Kill your ego

Free your mind and the rest will follow

Be colour blind, don't be so shallow…

<5>

Is it possible to suppress one's ego completely? And to be the best person you can be simply because you choose to, to no longer feel wounded by the critics or judgements of others, to understands one's capabilities and shortcomings, accepting them, and to use them as avenues for improvement.

If suppressing the ego is possible, is this the path to enlightenment?

Discuss.
"Getting rid of" your ego is just another way of "one-upping" everyone else i.e. an ego trip. If you desire to kill your ego, you are still driven by desire. If instead you lack all desire, ego disappears by itself.

Ego is fear, can you conquer your fears? No, none of us can. Your ego is a construct of self preservation instincts filtered through you conscious mind. You are afraid because you've been bread to be so and your ego is a rationalization of those fears.

Why not? Can the ego only limit us? Can it allow or help us to grow at all, in your opinion?
For me, the ego is the wrong method to promote personal growth. It is striving to succeed out of fear of failure and ridicule. Without ego, one can approach a task without fear with only the thought to do the best of one's own ability. And I'm not talking about 'a close enough for government work' type of effort, but a real, honest try. Of course this follows with a little Yoda philosophy. 'Do or do not. There is no try.' Which has some honesty to that statement as well.

Some ego is necessary to take care of the body. Teachings like those of the yogi can remove the sense of separation and suffering associated with attraction and aversion. It is said that once one realizes completely that the body is not the self, potentials increase tremendously.

"Getting rid of" your ego is just another way of "one-upping" everyone else i.e. an ego trip. If you desire to kill your ego, you are still driven by desire. If instead you lack all desire, ego disappears by itself.
I respectfully disagree.
Killing your ego is the opposite of one upping everyone else. It entirely removes competitiveness. I perform for the joy of the task. I perform with my evaluation of my effort as the only judge.
I don't find desire to be the driving force behind ego. I think it is okay to want. But do not want with envy or want too excess.

anyway.. I found this philosophy bouncing around in my head over and over again as I am rock climbing. As most rock climbers will attest, the sport is very personal. Everyone has different physical attributes which makes each problem somewhat unique for the individual. Which will work for one climber will not always work for me and vise versa. I began to realize the most important thing about each climb was to try at the best of my ability instead of focusing on my short reach which often left holds outside of my finger tips. With that, I began to climb better and enjoy the sport more.

Perhaps I would be well off to let that spill over into other avenues of my life.

Is it possible to suppress one's ego completely? And to be the best person you can be simply because you choose to, to no longer feel wounded by the critics or judgements of others, to understands one's capabilities and shortcomings, accepting them, and to use them as avenues for improvement.

Discuss.
Your questions are disjointed. Try to come up with one clear, simple question, without the rambling, and use that as a foundation from which to venture forth. Fanciful questions produce fanciful answers. I know you're sincerely searching for something, but you're all over the place...you don't really know what. What is that bulls-eye that you're shooting for? Killing your ego is too nebulous a concept; the ego is the I, and you can't kill the I. You don't want to. It is your whole universe.

why wouldn't the nihilist pen write?

because there was no point

I respectfully disagree.
Killing your ego is the opposite of one upping everyone else. It entirely removes competitiveness. I perform for the joy of the task. I perform with my evaluation of my effort as the only judge.
I don't find desire to be the driving force behind ego. I think it is okay to want. But do not want with envy or want too excess.

anyway.. I found this philosophy bouncing around in my head over and over again as I am rock climbing. As most rock climbers will attest, the sport is very personal. Everyone has different physical attributes which makes each problem somewhat unique for the individual. Which will work for one climber will not always work for me and vise versa. I began to realize the most important thing about each climb was to try at the best of my ability instead of focusing on my short reach which often left holds outside of my finger tips. With that, I began to climb better and enjoy the sport more.

Perhaps I would be well off to let that spill over into other avenues of my life.
It all depends on one important thing - MOTIVES. If you say to yourself "ego is getting in my way. If I kill it, I will be so much better off. I will be free of desire. I will be nice to people. I will feel no sadness, no regret. I must kill my ego." - then your ego is actually tricking you. You DESIRE to become this "perfect" human being - a role model, a hero, a demigod. That's your ego talking.

Have a listen:

But damn, what do I know? It's all philosophy and everyone carries his own god in his chest.

Yeah I'm flooding the topic with Alan Watts. Sorry.

I bet I've killed my ego more than you have

Having an ego is good, having an inflated one isnt. Doing something like bjj or wrestling helps mellow dudes out

I don't think so. Having an ego seems to be what motivates you to be better, particularly when you do something shitty or procrastinate and someone criticizes or shames you into self examination, where you then make the determination to be a better person.

Discuss.

i don't think that ego is necessarily a bad thing. i personally do not believe that one can be kind to others and perform acts of philanthropy, if they don't first-off feel good about themselves. feeling good about yourself requires a sense of an ego, because you know that you are a valuable human and are worthy of respect. that is a lot different to being a narcissist and going out of your way prove to others that you are worthy. we have all, at one time or another, come across someone who makes it a point to demonstrate that they are great. there is no need in putting yourself out there in that way, because it will be evident to others when you truly are a good and kind-hearted person.

Back