Larry merchant fired

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Was Larry Merchant fired after the interview with Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Hell no but he should have been fired after the Alien interview and before that when he attacked dude for walking up during the interview.

I miss Larry Merchant. He was abrasive and ruthless. He was not necessarily the most tactful during post-fight interviews, actually he was downright quite combative. Still, I also knew I was in store for some entertainment.

And for that I am happy.

Merchant could occasionally be quite entertaining, especially when paired with Foreman, or when he'd delve into his half-coherent whiskey-fueled rants. In terms of boxing commentary, though, I never thought he added much, and a lot of the time it seemed like he barely enjoyed the sport.

But no, he was never fired or even sanctioned for any of that stuff (as far as I'm aware). Hell, HBO probably liked the added controversy.

image.png

Yeah I liked Merchant. Some of his commentary during the fight seemed to come out of left field and left you scratching your head in confusion but usually at the end of the fight he was able to tie it all together and make it make sense lol.

Last edited:
I like Merchant a lot, but it was a good time to replace him, tho I don't like Max much. Merchant until the last year or so on HBO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Max

lot of the time it seemed like he barely enjoyed the sport.

That's a good way to describe it. It definitely sounded like driving to the arena had become a chore.

That's a good way to describe it. It definitely sounded like driving to the arena had become a chore.

He always seemed drunk by the time he gave his post-fight conclusion, which made him a pretty iconic figure whether you enjoyed him or thought he was an idiot. He was just part of boxing to me when I was growing up, so I grew to enjoy him in a way. He was definitely out of line several times though, specifically I thought he was rude to Hopkins.

Hated that alcoholic

He always seemed drunk by the time he gave his post-fight conclusion, which made him a pretty iconic figure whether you enjoyed him or thought he was an idiot. He was just part of boxing to me when I was growing up, so I grew to enjoy him in a way. He was definitely out of line several times though, specifically I thought he was rude to Hopkins.

Yeah, that's the one. That is just way out of line. Even if you want to grill him on the opponent selection, there is a more professional way to do it.

Ahhhh ole Bushmills Merchant, a true legend of the pugilism and alcoholism worlds. Glad to see he's still kicking, when I first saw his name I thought this was gonna be an rip thread.

i actually like Larry, and him calling Hopkins out was absolutely spot on

Just because nobody else has the balls to do it, doesnt mean it doesnt need saying by somebody

Just because nobody else has the balls to do it, doesnt mean it doesnt need saying by somebody

It's okay to call Hopkins out, but he could have done it in a more professional manner. He approached it as more of an attack than a line of questioning, in my opinion.

Ran into him back 03 at the Stub Hub and tried to converse with him, zero personality, no class, just a dry human being, although he did look wasted, dont know what HBO saw in him, probably cause he resembles Dennis Hopper, but anyway, so fucking glad hes no longer around

I can't stand Lampley but it'll be weird when him and Bernstein retire, too.

Then blame the mandatory systems of the sanctioning bodies, don't tell someone who took years to unify all the belts that he should drop them because one of his mandatories was shit. HBO put on countless mismatches with name fighters against shitty mandatories both then and now and none of them got close to the shit that Merchant gave Hopkins.

Back