List MMA fighters that retired before they declined

Lytle was definitely in the decline but still fought his ass off. I was shocked when that dude with the arrow of hair whooped his ass.

You mean Dan Hardy.

Agree Chris was starting to decline. He had a nice run trying to get a title shot. Then when he lost he admitted he didn't have it in him to try and make another. He'd boxed before MMA and had a lot of wear and tear. Still I think it's tough to retire on a win. He did and it was one of the best retirement fight and speeches ever.

Frank freaking Shamrock
He gets over looked far too often. Perhaps the most dominant champion ever.
Bas Rutten. Dude is was on a legit win streak. Then cameback for one last finish. Now he does stuff with Kevin James. And his acting isn't half bad.

As far as Bas Rutten and Shamrock, both retired more do to sever injuries and couldn't fight anymore.. In some ways it's sad Bas couldn't have fought anymore but good he never had a chance to decline like some others.

One other great fighter that retired at the top of his game was TJ Grant. Was on a great win streak after dropping down from WW to LW. Was about to get a title shot for the UFC lightweight belt. Was concussed in training and never came back. The guy was a beast at LW , think he could of been Champion. Another who retired at the top of there game due to injury

Is Rick Story retired?

Shane Carwin, Soa Palelei and Mike Russow comes to mind.

i

Look at the state of Penn, Maynard, and Sanchez compared to him. He got out clean.

You mean Dan Hardy.

Agree Chris was starting to decline. He had a nice run trying to get a title shot. Then when he lost he admitted he didn't have it in him to try and make another. He'd boxed before MMA and had a lot of wear and tear. Still I think it's tough to retire on a win. He did and it was one of the best retirement fight and speeches ever.

As far as Bas Rutten and Shamrock, both retired more do to sever injuries and couldn't fight anymore.. In some ways it's sad Bas couldn't have fought anymore but good he never had a chance to decline like some others.

One other great fighter that retired at the top of his game was TJ Grant. Was on a great win streak after dropping down from WW to LW. Was about to get a title shot for the UFC lightweight belt. Was concussed in training and never came back. The guy was a beast at LW , think he could of been Champion. Another who retired at the top of there game due to injury
No I mean the dude with the arrow of hair on his chest. I believe it was before the Hardy fight. The dude almost KO’d Lytle

Looked it up
Brian ebersole

Man that fight pissed me off. I mean I knew what was gonna happen. Shit everybody did. But still I would have liked randy to draw it on a lil bit. That was one of the clearest examples of teaching someone a lesson tho

My guy Ben Askren is retiring this week and it is depressing me.

I guess I get spared of the decline that many other fans have to deal with; but its still tough as a fan.

So besides the Funky GOAT who else managed to leave the sport before they tarnished their legacy?

Would have said GSP but that's possibly no longer going to be the case.

GSP could lose vs Whittaker badly and then get KO'd the fight after, his legacy is set in stone. The fact that he came back and won a belt in a higher weight class only adds to it honestly. He also doesn't seem like the kind to lose 3 or 4 in a row to realize he doesn't have it. If he loses once, maybe twice, especially if in a row, he's done.

Askren is one but, as amazing as I think Ben is (and you too I guess), he doesn't have a legacy that will leave any significant impact. He has only a handful of wins over guys who are REALLY good/elite WW's (Lima, Koreshkov).

Genki? Rickson?

Askren is one but, as amazing as I think Ben is (and you too I guess), he doesn't have a legacy that will leave any significant impact. He has only a handful of wins over guys who are REALLY good/elite WW's (Lima, Koreshkov).

If you see Lima beat Rory its hard for his MMA legacy to not live strong on its own grounds.

Regardless he leaves a legacy as the greatest fighter to ever be blacklisted by the UFC. Not the legacy one would probably choose to have but its still something that I think will leave him in conversations for years to come.

David Terrell
My first thought. Kinda surprised it took so long to see the Soul Assassin. He's like one of the poster boys for "what if" MMA fighters
Cole Konrad is another good one

Frank freaking Shamrock
He gets over looked far too often. Perhaps the most dominant champion ever.
I don't count Shamrock; he retired from the UFC, not MMA. He fought again a little over a year later, and even if he fought only a couple times over the next 6 years, he was still considered an active fighter. When he legitimately retired I'd say there was a decline.

Man that fight pissed me off. I mean I knew what was gonna happen. Shit everybody did. But still I would have liked randy to draw it on a lil bit. That was one of the clearest examples of teaching someone a lesson tho

No I mean the dude with the arrow of hair on his chest. I believe it was before the Hardy fight. The dude almost KO’d Lytle

Looked it up
Brian ebersole

Ebersol was a awkward style and beast of a fighter. There's a perfect example of staying around too long. He was doing great, then after a shit load of fights, age crept up and he knew it. Talked about retiring but didn't, wanted to go out on a win. The losses piled up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back