Let's settle this once and for all: Who's the greatest lead guitarist of all time?

I meant least when comparing him to stand out lead guitar players. Like previously mentioned he could wright, but when it comes down to his chops he is average when it comes to being a professional guitar player. He basicaly just hangs out in a pentatonic scale every song.

I'm not trying to say he sucks, because he doesn't, but he doesn't belong in a virtuoso conversation. It's like trying to throw Lars Ulrich into the same category as guys like Buddy Rich, Dana Carey, Neil Pert, and John Bonham.
He sticks around the penatonic scale because thats what those songs call for. It would sound ridiculous if he wasnt doing just that.

Acdc also had another guitarist(i know he recently died rip) cant think of his name. It was Angus job to complement the riffs he wrote. I think he did a great job, and i dont know how much youve seen off acdc... But he could play.

Infact. Im going to retract my previous statement. He definately deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Legend

Last edited:
He sticks around the penatonic scale because thats what those songs call for. It would sound ridiculous if he wasnt doing just that.

Acdc also had another guitarist(i know he recently died rip) cant think of his name. It was Angus job to complement the riffs he wrote. I think he did a great job, and i dont know how much youve seen off acdc... But he could play.

His name was Malcom Young and he was Angus's Brother. I got my first AC/DC tape in 1989 when I was in the 4th grade the same year I started taking guitar lessons. I also have everyone of their albums. I actually prefer their first singer Bon Scott who got his start in a band called the Valentines. You might recognize the song from them "Build me up Buttercup."

Again I'm not saying Angus's song writing and music wasn't great along with AC/DC, he's just not a virtuoso. A lot of bands are simple, but manage to manufacture great music. Creedence Clearwater Revival is another example of this.

Last edited:
His name was Malcom Young and he was Angus's Brother. I got my first AC/DC tape in 1989 when I was in the 4th grade the same year I started playing guitar. I also have everyone of their albums. I actually prefer their first singer Bon Scott who got his start in a band called the Valentines. You might recognize the song from them "Build me up Buttercup."

Again I'm not saying Angus's song writing and music wasn't great along with AC/DC, he's just not a virtuoso. A lot of bands are simple, but manage to manufacture great music. Creedence Clearwater Revival is another example of this.

I think Fogerty is a great guitar player too. I dont really see your point. Simple doesnt mean they arent good.

John Fogerty knew how to make his guitar sing. Thats what its all about. Exactly why my first post said music is too subjective. Every John Fogerty solo sounds better to me than anything others mentioned in this thread have ever done.

I think Fogerty is a great guitar player too. I dont really see your point. Simple doesnt mean they arent good.

I agree, but there is a difference between good and virtuoso. And while Angus is good, he doesn't belong on a list of guitar player virtuoso's.

Randy Rhoads

Alex Skolnick

Hendrix

for me. But really too subjective as someone mentioned.

His name was Malcom Young and he was Angus's Brother. I got my first AC/DC tape in 1989 when I was in the 4th grade the same year I started taking guitar lessons. I also have everyone of their albums. I actually prefer their first singer Bon Scott who got his start in a band called the Valentines. You might recognize the song from them "Build me up Buttercup."

That ain't there song!

{<huh}

743e7b75-74ca-49f0-87fd-7a758baae5f2.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_in_Blue

Build Me Up Buttercup.......

I'm not a fan of the band myself, but I hear a lot of people talk about former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante as some sort of musical genius and virtuoso player.

I guess it also depends what you consider a lead guitarist to be. It seems different people think it means different things.

Is there a way for us to separate lead guitarists in bands from virtuosos like Jimi and SRV?

If so, then I'll put my vote in for David Gilmour.

Back