Kickboxing benefits as a judo guy

Chungungo

Getting some snow
@Green
Reaction score
Hola, I´m a judo guy who wants to do some kick boxing for these summer months as the university club is closed til next March so my question is ...what benefits can I get from Kickboxing besides being more complete?

I did Muay Thai for over a year and I like the fact goes well with judo due to the clinch but don´t know if I´ll find kickboxing so interesting as is just kicks and punches---

They teach you ways to hide your low kicks with punches which is essential if you want to use them in an MMA/NHB scenario.

Cardio. striking can be a bit different of a workout compared to grappling. You'd still get a good workout.
Kickboxing's pretty vague, but if its the modern one (K1), its MT without clinching and elbows. You'd learn decent combinations. Overall with K1, I find it carries over to MMA a bit better than pure MT in terms of stance and combinations.

Its fun and a hidden benefit would be the coordination it requires from eye-hand to feet. The most successful judoka I knew was a very coordinated/athletic man

They teach you ways to hide your low kicks with punches which is essential if you want to use them in an MMA/NHB scenario.
Awesome, sounds like more specific than Muay Thai in those tactics.
Cardio. striking can be a bit different of a workout compared to grappling. You'd still get a good workout.
Kickboxing's pretty vague, but if its the modern one (K1), its MT without clinching and elbows. You'd learn decent combinations. Overall with K1, I find it carries over to MMA a bit better than pure MT in terms of stance and combinations.
The coach loves K-1 but sadly he has to focus in kickboxing without knees as is more popular around here and there are more tournaments...

Its fun and a hidden benefit would be the coordination it requires from eye-hand to feet. The most successful judoka I knew was a very coordinated/athletic man
Oh that´s cool, I love judo but is hard for me to be so coordinate---

No knee kickboxing are you talking about above the waist?

The style of kickboxing you are talking about will probably benefit your Muay Thai more than your judo. If it's a good club they will do lots of work on kicking dexterity and have a wider variety of kicks generally than Muay Thai. It's good for fitness and some clubs have good boxing. You should get good explosive fitness simular to judo as they have a lot of in and out type footwork and change of pace blitz's. But honestly, Muay Thai would probably better compliment your judo due to the clinch work.

Best thing to do is do a couple weeks trial and see how you like it.

No knee kickboxing are you talking about above the waist?

The style of kickboxing you are talking about will probably benefit your Muay Thai more than your judo. If it's a good club they will do lots of work on kicking dexterity and have a wider variety of kicks generally than Muay Thai. It's good for fitness and some clubs have good boxing. You should get good explosive fitness simular to judo as they have a lot of in and out type footwork and change of pace blitz's. But honestly, Muay Thai would probably better compliment your judo due to the clinch work.

Best thing to do is do a couple weeks trial and see how you like it.
I know about that but Muay Thai is not popular here and yes with no knees at all I mean is not K-1, just kicks and knees, that´s kickboxing at least here.

Hola, I´m a judo guy who wants to do some kick boxing for these summer months as the university club is closed til next March so my question is ...what benefits can I get from Kickboxing besides being more complete?

I did Muay Thai for over a year and I like the fact goes well with judo due to the clinch but don´t know if I´ll find kickboxing so interesting as is just kicks and punches---

What kind of kick boxing. Old North American kicks above the waste or euro style with leg kicks? Euro style is obv better but Either way you will learn more boxing than pure MT, which is cool. No clinch but it's still good.

What kind of kick boxing. Old North American kicks above the waste or euro style with leg kicks? Euro style is obv better but Either way you will learn more boxing than pure MT, which is cool. No clinch but it's still good.
I´ll miss clinch but Kickboxing here is with low kicks and those reverse punches included , no knees though which is sad because even if I´m a 1,78 and 96 kilos pork I love flying knees...
lol where are you from?
I´m from Chile, most smoker, drunk, obese lazy and drugaddict country in the south , we still have beautiful and good women but prefer some foreigners still ...

Forget kickboxing, its not important. Learn to box, its a far greater sport and style of fighting.

I´ll miss clinch but Kickboxing here is with low kicks and those reverse punches included , no knees though which is sad because even if I´m a 1,78 and 96 kilos pork I love flying knees...

I´m from Chile, most smoker, drunk, obese lazy and drugaddict country in the south , we still have beautiful and good women but prefer some foreigners still ...

You can still train knees on your own, for a summer this is a great thing to do.

Footwork, footwork, footwork! Closing distance from out of striking range into Tachi Waza setups.

Cardio for more explosive repetition of Waza drills.

Better fight IQ by having more applications to draw from.

Mental toughness getting owned and battered around for the first year in a new way.

Better hip flexibility from kick related stretching that will actually help your break falling cause you'll be able to dissipate energy more quickly by fanning your legs in the falls.

Research your KB school lineage carefully. I was lucky to be close to a ITF lineage TKD school that also included WTO Olympic program where the Sabu Nim trained the US team in CO springs. All the footwork training and flexibility turbo'd my Tache Waza!

Footwork, footwork, footwork! Closing distance from out of striking range into Tachi Waza setups.

Cardio for more explosive repetition of Waza drills.

Better fight IQ by having more applications to draw from.

Mental toughness getting owned and battered around for the first year in a new way.

Better hip flexibility from kick related stretching that will actually help your break falling cause you'll be able to dissipate energy more quickly by fanning your legs in the falls.

Research your KB school lineage carefully. I was lucky to be close to a ITF lineage TKD school that also included WTO Olympic program where the Sabu Nim trained the US team in CO springs. All the footwork training and flexibility turbo'd my Tache Waza!
This coach is not bad but martial arts in general are not popular here , anyway my Muay Thai coach was pretty good so I´ll judge these months in kickboxing from that experience.
Forget kickboxing, its not important. Learn to box, its a far greater sport and style of fighting.
Kickboxing is more complete plus this is not Northamerica, Brazil or Europe where you have a lot to choose from , guess there are not many boxing gyms around.
You can still train knees on your own, for a summer this is a great thing to do.
You mean because knees train the abs ?

Back