Learning the overhead squat

ivorytusk

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Greetings,
For various reasons I won't go into now I am limited to how much weight i can squat. I usually squat LB or with a SSB for a bit of variety. So rather than plug away at lower weights I thought I'd have a crack at OHsquatting.

I've had a look online and read up on the basics but I'd like to hear from you guys-
-technique tips, it feels a very alien movement.
-mobility issues, my shoulder flexibility is poor. Band work, stretches- what worked for you?
-foot placement, I seem to need a much wider stance than my regular stance, is this normal?
-hand /grip width, vary it- see what works or is there a reason to avoid too narrow/wide?
-depth, I've read that I should start with partial squats until my flexibility improves?
-head position, should it always be in front of my elbows etc?
-pauses, boxes, any of these good for learning?

That's all all I can think of at the moment.

Any input appreciated.

Start with a broomstick or wooden dowel. And practice, practice, practice!

Complete layman's advice:

Do shoulder presses, and do that textbook thing where you shrug the bar at the top. I felt that gives me a bit more stability for the overhead squat as well.
I watched some ohsq instruction video at some point where the instructor said you should consciously rotate your armpits forward throughout the lift. That felt like it helped me some too.

I used an old jumprope that had broken and put the handles on one of the shorter pieces of the rope and used it to do shoulder mobility work for a long time.

I also found that once I could comfortably do the ohs with the bar, I was able to move up in weight fairly quickly.

-technique tips, it feels a very alien movement.

1. Try to pull the bar apart.
2. Hold it with a hook grip. Can let your hands get in a bit better position.
3. Shoes help a lot for stability on the descent, but takes practice getting used to it

mobility issues, my shoulder flexibility is poor. Band work, stretches- what worked for you?

Shoulder dislocations and cuban press from my perspective.

hand /grip width, vary it- see what works or is there a reason to avoid too narrow/wide?

Pick a grip so that when the bar is hanging at your hip, the bar is right in the crease of your hip.

-head position, should it always be in front of my elbows etc?

In the most ideal sense, no, everything should just be in a straight line. But a forward lean is almost inevitable. The weight should be over your feet.

^^^ shoulder dislocations.

That's what I was doing with the shortened jumprope.

Shoulder dislocations never hurt anybody.

Treat it as weighted stretching in the beginning, take your time to sink into the stretch and focus on being stable.
After you get comfortable with that, start adding weight.

Practice the squat beforehand with the empty bar, easing into the position. And check the bar's length, if it's too short you are gonna have a bad time doig the exercise ( Olympic bars <3 ).

Sholder dislocations are awesome.

Thanks for the input guys. very helpful.

as expected my ankle and should mobility is limiting me at the moment.

lots of shoulder dislocates req'd. would elevating heels be a good stepping stone for ankles?

re: foot placement, would you say similar to front squat? my LB foot posistion is just over shoulder width with feet prety much pointing forward and theres no way i can stay vertical. i think i need to get my 'balls to my ankles' more?

Thanks for the input guys. very helpful.

as expected my ankle and should mobility is limiting me at the moment.

lots of shoulder dislocates req'd. would elevating heels be a good stepping stone for ankles?

re: foot placement, would you say similar to front squat? my LB foot posistion is just over shoulder width with feet prety much pointing forward and theres no way i can stay vertical. i think i need to get my 'balls to my ankles' more?

For me it's similar to a normal high bar squat. I fact, that's all I do anymore, high bar and overhead squats.

Don't really know why anyone would do overhead squats.

I just started these and really like them ... Question though. I was thinking of getting compression sleeves for my knees. Will they help? I am getting old and knees are sore. Not unbearble, but want to be proactive.

Don't really know why anyone would do overhead squats.

Reasons people OH Squat:
Has an application to Oly lifting
Can help improve mobility
Looks cool
Their CF coach told them to

Last edited:
Biggest factor will be mobility from what you've said.
Really mobilise the short (Gastroc) and long (Soleus) head of your calves, internal and external hip rotation, and shoulder mobility.

Fixing the lower body mobility issues will help you get a more upright position in your squat and take stress off the shoulder girdle.

Back