Kick-boxing and bodybuilding

bgab

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok, I need help with this now and I hope this is the right forum.

I plan to start kick-boxing classes and I'm for years into bodybuilding. I'm training, dieting and I don't use juice. I would really like to train (recreative) kick-boxing with bodybuilding.

Why I would like to train kickboxing?
Because it gives a lot of self-confidence and it also gives you some practical skills that can be applied (recreative kick boxer) to people who don't train martial arts/don't use weapons. I don't train it to compete, nor would I ever compete. But for me good martial art training is the one that teaches you basics and has a lot of sparring. The reason why I want to take classes is to get used to taking hits, and hitting back.

Why I want to continue bodybuilding?
Because of looks, because I trained it for years and I like my looks like that. I know I would still need to go to gym for strength training when kick-boxing, but what I want to combine with kick-boxing is training for size.

I would use a lot of supplements (PeptoPro, Whey, Creathine, Glutamine) and would eat a lot. In the past, I have trained 5-6 days a week and I could recover succesfully, actually the best gains I had in that period.

I would be thankful for any advice on this, how to combine, eating plans etc. Would it be a good idea to suspend bodybuilding training for some time and take classes and eat big, could I still maintain/gain mass like that? When I combine these two I guess the best would be to train them on same day, first kick-box and then gym, with a day-between for rest?

If by "bodybuilding" you mean a couple of not-too-heavy sessions a week for general hypertrophy, then you can make it work.

If by "bodybuilding" you mean serious bodybuilding training, then you are going to suck at kickboxing.

I plan to start kick-boxing classes and I'm for years into bodybuilding. I'm training, dieting and I don't use juice. I would really like to train (recreative) kick-boxing with bodybuilding.

Because it gives a lot of self-confidence and it also gives you some practical skills that can be applied (recreative kick boxer) to people who don't train martial arts/don't use weapons. I don't train it to compete, nor would I ever compete. But for me good martial art training is the one that teaches you basics and has a lot of sparring. The reason why I want to take classes is to get used to taking hits, and hitting back.

Because of looks, because I trained it for years and I like my looks like that. I know I would still need to go to gym for strength training when kick-boxing, but what I want to combine with kick-boxing is training for size.

I would use a lot of supplements (PeptoPro, Whey, Creathine, Glutamine) and would eat a lot. In the past, I have trained 5-6 days a week and I could recover succesfully, actually the best gains I had in that period.

I would be thankful for any advice on this, how to combine, eating plans etc. Would it be a good idea to suspend bodybuilding training for some time and take classes and eat big, could I still maintain/gain mass like that? When I combine these two I guess the best would be to train them on same day, first kick-box and then gym, with a day-between for rest?

Why not, there's no problem with it as long as you can find a balance its fine.

Last year I did PPLx2 with MMA and I didn't have any problems with it. My body's already used to a high workload and I was bulking so it went well.

As for gaining mass, you've been in bodybuilding for a few years so you already know that going over your maintenance (TDEE), you'll gain, and you won't make much gains while being on a deficit. At the end of the day they're both physical activity, there's nothing special or mystical about martial arts/combat sports. Its just higher intense cardio at the end of the day. You adjust your calories based on that.

Maybe if the training regimen is too much you can cut down on lifting to a 4 day template with some KB. Keep in mind, that alot of martial art gym coaches have a lack of understanding on strength work, and nutrition (unless they have a professional background in it themselves), so use your best judgment when they mention material regarding those.

It can work if your goal is to be just pretty good in each discipline.

i would try to fit 3 days lifting something like

squats 5x5, Bench 5x5, bench accessory movements, curls

light squats or front squats 3-5x5, deadlift 3-5RM then 8-12 RM or SLDLs for a couple of sets of 8-12, upper back accessory

press 5x5, shoulder and tricep accessory, squats 3x10-20

kickbox on your off days, or have a morning session and an afternoon session on days you lift for both(whatever your schedule allows and do some Cardiac output work a couple of days a week

just an aside if you do do that you will have to adjust your carb intake pretty signifigantly

I'd take my time to get used to the new strains for the first couple of weeks. You're legs and arms will take the brunt of the work load, so maybe put heavy bench/squat sessions before a rest day.

Depending on the amount of calisthenics you will be doing during regular class, you might have to restructure your lifting. For example, if your coach is a fan of push ups in the triple-digits, you might switch some chest/triceps exercises for more push ups and get really good at them.

After ~6 months of regular classes you'll be used to the extra load and should be able to balance the two activities.

There are some resources that cater to your questions, but no, this subforum isn't the correct place for your topic.

Here's the bodybuilding one:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-sherdog-bodybuilding-collective.1883349/

Here's for stand-up fighting (kickboxing) training:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/standup-technique.11/

Here's for diet and supplements:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/dieting-supplement-discussion.15/

The good news is that all your needs are met within the forum. The other good news is that we're here for you if you have questions involving Strength and Conditioning. Good Luck!

Back