Lip syncing at live concerts

It is pathetic. When I pointed out to my girl that Pink was lip syncing, she gave her a pass, saying she was known for benig a "Dare devil", and what not.

But in reality, there are people who are actual dare devils who do similar type stunts, but 1000x more difficult, more dangerous, requiring much more skill in that realm of stunts.

Why not watch that, with better music? It is the American Music Awards, and this "musician" isn't even performing music.. just a shitty stunt, with terrible choreography.

I would submit that if the music isn’t good enough to garner fanship without a ton of theatrics, that the music is shit anyway and not worth listening to.

A lot of these people can actually sing too, so it's even weirder that they make them mime. RIP Mariah's vocal chords. She's gone from one of the best to one of the worst:

Lost at Britney and Mariah, that's what I sound like.

This. A million times this. It has become accepted these days that pop acts are going to lip sync, not just for tv performances, but for concerts on their tour as well. It’s fucking ridiculous and basically an admission that they are have no talent other than looking pretty and dancing, and that the record companies have no problem with blatantly cheating everyone out of their money. So instead of signing acts that have actual talent, but may be a greater risk to their profits, they just made lip synching the norm and pushed forth a new status quo in which nobody expects anything more. Millenials fucking ruined music by listening to shitty music and letting them get away with this shit.

Pop stars lip syncing isn't anything all that new, and I would have to give them a bit of a pass TBH. Their live shows usually incorporate heavy dance choreography, and the performer generally running all over the stage, doing all sorts of shit. If they didn't lip sync during some of these segments, it would be near impossible to hit the notes, while bouncing all around on stage. Not to mention, generally just being out of breath because of all running around and dancing.

At the end of the day though, what do you really care if some pop star lip syncs at a concert? Today's popular music in general, sucks, but it's got little to do with artists lip syncing at their concerts. Pop artists like Katy Perry have been around since forever. Artists like her aren't some Millennial creation. That shit is just par for the course, as far as I'm concerned. What bothers me more, is the rise in hip hop, and thus, shitty lazy hip hop for the masses, which has kind of taken over everything, and has been infused into other genres. Can you string three words together, and put it to a lazy looping beat? You might actually have a hit on your hands.

I would submit that if the music isn’t good enough to garner fanship without a ton of theatrics, that the music is shit anyway and not worth listening to.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Take Kiss for example, the music was made better because of the theatrics. Or even a band like The Sex Pistols, would they have been as influential if they all came onto stage in dad jeans and a beige dress shirt?

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Take Kiss for example, the music was made better because of the theatrics. Or even a band like The Sex Pistols, would they have been as influential if they all came onto stage in dad jeans and a beige dress shirt?

KISS was never a good band. They had to rely on theatrics to build a following. The Sex Pistols were never really my thing, but that wasn’t my point anyway. My point is that, if the theatrics are so extreme as to distract from the music, then maybe that’s the whole point because the music sucks.

This is why I'm okay with pop stars literally only having 15 minutes of fame. The musicians with real talent last for a long time.

The garbage that's propped up by the music industry fades away quickly.

KISS was never a good band. They had to rely on theatrics to build a following. The Sex Pistols were never really my thing, but that wasn’t my point anyway. My point is that, if the theatrics are so extreme as to distract from the music, then maybe that’s the whole point because the music sucks.

Yes and no. A lot of good bands and artists have tons of theatrics put into their live shows too. Some more than others, but at the end of the day, it is a show. You have to give the audience a visual experience, and tons of artists have a persona that they sell with live performance theatrics. Alice Cooper, David Bowe, Tool, NIN, etc, etc, all have/had some pretty extreme theatrics incorporated into their live performances, to sell themselves with, on top of their music. It's not used to distract. It's used to give the audience a good overall show.

As long as they're not faking anything within the actual studio, I can give them a pass.

KISS was never a good band
alright dude chill lol, your opinion doesn' make something fact.

I don't really like Kiss, but they'e a respectable band, even though they'e a bit over the top with the fireworks and stage presence. It worked for them.

They aren't a bad band. good vocals, good bass, good guitar.

Have some class.

Last edited:
That award show was horrible. Some of the most uninspired performances I've seen in awhile. People mailed in their performances. Christina Aguilera completely botched her tribute to Whitney Houston.

- Didn't SNL kill the Spice Girls as well? Once the world realized that they couldn't actually sing, they sort of disbanded and went away.

- I assume most popular singers today are so "helped" by computers when in the sound studio, that if they were to sing live, it would be completely different than what you hear on the radio.

- Heck, I wouldn't doubt within five years one of the pop starlets that reach #1 on the charts is actually a computer program.

I saw part of Selena Gomez's, Pink's, and the end with Diana Ross. I also heard Kelly Clarkson in the background.

Does Gomez actually sing? I thought she just whispers into a microphone while music is looped in the background.

Does Pink actually sing? I thought she got her breakthrough due to her image, rather than her vocals.

Clarkson got her start by actually singing in front of a live audience. I would hope her singing at an awards show was legit.

I wonder what Diana Ross thinks of the industry today?

An Italian show had Muse lip sync so the band all swapped instruments.

LMAO! Thanks for sharing, never seen this gem. That audience really were the losers in this as Muse is fucking amazing live. Love how Matt is showing off and pointing at the crowd as the drums are supposed to be played. Was also funny that they interviewed Dominic the drummer after the song thinking he's the singer the whole time.

On topic, fuck lip syncing. I have more respect for someone who tries and fails or has an off night. I don't get how people can pay money to see someone like Brittany Spears in Vegas when it's well known that they lip sync. Like you're seriously paying money to see someone dance around and fake sing.

If I wanted to listen to a playing of your recent album I can do that from the comfort of my home. Not sure why I want to pay $25-75 just to get a dancing act in front of me.

And do they just play the audio of the singing at a lip synched concert and do the band members that play an instrument do they still play live?

As long as they're not faking anything within the actual studio, I can give them a pass.

Problem?
Milli-Vanilli.jpg

Lip syncing is never acceptable to me. Its pointless, and i dont have any respect for those who do it in any circumstance. Just have a video playing then.

Mariah Carey has lipsynced for over a decade now. For years, she would sing one song live per concert, and the rest were recorded from other live versions earlier on tour. I worked her concert in college and was pretty surprised at that (this was like 04 too, not recently)

Mariah Carey has lipsynced for over a decade now. For years, she would sing one song live per concert, and the rest were recorded from other live versions earlier on tour. I worked her concert in college and was pretty surprised at that (this was like 04 too, not recently)

She'd be sounding like a 70 year old lifetime smoker with stage 4 lung cancer if she hit the high notes of every song at every concert she performed at.

Either way.... She's a fruitcake

She'd be sounding like a 70 year old lifetime smoker with stage 4 lung cancer if she hit the high notes of every song at every concert she performed at.

Either way.... She's a fruitcake
perhaps, but Celine Dion still sounds phenomenal live and has always been a better vocalist

I think a lot of it is how you take care of yourself (i.e. if you drink, smoke, use honey for vocal cords, etc....)

Back