Kickboxing sparring help

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Tommyisda1, May 12, 2018.

1. Tommyisda1 White Belt

Tommyisda1
    Hi, I just recently started sparring Thai boxing. I find out that I have a hesitation to get into the range where I can land my shots (especially my cross), can anyone help me with this issue? BTW this isn't hard sparring just technical, is it because I am focusing too much on my opponent's arms which creates this hesitation? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks all.

shincheckin likes this.
  2. Troublesome10 non serviam belt

Troublesome10
    I'm no expert, and others will be able to give you better advice. But for me partner drilling helped a lot, just getting used to your range and blocking shots that you know are coming (since it's a drill) helps to get you more comfortable in front of your opponent.
    Also, try to set you cross up with jabs first and then a one two. This will help you find the range and also test your opponent's reactions.
    I also look at my opponent's chest rather than his limbs.
    Also, ask you partner to take it easy on you while you get comfortable.

Tommyisda1 likes this.
  3. Tommyisda1 White Belt

Tommyisda1
    I am currently drilling exercises to get use to absorbing shots and not flinching too much at them is that good for getting rid of the fear of getting hit?

mma sharingan likes this.
  4. mma sharingan Brown Belt

mma sharingan
    Just drill 20% defense drills whether you go kick for kick with your partner practicing each block with minimal damage for muscle memory.

In sparring if you feel nervous or hesitant because your most likely worried about the counter, then do what I do, take a breath and say fuck it to yourself in your head and just fire it, don't think soo much, you'll freeze up and get picked apart, take calculated fuck it risks while keeping a broken rhythm of jabs, leg kicks and selective shots mixed with bursts. The more you get hit the more you get use to it.

Tommyisda1 likes this.
  5. Ultra O’Dia Blue Belt

Ultra O’Dia
    you will take more risks as you get more confident, and you will get more confidence from taking risks.
    Just as long as your partner isnt gonna follow up on a good shot. I was always thought going hard was the best way to learn, provided that both guys want to keep their sparring partner confident, healthy and progressing.
    its all about finding out how to land that one clean shot that puts the ball in your court in a fight. Any asshole can whale on a guy when he is hurt or has been made timid.
    Keep building your sparring intensity on egoless, equal terms, two partners trying to improve together, and stop and reset if a good one lands.

Tommyisda1 likes this.
  6. shincheckin Purple Belt

shincheckin
    this is going to sound too simple/easy but........if you wan to improve your cross, you need to throw it a million times. So drill it to death on the bag and pads. Do that for 3 months, by the end of 3 months, your cross will have improved.

7. Tommyisda1 White Belt

Tommyisda1
    How fast should I be sparring? and should i avoid using headgear?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. Kanka Brown Belt

Kanka
    This might sound weird but practise throwing more jabs. Throwing the cross feels unnatural because naturally you won't be in the range to throw the cross. A good way to det up the cross is by getting your distance right with the jab and then follow up with the cross.

ctrlaltdelete likes this.
  9. bigsmooth187 Yellow Belt

bigsmooth187
    Practice throwing it over and over on pads and heavy bag. Focus on recognizing your effective distance for landing it. After landing (or missing) be sure to bring it back to protect your face... too many let it hang out there to watch it.

10. Blazeblack Blue Belt

Blazeblack
    To be honest there’s no real science to it. I could waste both of our time and give you some convoluted advice about how to set your shots up proper foot work, blah blah blah. The secret is to just keep doing it and find a style that works for you. If anything the best advice I could give is to not over think it don’t expect to wax all your sparring partners right off the bat.

Snubnoze707 likes this.
  11. Tommyisda1 White Belt

Tommyisda1
    I find that I hesitate to step in for my range to become effective, I think I its because I think of the punches my opponent will throw when I come in.