Leon Edwards is ruining the division!

LOL he was offered a fight durring ramadan against 3 fighters who are practicing muslims. shavkat, Khamzat and Islam were never going to fight in april.
It's less for me that that happened, and more that a) all of those were being put together late when they could have arranged for something on 300 sooner and b) after it didn't happen, there was word zero from Leon saying "Well fuck, put me on the next one then, I'm ready."

Even if the UFC were going to tell him to squat until they got that England card ready, the champ  trying to get a fight might actually make it happen, like how Islam is fighting DP in NJ. Instead, the last we heard from his camp was the bullshit on how Belal doesn't deserve it, despite Belal having like 5 times the merit to his streak than Leon did

It's less for me that that happened, and more that a) all of those were being put together late when they could have arranged for something on 300 sooner and b) after it didn't happen, there was word zero from Leon saying "Well fuck, put me on the next one then, I'm ready."

Even if the UFC were going to tell him to squat until they got that England card ready, the champ  trying to get a fight might actually make it happen, like how Islam is fighting DP in NJ. Instead, the last we heard from his camp was the bullshit on how Belal doesn't deserve it, despite Belal having like 5 times the merit to his streak than Leon did
Yeah it's very clearly a marketing move to make a champion no one gives a shit about look like a bad ass, It was actually a pitiful attempt, worst part is, it worked on people like the guy i was replying to. SAD!

He'll fight what's his name in Manchester. I have no issue with Leon's activity level. The division has been dragging but hopefully he gets the win in July and then we can get things rolling with Shavkhat or JDM challenging shortly after

He’s one of the only fighters I know who got removed from top 5 ranking for inactivity. So no.
Purely a promotional strong-arming. He was booked to fight Woodley on 3/21/20, which was destroyed by covid last minute after a full camp and part cut, so he'd have to start from square one even if quarantine didn't exist. Edwards was removed from the rankings SEVEN months after that because they wanted him to fight unranked Khamzat, which he agreed to 3 times.

It's weird that people continually blame Leon for his inactivity and not his opponents or the UFC.

"He sat out for 2 years during covid and waited for a title shot"

Reality- He accepted a fight with Woodley, a fight with Masvidal and 3 separate fights with Khamzat. All of them pulled out, and the only person that stepped up during that period was Nate Diaz.

"He won't defend his title, he only wants to fight once a year".

Reality- Won the belt in August 2022. Defended March 2023, 7 months later. This was to give Usman time to recover from a nasty KO and to make sure the event could take place in the UK. Since Dana announced on the night Leon win that they would do an immediate rematch in the UK.

Leon then said he wanted to defend in the summer, but they made him fight Colby, who dragged it out all the way until December. 9 months later.

Leon then said he wanted to get on the UFC 300 card in April and hopefully defend 3 times in 2024. The UFC tried to make this happen offering him 3 opponents for 300. Islam, Khamzat and Shavkat. Leon said yes to all of them, all 3 of them said no.

So now they are putting on a PPV in the UK they obviously want to hold Leon back for that. And it will be 7 months since he last fought.

Its kind of amazing and shows just how much of a popularity contest Sherdog is when Leon is hated and mocked for not fighting despite him saying yes to everybody. Yet guys like Shavkat and Khamzat are beloved here when they are the ones saying no when they are offered Leon.
^ This.

Its not his fault. UFC insisted on the Colby fight which Colby postponed. Now they don't want to give Belal his shot but won't match Leon up with anyone else.

UFC matchmakers have ruined this sport
How do we know this? U just pull this out ur ass?

Kevin Holland is the only fighter in the entire top 15 of WW that has a fight booked. No one else does. This is a UFC problem and not a Leon Edwards problem. The UFC just has some of the worst matchmaking now. Embarrassingly bad.
Lol ur embarrassing urself

Back