Leg lock Basics

Mr Rick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
im pretty new to leg locks and I'm not sure of the most important positions and submissions to train. If I wanted to get a decent grasps of the basics what should I focus on?

I started with Reilly Bodycomb's Top Rock. The tripod ankle lock is great and he explains a bunch of other options. Also, it's name your price.

Rdojo.com

Stephan Kesting's High Percentage Leglocks is very good , lots of great material with clear and concise instruction

If you're just starting with leglocks I would focus on learning a few entries to the main positions like Ashi Garami/Single Leg X and Inside Senkaku, then learn how to control a person and keep them in those positions as long as possible. Depending on how your training partners and school feel about heel hooks, maybe just finish with straight ankle locks. You can find a decent amount of information for free online if you hunt hard enough.

Stephan Kesting just released a new instructional which is pretty awesome, goes through entering positions, controlling, finishing, etc etc. It is $97 though (At the moment at least, price is gunna go up to $177 at some point soon) so if money's an object then maybe get Reilly's.

Thanks for all the replays guys. I think I'm gonna get reillys top rock stuff, because I'm cheap lol. The suggested price is only $20 which really isn't bad. To anyone who has seen both should I get the old version and the updated or just the newer one? Not sure if it'll be a lot of repeated info. I've been having a little hunt on YouTube as well and found some good videos.

Also speaking of entries into the main leg lock positions, does anyone have some go to transitions they like? Obviously open guard and I've seen the stuff from being mounted a fair bit. I'm mainly interested in stuff I can use for mma and no go.

Again thanks for the help guys. Obviously I'm new to site so I wasn't sure what the response would be like!

Top Rock Turbo should be good. A majority of Reilly's content focuses on entering from standing so that should be useful for you. His No Kurtka set covers some rolling/flying entries as well.

Ok thanks. I'm all over that when I get my next day off!

Back