left. Everyone else is dead. My aunties, who are sisters, are spending their final years together. Watching friends and family members pass away.

What about your cousins? Are they all dead too?

I will have no one.

When my parents pass I will be left with my brother who is in extremely poor health, and my cousin, who is a drug addict.

I will have no one.

When my parents pass I will be left with my brother who is in extremely poor health, and my cousin, who is a drug addict.

You just need to get married, and have lots of kids.

I will have no one.

Y'all are still part of the human family.

And as dysfunctional as any family can be, there are people out there who care about you.

And as dysfunctional as any family can be, there are people out there who care about you.

Your WoW clan mates will surely be there.

I wasn't talking about me. I'm married and have a daughter. I also have 3 sisters who I'm close with. I'm talking about my aunties who are living their final years together as siblings. Their mom, dad, brothers (my uncle and dad) and husband are dead. Their generation of friends and family has dwindled down to a handful and it's getting smaller every second that passes.

I have a mountain of friends who keep trying to include me in things, I get invitations every week. I just have no interest in seeing anyone any more.

I've had a really bad year at work, and in particular these past two weeks have been a nightmare; I work ten feet from someone who threatened to kill me. I'm not worried about him at all but the stress of working in that hostility is intense.

I wasn't talking about me. I'm married and have a daughter. I also have 3 sisters who I'm close with. I'm talking about my aunties who are living their final years together as siblings. Their mom, dad, brothers (my uncle and dad) and husband are dead.

Last year a great aunt of mine died. She just gave up; her husband had passed, her son had died of a drug overdose years ago, and one day she just stopped eating. My father found her in a coma and got her to the hospital, and we spent a week watching her die.

I have a mountain of friends who keep trying to include me in things, I get invitations every week. I just have no interest in seeing anyone any more.

I've had a really bad year at work, and in particular these past two weeks have been a nightmare; I work ten feet from someone who threatened to kill me. I'm not worried about him at all but the stress of working in that hostility is intense.

You a corrections officer?

My family really turned me off when I learned what they did to my dying grandfather. I don't want to subject myself to that when I'm about to die.

I wasn't talking about me. I'm married and have a daughter. I also have 3 sisters who I'm close with. I'm talking about my aunties who are living their final years together as siblings. Their mom, dad, brothers (my uncle and dad) and husband are dead. Their generation of friends and family has dwindled down to a handful and it's getting smaller every second that passes.

Glad to hear you're doing well. As far as your aunties, at least they have each other, a lot of elderly have no one... and who knows, maybe they have more good times together than you think?

You should take up one of your friends' invitations, maybe life will surprise you, or you will surprise yourself.

Damn that sounds shitty. Some unstable douche you are working with?

Back