Khabib's sick grappling (GIFs)

Khabib is the way id like to see grappling evolve to I thought it would be Karo Parisiyan but Khabib is unreal. and Taking down rockhold ffs. geesh

It doesn't look like he got the sub at all. it looked like he initiated the sub, and half guard kimura is a quite low % sub.

Maybe it's not clear on the GIF. Khabib jerks his opponents arm away from his body with a lot of force, and the guy starts tapping Khabib's back. Maybe he was tapping because he knew time was up.

This guy, Gatovsky, was very slick. Passed Khabib's guard and caught him in a deep triangle. I'm moving to Moscow, and I hope I'll get to train with him.

Dude is a Freak, if he joins adcc next year I have a very hard time seeing anyone beating him

Dos Anjos must be shitting his pants right now.

Dos Anjos must be shitting his pants right now.

Poor guy probably has PTSD from the last time Khabib got a hold of him. The "just bleed" crowd thought that was a boring fight, but for it me it was an absolute master class by Khabib. It's pretty rare to see a grappler as high level as RDA get dominated so effortlessly by an opponent.

We all remember the takedowns.

Khabib+Nurmagomedov+Takedowns+Rafael+dos+Anjos+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

cGMmJyB.gif

But Khabib also showed flawless submission defense.

J3ik9yX.gif

And his ground control was otherworldly. It brought me back to watching Randy Couture ride Tito for five rounds.

yPAZXw.gif

0Ro5LG.gif

Nobody at 155 has any business grappling with Khabib. He's a freak.

I doubt any other lightweight could take down Rockhold or Cormier.

5ywYPA.gif

lYkGn1.gif

And there aren't many who could submit Leandro Vieira.

M8K3DA.gif

What vid is Vieira gif from?

Rafael Mendes will have him.

Khabib would probably do -77kg (169 lbs) right? I think he'd be too big to drop down to -66kg (145 lbs)? I have a hard time seeing how Rafa looks as strong as he does at 66kg and he seems a good bit smaller than Khabib.

I agree with you overall and I would not bet against Rafa. But I would say that the -1 for guard pulling in the finals matches at adcc counting as soon as the match starts, is something that has given Rafa problems. He got our-wrestled by Cobrinha in 2013 which is no shame. Cobrinha's one of the better wrestlers as far as bjj players go. But Khabib is on another level and unless Rafa was willing to start with a -1 in the finals match, I could see Khabib staying on the feet and using some gamesmanship to force Rafa to stand until the end of the match.

If Kabib took him down early I think he would get subbed,

RDA has gotten A LOT better since he fought Khabib the first time. I'm really looking forward to that fight, actually any fight between Khabib, RDA, or Ferguson would be both a badass fight and probably feature some sick grappling exchanges.

I assume RDA will murder Alvarez. I could be wrong about that, but I feel like he does many things similar to Eddie but does them all better at this stage of his career.

I suppose the rules could be manipulated in that Brendan Shwab way, but if it were a submission only superfight, there are quite a few guys who would own Khabib.

Khabib would probably do -77kg (169 lbs) right? I think he'd be too big to drop down to -66kg (145 lbs)? I have a hard time seeing how Rafa looks as strong as he does at 66kg and he seems a good bit smaller than Khabib.

I agree with you overall and I would not bet against Rafa. But I would say that the -1 for guard pulling in the finals matches at adcc counting as soon as the match starts, is something that has given Rafa problems. He got our-wrestled by Cobrinha in 2013 which is no shame. Cobrinha's one of the better wrestlers as far as bjj players go. But Khabib is on another level and unless Rafa was willing to start with a -1 in the finals match, I could see Khabib staying on the feet and using some gamesmanship to force Rafa to stand until the end of the match.

If Kabib took him down early I think he would get subbed,

I suppose the rules could be manipulated in that Brendan Shwab way, but if it were a submission only superfight, there are quite a few guys who would own Khabib.

sure, but no one said sub only rules, I said ADCC, and so was mataleos talking about it.

I think you guys are underestimating Khabib if you're confident that there's anyone his weight who would smoke him in a submission grappling match. There are obviously guys his size who are better at submitting people than he is. But that doesn't mean they would be able to submit him. And as BJJ Rage pointed out, ADCC rules would really play to Khabib's strengths.

What vid is Vieira gif from?

They start rolling at 14:47 of this video. Khabib to Vieira: "Give me black belt!"

RDA has gotten A LOT better since he fought Khabib the first time. I'm really looking forward to that fight, actually any fight between Khabib, RDA, or Ferguson would be both a badass fight and probably feature some sick grappling exchanges.

I assume RDA will murder Alvarez. I could be wrong about that, but I feel like he does many things similar to Eddie but does them all better at this stage of his career.

The biggest improvement I've seen from RDA has been in his striking. I'm sure he has been working hard to improve his wrestling as well, but it's hard to tell how much progress he's made in that area until we see him lock horns with a guy like Khabib. Either way, I will be beyond psyched to see that fight. And hopefully to see Khabib get his belt!

Khabib vs. Ferguson is also interesting, but I see Khabib as a nightmare matchup for Tony. He can avoid the darce using his great upper-body takedowns, and I don't think Ferguson has what it takes to submit Khabib off of his back.

Khabib vs. Ferguson is also interesting, but I see Khabib as a nightmare matchup for Tony. He can avoid the darce using his great upper-body takedowns, and I don't think Ferguson has what it takes to submit Khabib off of his back.

I agree with that. If Ferguson tries those Imanari rolls he did with Barboza on Khabib, I think Nurmy will just chuckle and beat the shit out of him while not coming close to being leg locked. Ferguson's best chance is to keep it on the feet, because Khabib is not a very dynamic striker, certainly not in combination. When really good grapplers meet strikers who know how to stay at range it can be a long night for them, and Khabib hasn't really run into anyone like that yet. As good as he looks, Khabib hasn't fought the cream of the LW division other than RDA. I don't know what would happen against the Pettises and Cerrones of the world, rangy strikers who can actually circle out of a clinch and do a lot of damage quickly. Even someone like Nate Diaz with crisp hands and length would be a really interesting test.

Khabib trains with Rokchold and has also trained with Buchecha, of course he does plenty of bjj-oriented grappling. Taking the back with hooks is a very bjj-sque thing to do and not very desired in sambo nor wrestling. What I really like about Khabib is how good he is at both legs and upper body takedowns. The best of Hendicks mixed with the best of Ronda.
Wrestlers never ever throw legs..not ever lol :D:p

Ferguson's best chance is to keep it on the feet, because Khabib is not a very dynamic striker, certainly not in combination. When really good grapplers meet strikers who know how to stay at range it can be a long night for them, and Khabib hasn't really run into anyone like that yet.

In my opinion, Khabib's standup is criminally underrated. He's like a mini-Fedor, which is hardly surprising given that they're both combat sambo champs. Each of them lunge forward with awkward, looping punches that pressure their opponents into giving up takedowns.

This is not a style that would work well for most fighters. It takes a very specific kind of athleticism, combined with grappling so good that nobody wants to tie up with you. Fortunately, Khabib has both of those things in spades.

I'm sure Ferguson would do well if he could keep Khabib at range standing. But the whole point of the Fedor/Khabib approach is to avoid that kind of fight by staying out of range, then exploding into grappling distance.

Check out the similarities in their style:

Leaping left corkscrew punch
ActiveFelineLacewing.gif

NastyIgnorantAlaskanmalamute.gif

Big overhand right
tumblr_maaw2nWA821ry1rm7o1_250.gif

tumblr_mnmkicD0wj1qhndw9o1_400.gif

Relentless pressure
ClosedMasculineIndianabat.gif

DirtyDismalIbadanmalimbe.gif

Closing distance into rear body lock
23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_010.gif

PeacefulYellowFanworms.gif

Fight-ending two-hand flurries
fedorsylvia.gif~c200

W6KZZ4.gif

Smooth punch-to-TD transition
23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_013.gif

ShimmeringBrilliantDunnart.gif

Blitz attack into TD
NkKP92.gif

ClearcutEnragedAmurstarfish.gif

I agree Fedor and Khabib have similar styles, but I can see Khabib getting in trouble with good strikers where Fedor didn't for two reasons: other than CroCop, there weren't that many good HW strikers in PRIDE that Fedor had to deal with, whereas there are lots of them in the UFC LW division. Khabib also doesn't have the ludicrous hand speed + power that Fedor did that allowed him to get away with his weird form. Now, I think Khabib has better grappling than Fedor did from what I've seen, and he uses his striking incredibly well to get into the clinch, but where Fedor terrified people with his hands I don't think anyone is that scared of Khabib's striking.

Back