Last Night: More Maia being great or Condit being bad?

when Maia drags you down you are in his world.

1 in a million bjj fighting 1 in a billion bjj.

Maia can catch everyone, condit tried to get up much like holm did vs tate and that allowed maia proper hooks and square hips = matter of time.

Definitely more of Maia simply being too good.

Condit brought his usual game. We all expected Maia to take him down, we all know Condit's TDD is crap.

What we didn't expect was Maia ground and pounding Condit into submission. Maia stepped up his game a bit more. Maia won that fight easily because of the right punch he threw from half guard. It rocked Condit and made him turtle up on his back, letting Maia secure the easy win.

The old Maia never wanted to hurt his opponents. This new one is starting to show some signs of Jacare savegery.

Condit over estimated his sub defense, which is reasonable because its not like anyone else gets close to subbing him.

His first sub loss in over a decade fyi.

Hey look its a guy with a Nick Diaz AV with the username "The Natural Born Runner" who's thread is suggesting that Condit is just a bad fighter. No agenda here folks.

Its Maia being great IMO. Hope he becomes champ so that the overall MMA grapling game gets elevated in the UFC. I think trainers already is breaking down Maias game to elevate their fighters grapling.

Mix of both factors in my opinion, honestly once a fighter starts doubting themselves it's a down wood spiral, and Condit has been doing that, going into a fight with a guy like Maia who is on a roll when you don't know yourself if you can go to the limits you once did is a recipe for disaster and it paid evidently.

You have to give Maia mad credit. Executed his game plan perfectly. And on the ground he is obviously a beast.

But I will say that Condit looked too passive on the feet. When I saw him hunched over and backing up I knew it was going to be a long night for him. That did nothing for him as he still gave up a quick takedown. Condit needed to come out more aggressive, catch Maia with some punches and build up a sweat before Maia's takedown.

If Condit came in guns blazing Maia would have taken him down even sooner and tapped him 10 seconds earlier.

Sorry but Maia is just that good.

Condit fighting cautiously was likely the correct approach instead of being aggressive.

The fight result: Maia being great

The fact that Condit couldn't defend the sub for a minute: Condit being terrible
so being subbed by the best jiu jitsu artist in the division makes you terrible?

are you daft, or just intentionally pretending to be?

so being subbed by the best jiu jitsu artist in the division makes you terrible?

are you daft, or just intentionally pretending to be?

Did you even read what I said? Jesus christ

It was all "Maia good" until he was close to getting mount. Condit locked Maia's leg to prevent him from getting to mount, but then gave up his back. Condit didn't try to explode from back mount and didn't handfight the choke much.

It is Maia, the elite of the elite, but plenty of fighters have had Maia on their back and defended with more energy. Fitch, Brown, J-Mac and Gunnar, for example. I think highly of Condit's grappling, so I think he could've defended better. I don't think there was the same effort as earlier in Condit's run.

I knew if the fight ever got to the ground it would be over for Condit. Maia great. Maia bless.

He's the one guy in the division that can tap you if he gets a takedown and end it on the spot.
Condit gave up that takedown.

Both but not in the sense that Condit sucks. His takedown defense, however, does suck and it is a hole he never patched up in his game and has led to a few of his losses in the UFC.

He went to the ground with a world class BJJ practitioner and obviously underestimated just how good Maia was on the ground.

Nice username. Haters are cool. But on topic that was Maia being great. And now it sets up Condit/Diaz 2. Seeing how they're both technically on losing streaks (though Condit did take 4 rounds vs then-champ Lawler.)

Did you even read what I said? Jesus christ

oh i'm sorry, so when you said "The fact that Condit couldn't defend the sub for a minute: Condit being terrible", you didn't actually mean that condit is terrible for getting subbed in a minute by demian fucking maia. you meant something entirely different, something that wasn't completely retarded.

I was nervous for this fight.
Maia was exactly what I expected. I was just afraid if Condit would be able to maintain the distance.

Super happy for Maia!!!

WAR MAIA!!!

It's not fashionable on this forum to say it's cuz the loser has declined and lost his drive, but that definitely contributed.

We saw Maia dominate Rory in the early going and then gas out.
I think Condit was capable of the same, but he didn't execute.

oh i'm sorry, so when you said "The fact that Condit couldn't defend the sub for a minute: Condit being terrible", you didn't actually mean that condit is terrible for getting subbed in a minute by demian fucking maia. you meant something entirely different, something that wasn't completely retarded.

I meant exactly that, do you want me to list the fighters who survived on the ground for more than a minute against Maia?

Condit isn't a terrible fighters obviously, but his performance that day was indeed terrible. You probably got triggered after seeing the part "Condit being terrible" and missed the context.

Back