Lifting to Prevent Old Age

Disco

Tougher on the internet
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After around 8 years of lifting on and off (thanks to my perpetually injured body) I have a new goal in mind. Previously I had lifted for performance (i.e. strength and power) but I would say that, on the novice/beginner/intermediate/advanced/elite sort of scenario, I'd say the best I ever made was high-beginner or possibly low intermediate. So I am not an advanced lifter.

After one too many injuries in various sports I am 34 (yes I know, young by many standards) with a body that is perpetually injured and requires long lay offs from sports and weightlifting. (Mostly back and shoulder) As such, I've decided to essentially retire from competitive sport and use the gym to simply give myself the strength I need to be a normal adult. So I am basically looking for an easy work out, 2-3 times a week with a huge emphasis on being risk adverse.

My general plan is to squat each time. To alternate bench and press. Then do a few assistance exercises, abs, light shoulder work mostly. Basically to push myself to the point that it starts getting hard, my guess is squat set weight being around BW and plateau from there.

I know this isn't a common 'goal' in terms of these forums, and I just wondered if anyone had any input.

I have a fucked up idea for this. Focus on lifts that work flexibility. I've recently (like three weeks ago) dropped squats and started to focus on good mornings and rear leg elevated split squats (bulgarian split squats). I do my good mornings down until I feel a stretch in my hamstrings, and I do my bss with a platform height that stretches my hip flexors.

I'm 33, I have a twitchy back and a heart condition and I still want to stay strong and get competitive in highland games. So lifting for longevity makes sense, but you're always looking for progress. You don't have to go full pilates, but lifting in a manner that stretches at the same time might be worth exploring.

As you start improving mobility and flexibility and your pain starts to steadily decline, returning to more regular lifting without injury should be easier. Start by attacking postural imbalances (anterior pelvic tilt, hunched shoulders, etc) look into programs like neanderthal no more, and work to strengthen and support the areas you injure most.

i agree with urban......my recommendation is to do more of a "westside" style routine where you wouldnt have to squat heavy or deadlift heavy with a straight bar every time and when i say westside i dont even think a general strength trainee needs to do dynamic effort you would just get volume in with back off sets and set up a day for light assistance lifts maybe another day of some prowler or some other form of conditioning

One thing that helped with my own "perpetual injured syndrome" was to listen to my body. If something hurts during a lift, then don't do it that week. If it keeps hurting the stop doing the lift.

After a 5+ year layoff, I decided to get into shape. I'd let myself go and also developed a limp after a knee surgery. I decided I needed a rehab-type plan to restore my mobility, flexibility, stability, posture and balance first. I found a program written by a sports trainer/PT which emphasized correction of imbalances and weaknesses, which was Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey. It got me healthy and mobile and stronger, and I just happened to be going to school and watched a powerlifting meet held there and decided I wanted to try it. I've done five of them since.

You don't need to lift heavy or focus on max strength, at least right away. My advice for someone plagued with injuries and/or the inevitable ravages of age would be to visit a sports PT, have them check you out and design a program for you. Lacking the availability or funds to do that, go get a book by a respected PT (Eric is one of many, look around until you find one who suits you) and try out the recommended program that works for you.

At 34, TS, you shouldn't be willing nor should it be necessary to put your "best years" behind you. You may find new hope once you've rehabbed yourself and corrected some issues. This is one of the few times I'd tell a guy who wants to squat and bench to hold on and get straightened out first. Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited:
Warm up better, do mobilty and a lot of flexibility should do the trick.

Im a little younger than you (29) but I developed a lot of injuries and "perpetual" pains due kickboxing training for 10 years. I could literally sleep in one position because my shoulders were so messed up that I could not even move my arm properly.

Started lifting a year ago and since focusing on proper warm up and adding mobility excs I feel better than I have ever been in my whole life.

Is it even safe to lift once you're past 30?

Time to hang it up, old man.

Hi everyone,

After around 8 years of lifting on and off (thanks to my perpetually injured body) I have a new goal in mind. Previously I had lifted for performance (i.e. strength and power) but I would say that, on the novice/beginner/intermediate/advanced/elite sort of scenario, I'd say the best I ever made was high-beginner or possibly low intermediate. So I am not an advanced lifter.

After one too many injuries in various sports I am 34 (yes I know, young by many standards) with a body that is perpetually injured and requires long lay offs from sports and weightlifting. (Mostly back and shoulder) As such, I've decided to essentially retire from competitive sport and use the gym to simply give myself the strength I need to be a normal adult. So I am basically looking for an easy work out, 2-3 times a week with a huge emphasis on being risk adverse.

My general plan is to squat each time. To alternate bench and press. Then do a few assistance exercises, abs, light shoulder work mostly. Basically to push myself to the point that it starts getting hard, my guess is squat set weight being around BW and plateau from there.

I know this isn't a common 'goal' in terms of these forums, and I just wondered if anyone had any input.
Work with a little less weight than you usually do, and increase the reps. Also, make sure you have good form.

Proper warm-up(light cardio, mobility drills)
Pre-hab in general(foam rolling, static stretching)
Do all the lifts you should normally be doing, but with less weight(squats, presses, pulls, etc)

Wendler and a side of stretching (when possible) for this 35+er. The 3 weeks on, 1 week "off" is awesome for me . Just go slow and think long term

Learn how to move again by practicing mobility in everyday life and as a training focus. Your idea to just "maintain" is the antithesis of lifting and conditioning. You should always be striving to get better, just for now your main focus should be mobility and rehab and prehab vs pushing weights and conditioning and skill work.

I have come back stronger and better after every layoff and my technique improves too. Though, if you aren't self motivated enough to progress doing mobility and flexibility drills, hire a competent PT and physiotherapist who work with athletes. Eric Cressey's books and videos are good, as are Kelly Staretts (even if he is sort of unconventional and his ideas may technically be flawed, the results are sound).

Eat an anti inflammatory diet and take turmeric / circumin.

Also, TRT, low dose Deca, and pharma HGH or peptides year round. Add in some low dose Anavar for 1/3 of the year and you'll be golden.

If all that doesn't reinvigorate you, then it should be time to hang it up

Warm up better, do mobilty and a lot of flexibility should do the trick.

Im a little younger than you (29) but I developed a lot of injuries and "perpetual" pains due kickboxing training for 10 years. I could literally sleep in one position because my shoulders were so messed up that I could not even move my arm properly.

Started lifting a year ago and since focusing on proper warm up and adding mobility excs I feel better than I have ever been in my whole life.

What sort of mobility exercises do you recommend for your shoulder? I currently need to sleep in one position.

What sort of mobility exercises do you recommend for your shoulder? I currently need to sleep in one position.
Search in youtube for Alan Thrall. He has several videos about the issue and the guy knows A LOT.

I would search it for you but Im at work right now. Watch it and then come back and tell me what are your thoughts.

Thanks for that. I watched it and I don't do things like that. My massager says my pecs are really tight. So it looks good - however the pain is in my actual shoulder, not the front. But I did my first day doing those exercises, no reason not to run that for a few weeks and see how I go.

He also made me think I should work on my abs to try to fix my back. I'm slowly getting through Eric Cressley's book, he has some good ones I will pinch.

Urban - great idea with GM's but I honestly don't have time at the moment to learn the movement. But it is on the list for 2017.
I also generally don't trust any PT but I should probably get over it - I'm in a big city now and they will be around and qualified.

This guy has some good stuff:

Here's a good link to one of Alan Thrall's shoulder vids on YT:

And these guys (you can tell I've dealt with some shoulder stuff):

Last edited:
This guy has some good stuff:

Here's a good link to one of Alan Thrall's shoulder vids on YT:

And these guys (you can tell I've dealt with some shoulder stuff):

Thanks Cmart. I am currently doing Alan Thrall's shoulder exercises, I will do them each day for a month or so and see how I go.

I had a look at his back pain videos but I have no idea if I have anterior or posterior issues. The diagram he drew didn't really fit me. But I am definitely keen on his shoulder exercises.

Back