leg locks

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
the hell hook is obviously the strongest. At higher levels i don't see ankle locks being hit much mostly toe holds and heel hooks, knee bars also are hard to get into it seems. i hear its hard to actually break the ankle with an ankle lock. Most guys just tough it out, i never really did much ankle locks, i used heel hooks. So whats some of the ways you like to leg lock? Do you do ankle locks? Or just toe holds? Curious to see how others attack the legs.

The "ankle lock" can be improved by sliding lower on the foot and giving some sideways pressure. If you do that and can see the ankle during the lock, you'll actually be attacking the small tendons in the top of the foot, which can be torn.

I went to a leg lock seminar with the rev. And he teach the ankle lock in such a way that it will break it indeed.

A "straight ankle" doesn't even have to be on the foot to be dangerous. Applied correctly, the leverage can be horrendous.

I was at a tournament where a local black belt was telling one of his students not to tap to a straight ankle because it's "just a pain move". (The white belt ended up tapping and he was fine.) One of our black belts saw the exchange and told him "You should tap if we compete. It will break." Predictably, the warning was blown off. They did end up competing, our BB straight ankled him, dude didn't tap, and our BB broke his tibia in half.

The "ankle lock" can be improved by sliding lower on the foot and giving some sideways pressure. If you do that and can see the ankle during the lock, you'll actually be attacking the small tendons in the top of the foot, which can be torn.

This. The achilles tendon is not the focus of the attack. Ideally it will attack the side of the ankle (similar to a toehold) and the tendons and small bones on the top of the foot. I'm aware of some staggering injuries that resulted from people not tapping.

And to the original point -- I would absolutely label the inverted heel hook as more dangerous than the standard one. Harder to catch, for some, but incredibly hard to defend and decisive in its destructiveness.

yeah reverse heel hook is the strongest and to me its easier to get into cant really roll out of it like a standard heel hook either

This. The achilles tendon is not the focus of the attack. Ideally it will attack the side of the ankle (similar to a toehold) and the tendons and small bones on the top of the foot. I'm aware of some staggering injuries that resulted from people not tapping.

And to the original point -- I would absolutely label the inverted heel hook as more dangerous than the standard one. Harder to catch, for some, but incredibly hard to defend and decisive in its destructiveness.
btw man im gonna start traveling around the us for my mma training i wana stop in nyc to train with eddie cummings for some leg lock training do you know how much he would charge for a private? or which renzo gym he trains at?

btw man im gonna start traveling around the us for my mma training i wana stop in nyc to train with eddie cummings for some leg lock training do you know how much he would charge for a private? or which renzo gym he trains at?
He has an email on his Facebook page that can be messaged. Best to direct all your questions there.

breaking feet and tear ligaments is unfortunately a true thing.

This happens way too often at competition. I always give my opponents time to tap but very often they think it's just pain and nothing you have to tap for. Just yesterday, it happened during 3 of my fights...
I can't understand this ...specially not in the purpel belt division with experienced guys. I always feel sorry for them but at the end it's their own fault. If you do an armbar and the arm is fully streched you tap and you don't wait until the arm snaps.

In general: Not tapping is not worth it. Your pride will not help you in training when you have to recover for days, weeks or even months

alot of sambo guys are taught not to tap to ankle locks a sambo guy use to train with me years back you could as deep as you wanted on an ankle and hed never tap said it doesnt hurt him anymore due to being put there so much lolidk if thats a bad thing or good thing.

the straight footlock can seem like a pain move because most people are just shoving their bone into the back of the ligament. The best straight footlock targets the top of the foot and not the back of the leg. Check out the way shiny aoki teaches it. This requires much less strength and will definitely injure the top of your foot.

My all time favorite entry into the inside hook heel hook is off the opponent's DLR guard. Straighten leg with the Hook and angle toward the inside of their thigh to pop hook, leg drag opposite leg into position and slide your legs into your preferred leg lock position and finish. Stupid simple and very easy and quick if you drill it consistently

the straight footlock can seem like a pain move because most people are just shoving their bone into the back of the ligament. The best straight footlock targets the top of the foot and not the back of the leg. Check out the way shiny aoki teaches it. This requires much less strength and will definitely injure the top of your foot.

Ankle locks work, there are some guys that do not tap from them, you can be 100% sure you are not going to tap miyao form anything but may be a reverse Hh, and I'm not sure if he even taps from that.

What's interesting about aokis vid is that he does it in a total different way as lister teaches... Lister says you have to grab the foot as high as you can, and use your Lats to put pressure... Aoki says go low, he's generating the force from his hip... 2 different moves, because the way lister teaches it is not going belly down, but if you are going to go belly down, IMO aokis technique is better

alot of sambo guys are taught not to tap to ankle locks a sambo guy use to train with me years back you could as deep as you wanted on an ankle and hed never tap said it doesnt hurt him anymore due to being put there so much lolidk if thats a bad thing or good thing.

We also have a former russian wrestling champion in our team. Beside of his incredible strength he is also always very relaxed and flexible. I had him several times in a foot lock but I could never tap him with it (I am sure even with full force I could not do that). It's because his foot stays completely relaxed and his ligaments do not care for the extra stretching. It feels just like a rubber foot.
But abilities like this are rare I guess and for most guys a simple ankle lock is good enough ...specially uf they just jump guard or sit down and lay on thei arse or back ...it's like they beg you for a leg lock.

Usually with this mechanic you will break the foot

Usually with this mechanic you will break the foot

No you won't, the foot never breaks, it dislocates, and in some extreme cases, nothing happens.

It's incredible hard to actually break ligaments.

The technique your showing is pretty good, but your not putting enough emphasis on the hips it seems, grab low, hip in... Aokis shows it perfectly.

Also, one way to prevent the guy coming on top is to use Insise leg, instead of trying to control distance with the outside leg, which is easily counterEd by your opponent by just pushing the leg away, you use the leg that's in between his legs to keep him in away, and the outside leg to create tension... It works much better...

Last edited:
The best way to straight ankle lock that I've seen is the one I picked up from Eddie Cummings, in which you allow the heel to slip slightly outside your armpit so it's resting on your rib cage but you still have a strong grip on the foot. Now when you put your hips into it, you're essentially hitting an inside heel hook though it's not obvious that that's where the pressure comes from. As far as I can tell, it would be legal in pretty much any tournament but would most certainly break your leg.

I have an instructor that his an ankle lock and I swear it seems like he applying a heel hook to you. It's a nasty ankle lock, he had had guys not tap to it and regret it. He says he doesn't attack feet anymore because of injuries guys get and the refusal for guys to tap to them.

The best way to straight ankle lock that I've seen is the one I picked up from Eddie Cummings, in which you allow the heel to slip slightly outside your armpit so it's resting on your rib cage but you still have a strong grip on the foot. Now when you put your hips into it, you're essentially hitting an inside heel hook though it's not obvious that that's where the pressure comes from. As far as I can tell, it would be legal in pretty much any tournament but would most certainly break your leg.
got any vids of this?

Back