Let's talk about reffing

G

Guestx

Just ran across this vid. It's obviously not a UFC vid but the question of reffing applies to all organizations.

I'm just curious, if you were this ref, would you have stopped the fight? Was it apparent that the fighter was out to you? Was the ref negligent or is this an understandable mistake?

And while we're at, I'll throw this one in just to continue the conversation.

I would taper my reffing. In a championship UFC fight, let them bang bro. In amateur female mma i'd stop it pretty quick.

that second choke, I could see how the ref fucked that up, eyes open, moving his arms and legs around, I didn't think he was out, curious what the fighter knew that we didn't see?

The first one seemed obvious she was out. The second video not so much. I'm not sure how he got unconscious.

Only thing worse than incompetent judges, is incompetent refs.

The first one seemed obvious she was out.

To me, it looked like she was out for a minute and then came back to life. I mean, you can see what looks like her intentionally moving her left arm.

As soon as she stopped intelligently defending herself, the fight should have been stopped. The rules don't say a fighter has to go unconscious from a choke or tap, before the ref can stop the fight.

Intelligent defense is the only thing the referee should be looking for. How do you get yourself out of a choke with your hands flat on the canvas? You don't.

Every human being whose arms are long enough to reach his/her neck will try to remove anything strangling the neck. It is a reflex, you don't need a black belt in BJJ to reach for anything strangling your neck.

So, if you are not doing that basic reflex, then you are obviously in no position to continue. It is not a difficult decision to make when you know the rules. The aftermath is the difficult part, but the decision itself is pretty obvious.

Mad props to the cornerman for hauling ass in there and stopping that fight. That might have been the worst reffing I think I've ever seen. That one could've been fatal.

that second choke, I could see how the ref fucked that up, eyes open, moving his arms and legs around, I didn't think he was out, curious what the fighter knew that we didn't see?

Felt his muscles go numb probably.

As soon as she stopped intelligently defending herself, the fight should have been stopped. The rules don't say a fighter has to go unconscious from a choke or tap, before the ref can stop the fight.

Intelligent defense is the only thing the referee should be looking for. How do you get yourself out of a choke with your hands flat on the canvas? You don't.

Every human being whose arms are long enough to reach his/her neck will try to remove anything strangling the neck. It is a reflex, you don't need a black belt in BJJ to reach for anything strangling your neck.

So, if you are not doing that basic reflex, then you are obviously in no position to continue. It is not a difficult decision to make when you know the rules. The aftermath is the difficult part, but the decision itself is pretty obvious.

But if the attack is a choke intended to make you unconscious, and you remain conscious, then that's intelligently defending against the choke.

Both videos we see some very deceptive reflex reactions, with neither going limp, which is why more seasoned officials ask them how they're doing, to see if the can specifically respond (thumbs up, whatever).

Back