Platinum Member
Reaction score
TUF 23 blog (week 5): Battle of the Brits
LANCHANA GREEN 19 MAY 2016
FIGHTERS ONLY MAGAZINE

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/one-fc/24372-tuf-23-blog-week-5

lanchanagreentuf.jpg

Excerpts:

"It was interesting to watch back on Team Joanna's training session preparing Helen to fight me. Little did they know I have been doing my utmost for the past two years to not kick to the body in MMA. When I had my first MMA fight, kicks were pretty much taken out of my game to avoid me getting taken down. Since then I have focused on boxing a lot more, movement and my favorite technique: the teep. I hated it at first – I felt my first love, Muay Thai, had been taken away from me, but until I could improve my wrestling and grappling aspect it was a necessary move. Everyone expected me to come out in a traditional Muay Thai stance, standing tall and light on the front foot. Well, surprise! I have developed my style."
~
"On fight day I like being around people laughing and joking right up until it's time for me to start warming up, so I took Amanda Cooper from my team with me. She was brilliant as she did nothing but talk all the way all the way to the gym, which is exactly what I needed so I appreciated that."

Great fight, worthy winner. But what the fuck was up with that referee?
While Harper was trying to pry her leg free in half guard, to get into full mount or side control; 'Keep on working!'
When she'd almost gotten into full mount and was punching and elbowing her; 'You gotta keep on working!'
What the hell was he smoking prior to the fight? Or does he simply not know a single thing about grappling?

While Harper was trying to pry her leg free in half guard, to get into full mount or side control; 'Keep on working!'
When she'd almost gotten into full mount and was punching and elbowing her; 'You gotta keep on working!'
What the hell was he smoking prior to the fight? Or does he simply not know a single thing about grappling?
im surprised he didnt stand them up, its his usual thing.

I vaguely remember him shouting, "Don't pound the floor!" or something similar.

Haha! I forgot that one. Even the mrs, who was in the same room as I, shook her head and wondered wtf he was going on about.

im surprised he didnt stand them up, its his usual thing.
Yeah he's not usually stellar, but this was shit even compared to his usual subpar standard.

Haha! I forgot that one. Even the mrs, who was in the same room as I, shook her head and wondered wtf he was going on about.

I asked about this during the pbp, but nobody had an answer for me.

What he said was: "Don't (something) the mat".

What I thought I heard him say was: "Don't grab the mat." As if this was something forbidden like grabbing the fence. But is it even possible to grab the mat? Not knowing if this actually made sense, it made me doubt what I thought I heard.

I think he said something like "don't pound the mat" because sometimes if people need to tap they slap or pound the floor.

I asked about this during the pbp, but nobody had an answer for me.

What he said was: "Don't (something) the mat".

What I thought I heard him say was: "Don't grab the mat." As if this was something forbidden like grabbing the fence. But is it even possible to grab the mat? Not knowing if this actually made sense, it made me doubt what I thought I heard.
He just sounded like a complete nooblet to be perfectly honest. Seemingly unaware of any finer details of grappling.

I think he said something like "don't pound the mat" because sometimes if people need to tap they slap or pound the floor.

I re-watched that round several times, and what the ref actually said was: "Don't bang the mat." I think I heard the banging the ref was referring to, a cluster of 4 thump sounds right before he commanded "don't bang the mat", but, after re-watching several times, i'm pretty sure no banging of the mat was done by either fighter!

So what was going on? I can't say with certainty, but my guess is that somebody cage-side did the thumping, and the ref told them, not the fighters, to stop it.

I re-watched that round several times, and what the ref actually said was: "Don't bang the mat." I think I heard the banging the ref was referring to, a cluster of 4 thump sounds right before he commanded "don't bang the mat", but, after re-watching several times, i'm pretty sure no banging of the mat was done by either fighter!

So what was going on? I can't say with certainty, but my guess is that somebody cage-side did the thumping, and the ref told them, not the fighters, to stop it.

Yeah, you could hear it and it sounded like it was coming from Helen's corner trying to drive her on cause they were yelling to her at the same time. So, I suppose it's understandable to some degree. I didn't mind that too much to be honest. It might even have had something to do with mic placement, picking up sound and recording for the show more than anything, so I was fine with him telling the corner team to stop banging the mat.

As to the 'keep working' business...I think they'd be instructed to hassle the fighters to work more than usual because of the TV format and the two round length. As long as they don't actually threaten to stand them up or prod too much, I'm happy with them telling the controlling fighter to keep working. She was trying to improve position but without any great urgency. She did seem like she'd be reasonably content to lay and pray and just control top position if she could have I think, but yeah, I imagine they'd have strict guidelines to try and keep it moving as much as possible for the casual audience. Just as long as they don't get stood up or too forceful with the instructions then I don't mind them getting a reminder.

Great fight though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back