Khabib wont fight until the end July.

July is actually wildly optimistic.

We will see his return at September the earliest with Ramadan in June.

There is zero chance Khabib will be stripped. He carries way too much clout at this point.

Now, if it was someone like Tony Ferguson, than yes he would probably be stripped.

Personally, I think he should have been stripped just for jumping the cage and attacking an audience member, but I have a moral code, and the UFC doesn't.

I think his suspension should me more than 6 months, because that's an empty sanction--most champions don't fight within 6 months, so it literally has zero impact.

If it were up to me, I'd give him the option of keeping the belt for the course of the suspension + 3 months, or fighting Floyd. One or the other.

It's stupid to talk about a defend-or-vacate while he's under the cloud of impending suspension.
But it was equally stupid to hold up the division while Connor chased an opportunity to get schooled (in the most literal sense) by Floyd, and that is a precedent that absolutely should not continue.
There isn't nearly the financial upside to selling their integrity for the UFC, either. Khabib is a presence, but the only time he's broken 350k buys is riding Connor's fame. He's not going to bring the money in cross promotion that Connor did, and he's going to further cement the FACT that UFC fighters can't compete at the elite level in boxing.

If Khabib can fight again in July, I wouldn't bother stripping him.

I'd consider restoring Ferguson's belt, though, if he chooses to fight while Khabib is out and the UFC wants to add hype to that fight and the subsequent unification bout with Khabib.

If Khabib then chooses to fight Mayweather, which I really doubt happens (though I initially thought that about McG too), then I think stripping the title would be in order.

September.

Khabib vs Tony.

Book it.

Again.

Woodley just defended his belt 3 months ago and Dana is already freaking out about him not taking a fight soon.
Woodley's last fight only drew in 130k ppv buys. Couple that with lengthy lay offs, I think Dana just wants to get him out of the title picture as quickly as possible..

Was hoping he'd get a 6 month suspension after seeing the Ramadan dates but this delay makes that less likely. At this point it looks like we probably won't see him until Sept - Oct so I suppose it doesn't really matter if he gets 6 or 12 months.

Ramadan is for a month so it ends on the 4th June next year so there's no way he fights in July, not even at then end of it.
This year Ramadan ended on the 14th June and the McGregor fight was 6th October, he should be good to go before October however so it won't be 12 months without a defence and it really isn't a big deal.

Professional athletes who adhere to Islam have both trained and performed during Ramadan.

Khabib can certainly train during that time, even if he choses not to compete.

I don't understand why this strange "ineligibility" seems to be constantly tagged onto Khabib, but no other high level Muslim athlete in any sport.

July is far from optimal for his next title defense but it isn't completely unreasonable either. If they strip him for that then it is what it is and I wouldn't bitch but it sounds like a scenario where an interim title would be introduced.

But yeah, if he comes back and fights Mayweather instead of defending then he should absolutely be stripped without question. Any fighter whose priority lies in another sport shouldn't be allowed to carry the belt.
I think you got it right. A champion shouldn't be stripped if he's out for less than a year unless they break the law or piss hot like Jon Jones. I say make an interim belt to get his opponent lined up for when he returns and if he wants to box instead of defend his belt then elevate the interim champ to full status.

Khabib defended his belt in October. If you want to dispute the validity of his title win in April, well that's your choice..
No he did not. He won the undisputed belt after beating Conor. He got an interim belt because they had to rescue a card and he fought Iaquinta for it. If you think that's a valid title then that's your choice but he was not the undisputed champion. He became the champion on the 6th of October.

I highly doubt they give him 6 months retroactive. Highly doubt.

He needs to deal with NSAC first.
Punishment should be 2 years suspension, and sent to Russia to herd goats.
Though that may not actually be a punishment.

nah, stripping is too much. 6 months isn't that big of a gap to be stripped, but people definitely call him on it
He just defended his belt, so bit of a stretch stripping him. Best bet, is to wait until the outcome of the hearing..
no it's not a stretch, defending every 6 months shouldn't be worth of praise

Yeah let's strip Khabib so we can crown an illegitimate champion weeks after finally having a legitimate champ again.

If Khabib gets 6 months, he can defend his title in April btw.

If you havent heard of, khabib also asked for his hearing to be adjourned: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/12...granted-continuance-in-nevada-commission-case

With that, his hearing will be Jan 29.
Now, if they give him 6 months retroactively which is about right in the middle (since there has been talks about a year) he would be able to fight again in may.
However, Ramadan is in the beggining of May so if Khabib doesn’t fight by April then he isnt fighting until end of July.
Not only that, khabib is taking a massive dump on all of the divisions head by trying to fight mayweather, and if given the chance thats what he will do.

Are you all ok with this? What should the UFC do about it?

Im sorry khabib fans, but I think he needs to be stripped ASAP so we can move on. Once he is ready to come back, give him the title shot, no doubt. It wont make a difference for him. But it will make for us, the UFC and the other fighters.
Because this isn’t fair for the rest of the division, specially Tony.
Enough waiting on khabib... cant fight because stupid actions(and is willingly delaying the hearing), cant fight because religion, cant fight because too busy trying to fight mayweather... fuck off really.

Its been too long since LW had any kind of continuity. Its been stop and go for how many years now? And its the most packed division in the organization. Im tired. Really tired of all this shit.
Lets move on for the love of god.

Inb4 "conor held the division too". Save it. I was never cool with that either. So lets not repeat it.

While in principle I wouldn't mind, I find it funny that most people that were OK with Conor taking 2 years off are now demanding Khabib to fight in Ramadan or (even worse) demanding him to pick a fight in MMA while he does not even know how long hw will be suspended for.

Depends on the suspension length. If he's suspended for over a year, strip him. If he goes into boxing, strip him. If he refuses to fight Tony, strip him. If he comes back and fights within a year It's all good.

The suspension starts retroactively if the hearing date is moved.

But I did not expect Khabib to fight before Ramadan even before the brawl had happened.

Translation for OP: I dislike Khabib, and I hate that he's champ, but am not confident that the fighters I cheer for can beat him, so strip him.

how is he going to fight in july when ramadan ends in june??? you think he's going to spend two months fasting and then train for three weeks???

Back