Knuckle Injury

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I injured my second knuckle doing heavybag and pad work. Ever since after a few punches my knuckle starts to hurt and the next day it is stiff and painful to make a fist but after a day or two is settles down again. Even after a 2 week break it persisted the moment I hit the bag.

The brodoctors at the gym seem to think it's the tendon sheath is split and that it happens to all fighters eventually and the idea is to punch until it is broken and up and removed to stop irritating it (sounds like an absolutely terrible idea and a precursor to arthritis) so my question for you is do you think it's a tendon injury?
When I grab the skin over the knuckle it hurts so possibly nerve damage in the skin?
The tendon seems to have a lump on it but doesn't slip anywhere like it would if it was torn.

I'd like to hear your suggestions before I go to the doctor.

Without xray you won't know a thing. Also takes months for a break to heal if you keep using the hand not weeks.

Without xray you won't know a thing. Also takes months for a break to heal if you keep using the hand not weeks.

It's almost certain it's not a break as the knuckle and bone are not what hurt. It's something on the knuckle itself i.e tendon or tendon sheath Dr told me and Xray may not pick up much as it doesn't have any of the symptoms of a fracture or break.

It's almost certain it's not a break as the knuckle and bone are not what hurt. It's something on the knuckle itself i.e tendon or tendon sheath Dr told me and Xray may not pick up much as it doesn't have any of the symptoms of a fracture or break.
i suffered sore knuckles for the first couple of years when punching, is it sore or fuck that hurts? my knuckles are pretty deformed from punching and i have even broken one on somebodies head, i don't get any pain from punching these days, but like you said i will probably have arthritis when i get older. it really depends on what you plan on doing with you hands when your older. i sure won't be playing the piano any time soon.

Back