Crime Letitia James Under Pressure to Prosecute Jon Stewart for selling his New York home 829% over market value

I rarely bother to even follow up on these stories anymore. A perfect example of why is in this thread. Bunch of whiney ass Trumpettes itt are talking about Stewart’s property being sold for a lot more. Almost right away another poster points out that they’re ignoring the fact that it is actually now two properties he bought and renovated together and they’re just listing the price of one of them.

I’m sure there’s even more to this story that’s being omitted. This kind of bald faced lying is why I don’t take hardly anything they say serious anymore. Honesty is a character trait severely lacking from them.

It's a partisan hit-piece, and the likely subscribers to it are in here chirping nonsense and refusing to take an "L" because this article is bullsh*t.

"An Associated Press analysis of nearly 70 years of civil cases under the law showed that such a penalty has only been imposed a dozen previous times, and Trump’s case stands apart in a significant way: It’s the only big business found that was threatened with a shutdown without a showing of obvious victims and major losses."

only fraud case in history with no victim.

or maybe he defrauded the state, that's gotta be it. did he defraud the state out of taxes? if yes, why no criminal tax evasion charges and an IRS audit?

can one of you lovely college educated fine gentleman explain this? we're a little slow.

Last edited:
It's a partisan hit-piece, and the likely subscribers to it are in here chirping nonsense and refusing to take an "L" because this article is bullsh*t.
According to news I read the rightwing genius who broke this 'story' is podcaster Tim Pool

I like the subtle "No true Scotsman" irony of the defense of Stewart.

The entire claim of D.A. James' case was that Trump was overvaluing his properties, versus the tax assessed value to gain loans from banks, who if the banks did their due diligence would counter and negotiate a fair deal. Which they did, And the loan's repayments were satisfied. Trump would naturally try and suppress the property values when assessors put a value on the home to save on taxes.

But this IS just what almost every homeowner does when Selling a home. They try to maximize their asking price, while asking the assessors to lower their home/property value for tax purposes. Just like in Stewart's case.

If someone asking price is too high and they lower it, are they suddenly committing fraud because no one will buy it at the initial asking price? short answer, no.

This is the whole reason why Governor Hochul had to bullshit the public on local media to calm everyone from flipping out and bailing on the state. A lot of people see this as a gray area that could land them in court. Including some of her DNC donors who use the 'borrow and pay back' method as a means of bypassing capitol gains and income taxes.

The whole but "That's different!!" argument is just you defending your team(tribalism) when they get egg on their face.

The final "No True Scotsman" irony, is that Jon Stewart is just a stage name, which is a Scottish surname. But the reality is that Jon Leibowitz is Jewish.

As long as hes not a landlord I don't care. NYC property values are insane if someone gives you 17 times what your place is worth what are you going to do say no?

I think he should be prosecuted for exposing the world to Stephen Colbert.

This reeks desparation and tells me a couple things.
1. MAGAdoggers have never sold a house they owned. I guess it’s tough to buy a house when all your money is being used to buy Bibles, Gold Sneakers, MAGA hats and Trump Super Hero Camel Toe NFT’s. Millions of Americans sell their house over the assessed value. Imagine being duped by Tim Pool, which is the saddest part of all this. A guy whose gimmick is an outdated wool hat. When I look at him I feel like it’s 2010 looking at his dumb gimmick hat.
2. J-Stew must be triggering the shit out of MAGA nation to try this bullshit story and get the NY Post to lose their journalistic integrity (like they had any) by running a story on it.
3. Too bad I have morals because duping MAGA’ites is like taking candy from a baby. You are so desperate because you know Trump is a massive shit head that you will run with anything so you can go hey that other person is also a shit head, like my guy Donald Trump .

It is different unless you completely misunderstood how it works. The Assessor sets the value for tax purposes. No crime from Trump or Stewart for selling above the assessor’s value. In that case neither Trump nor Stewert lied to anyone. They paid the assessed value. This is not a crime anywhere in the u.s.

Trump lied on the value of his properties to induce people to loan him money. Stewert hasn’t taken any loan here. What Trump has done is a crime everywhere in the u.s.

This is not an intellectually honest thread.
to be frank it wasnt started by an intellectual guy..

of course its bullshit, but its classic political bullshit, by the time its refuted the chuds have made their mind up, see also "stolen election"..

"What Trump did isn't a crime, but Stewart did something tangentially similar if you ignore the law, logic, or context; he clearly should be prosecuted!"
hq720.jpg

Do you know the actual difference between the two(legally speaking), or are you just going along with the narrative that it is in fact different?

Not trying to be combative, but it seems like a lot of people are just being led by headlines, and don't actually know what the fuck the big deal is. I mean, when other real estate investors are saying it's bullshit, and the governor of the state has to put their minds at ease by essentially saying they won't hold them to the same standard as Trump, it's probably bullshit.
This is what Hochul said:

“Law-abiding and rule-following New Yorkers who are businesspeople have nothing to worry about because they’re very different than Donald Trump and his behavior.”

The entire claim of D.A. James' case was that Trump was overvaluing his properties, versus the tax assessed value to gain loans from banks, who if the banks did their due diligence would counter and negotiate a fair deal. Which they did, And the loan's repayments were satisfied. Trump would naturally try and suppress the property values when assessors put a value on the home to save on taxes.

But this IS just what almost every homeowner does when Selling a home. They try to maximize their asking price, while asking the assessors to lower their home/property value for tax purposes. Just like in Stewart's case.

If someone asking price is too high and they lower it, are they suddenly committing fraud because no one will buy it at the initial asking price? short answer, no.

This is the whole reason why Governor Hochul had to bullshit the public on local media to calm everyone from flipping out and bailing on the state. A lot of people see this as a gray area that could land them in court. Including some of her DNC donors who use the 'borrow and pay back' method as a means of bypassing capitol gains and income taxes.

The whole but "That's different!!" argument is just you defending your team(tribalism) when they get egg on their face.

The final "No True Scotsman" irony, is that Jon Stewart is just a stage name, which is a Scottish surname. But the reality is that Jon Leibowitz is Jewish.
Trump lied on loan applications which is illegal. Jon Leibowitz sold a house for more than his assessed value, which is legal and done by millions of Americans, and any Sherdogger that has sold a home, know this, so your post basically tells me you have never owned a home or being a troll. So you are either being a troll or ignorant. YOu can fess up to which one you are being.
But yeah tribalism. Keep getting duped by a guy whose whole gimmick is a dumb wool cap.
The fact that wool hat boy, thought this story would fly, tells me all I need to know about MAGA social media, they realized they can spin any bullshit and their dumb readers will eat it up.

Trump lied on loan applications which is illegal. Jon Leibowitz sold a house for more than his assessed value, which is legal and done by millions of Americans, and any Sherdogger that has sold a home, know this, so your post basically tells me you have never owned a home or being a troll. So you are either being a troll or ignorant. YOu can fess up to which one you are being.
But yeah tribalism. Keep getting duped by a guy whose whole gimmick is a dumb wool cap.
The fact that wool hat boy, thought this story would fly, tells me all I need to know about MAGA social media, they realized they can spin any bullshit and their dumb readers will eat it up.
Some people are true muppets and some know they’re playing the game.

How is the Stewart situation the same as Trump's?

A buyer paid Stewart above the assessed value of his penthouse. How is this similar to Trump deliberatly inflating the square footage and value of his properties to get favorable loan rates?

Sometimes classic cars and art (at auction) sell for way way above projected value.
It isn't. My post was directed at Sinister's specific comment and not at the OP.

of course its bullshit, but its classic political bullshit, by the time its refuted the chuds have made their mind up, see also "stolen election"..

The attorney general yelling in a bullhorn to lock Trump up has no personal or political motivations.

It's really not, though. Trump fraudulently inflated the value of his assets in order to materially benefit. Stewart just sold an apartment, and he got a good price. That's not conceptually similar at all.
The entire claim of D.A. James' case was that Trump was overvaluing his properties, versus the tax assessed value to gain loans from banks, who if the banks did their due diligence would counter and negotiate a fair deal.
Not versus the tax-assessed value; versus economic reality. In all cases of fraud, the victims potentially could have identified it in advance if they did more work, but that doesn't excuse fraud.

Which they did, And the loan's repayments were satisfied. Trump would naturally try and suppress the property values when assessors put a value on the home to save on taxes.

We don't even know what Stewart's asking price was. We know that the property sold for what it sold for. There was no fraud even alleged and no purpose for which fraud would be served (i.e., he didn't misrepresent his asset values to anyone to gain credit or anything similar to what Trump did).
Correct. Irrelevant to all aspects of his discussion, but that is true.

What Hochul said is that contrary to what others were saying, Trump's behavior was not typical, and people who didn't commit fraud have nothing to worry about. The tribalism here is trying to pretend that just because Stewart dared criticize the chief, he must have done something wrong himself. And not sure what you're on about with him being Jewish. It's not something he has hidden or has any reason to hide, and not something that is relevant to anything here. Bringing it up here makes you sound really creepy.

But Stewart is actually Jewish soooo...

-MAGA / Republicans love to lecture Dems on obeying the law
- Very recently Trump showed up at the NYPD cop's funeral to virture signal on how he is the law-n-order candidate.

When Trump breaks the law (and he has broken many) these same people excuse it all away.

Reminds me of how rightwingers were moaning about BLM protesters blocking roads but then ended up supporting the Canadian truckers blocking the border crossing. And either supported or gave a pass to the European farmers blocking major roads and spreading manure all over public right of ways as a form of protest.

Last edited:
This is what Hochul said:

“Law-abiding and rule-following New Yorkers who are businesspeople have nothing to worry about because they’re very different than Donald Trump and his behavior.”

Real Estate Investors and Bank Lenders are "Law Abiding and Rule Following"??

<Grimes01>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back