Knee pain from lockdown drilling

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
My right knee used to be my "good knee" but after doing lockdowns in half guard and also attempting to escape when my leg is locked down, I have a faint pain in my knee. What do you guys do to address this? Is it possible to do jiu jitsu without drilling lockdowns? I know it's a rough sport, if knee pain is to be expected I might have to try something else since my knees are already iffy from basketball.

It is a bit of common sense.

If you tweeked your knee during drilling specific techniques. Don't drill with that limb.

Yes, lockdown will tweeked your knee if you defend the sweep. So if it is just a drill, just don't resist.

Learn how to pass the lockdown properly.

There is a great video on you tube with Eddie bravo teaching how to pass the lockdown without tweekimg your knee.

Last edited:
knee pain is to be expected
No! Only if you do something wrong.

Keep your locked leg relaxed and work with your arms and upper body. Trying to fight with locked leg creates more stress on your knee. Knee braces help, too.

It is a bit of common sense.

If you tweeked your knee during drilling specific techniques. Don't drill with that limb.

Yes, lockdown will tweeked your knee if you defend the sweep. So if it is just a drill, just don't resist.

Learn how to pass the lockdown properly.

There is a great video on you tube with Eddie bravo teaching how to pass the lockdown without tweekimg your knee.

Here's the thing - the instructor had one person apply the lockdown to the leg and told the other to do whatever they could to get out of it. We learned one pass, but since the other person just did it, it wasn't effective. I couldn't use common sense to not do this drill because the knee didn't hurt before the drill.

I've been icing and have skipped the first two days this week. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Here's the thing - the instructor had one person apply the lockdown to the leg and told the other to do whatever they could to get out of it. We learned one pass, but since the other person just did it, it wasn't effective. I couldn't use common sense to not do this drill because the knee didn't hurt before the drill.

I've been icing and have skipped the first two days this week. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Stay away from the the lockdown from now in if you have dodgy knees.

Also which escape were you taught?

The other concern is the instructor telling you to do whatever to get out!

Stay away from the the lockdown from now in if you have dodgy knees.

Also which escape were you taught?

The other concern is the instructor telling you to do whatever to get out!

I think his exact words were to try and escape. I don't recall the name of the escape we were taught.

Guess my knees are dodgy. =/ Maybe I should stretch before class? The instructor suggested this tonight.

Guess my knees are dodgy. =/ Maybe I should stretch before class? The instructor suggested this tonight.
What really helps is spinning stationary bicycle with no effort for 15-20 minutes sometime before the class and next day after.

What really helps is spinning stationary bicycle with no effort for 15-20 minutes sometime before the class and next day after.

I have a long history of knee issues and my discomfort went away almost entirely after I started riding my bike to and from class (10 min each way). My situation is a luxury, obviously, but if you grabbed a cheap stationary bike and rode lightly for a few minutes after class one could get the same results, I'm sure.

Back