LGBT rights lawyer sets himself on fire to protest usage of fossil fuels

TheWobbler

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...awyer-commits-suicide-in-brooklyn-public-park

A prominent LGBT rights lawyer died after setting himself on fire in Brooklyn's Prospect Park on Saturday.

David Buckel, 60, killed himself after sending messages to multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, explaining his intention to set himself on fire to protest the world's usage of fossil fuels at the expense of the environment.

“Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather,” Buckel wrote the Times in an email. “Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result — my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”

“A life of privilege requires actions to balance the harm caused, and the greater the privilege, the greater the responsibility," Buckel added.

"For if one does not leave behind a world better for having lived in it, all that remains are selfish ends, sometimes wrapped in family or nation.

What the actual fuck. Why kill yourself over such a matter. Did he really think this idea would make people stop lol

All that smoke was definitely not helping the environment

Who's album cover will it be on?

Mentally ill man upset at environmental pollution makes his last act on earth, polluting the environment...

What a hero. His sacrifice has saved the entire planet!

unlike several of our suicidal who turned homicidal, he didn't take anyone with him.

for that i am thankful, and say i hope it was as quick as possible.

unlike several of our suicidal who turned homicidal, he didn't take anyone with him.

for that i am thankful, and say i hope it was as quick as possible.

Was going to say this, at least he didn’t go the unabomber route

That seems a bit extreme

I guess you could say he was "flaming"

<Oku03>

I'll see myself out.
<34>

What the actual fuck. Why kill yourself over such a matter. Did he really think this idea would make people stop lol

Well, he obviously felt that ecological destruction of the planet was worth laying down his live over.

It probably won't budge people who are lazy, stupid, or greedily interested in the profitability of fossil fuels, but self-immolation does have a history in political protest.

I'd be hard pressed to maintain that preserving the planet is less important than Tibet monks' protests for religious and cultural freedom.

I hope no kids soh it. That is terrible

Well, he obviously felt that ecological destruction of the planet was worth laying down his live over.

It probably won't budge people who are lazy, stupid, or greedily interested in the profitability of fossil fuels, but self-immolation does have a history in political protest.

I'd be hard pressed to maintain that preserving the planet is less important than Tibet monks' protests for religious and cultural freedom.

I am sorry my English is very bad so I have ask just clarify.

Are you saying that the Monks protest for religious/culture freedom is the more important issue.?

Im pretty sure everyone who lives within this LBGT123 bubble is mentally ill

He should not have set himself on fire, that was the retard thing to do.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...awyer-commits-suicide-in-brooklyn-public-park

A prominent LGBT rights lawyer died after setting himself on fire in Brooklyn's Prospect Park on Saturday.

David Buckel, 60, killed himself after sending messages to multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, explaining his intention to set himself on fire to protest the world's usage of fossil fuels at the expense of the environment.

“Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather,” Buckel wrote the Times in an email. “Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result — my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”

“A life of privilege requires actions to balance the harm caused, and the greater the privilege, the greater the responsibility," Buckel added.

"For if one does not leave behind a world better for having lived in it, all that remains are selfish ends, sometimes wrapped in family or nation.

Mental health, he could have gone postal shooting a gas station.

But its funny how he used petrol to burn himself, he could have used wood which is far more enviroment friendly

His mind and body were always in conflict. He was deranged

Back