Kovalev vs Ward

rmongler

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Great fight.

I thought Kovalev looked sharper in neutral, but Ward exposed a hole in his game by really abusing the tie-ups; Kovalev seemed like he had no real answer for that.

One thing that elevates a great fighter to a champion level fighter is that instinct for 'finding a way to win'; as soon as he tasted those hands Ward knew that trying to box heads up with Kovalev wasn't going to work out; he did what he had to do to get himself back into the game and the fight into deep waters (even if, personally, I don't think it was enough to ultimately give him the decision).

How bout you guys, what did you see in the fight?

Last edited:
I saw a lot of Ward sneaking in hits on the break or at least where a fighter like Kovalev expected there to be a break in the action. Kovalev didn't expect to get hit half as much as he did because he was not used to a fighter using those moments to attack like Ward did. That said I think Kovalev won the fight. To win in a rematch Kovalev has to shore up his defence when he comes out of a clinch situation because that's where Andre was getting to him. On the outside I think he has Wards number.

Back