Khabib vs Sakuraba

Obitronix

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Under Pride rules in a Pride ring, who wins between Khabib and prime Kazushi Sakuraba? Before someone says it, I know they're not in the same weight class. Let's say Khabib moved up and kept the same ability. Both guys are great grapplers. I think Saku would have a shot. He was unorthodox and great at submissions. If Khabib landed shots via ground and pound it might get ugly quick. Edit: I forgot to mention Sakuraba's awesome wrestling and his fights against bigger guys. Thanks for bringing that up in the comments. Also, to clarify, I give Saku the edge against Khabib. I said "shot" because we can only speculate and out of respect for Khabib. All MMA fans should make it their business to become familiar with the sport's history.

Last edited:
Sakuraba grappled with LHWs and HWs and found success at times.
Khabib fights LWs.

It's kinda different.

Khabib is just more skilled and doesn't really have a physical disadvantage. Huge fan of Saku, but it isn't really fair to him to match him up against a refined peak modern fighter.

Honestly size difference is negligible. Khabib ragdolls him. Times have changed.

Khabib is just more skilled and doesn't really have a physical disadvantage. Huge fan of Saku, but it isn't really fair to him to match him up against a refined peak modern fighter.
It wasn't fair they matched him vs lil nog and arona

This has to be a joke thread.....Sakuraba would win easily... Are you forgetting that Saku fought with the best of all weight divisions and almost always had success until the weight difference became too much. For example he held his own against Wanderlei, Crocop, Igor Vovchanchyn, Guy Mezger, Vitor, Carlos Newton, Rampage Jackson, Noguera, Shamrock, Randleman, Arona who are all extremely good opponents. Granted he didn't always get the win but the fights were always very very competitive and almost none of the people I mentioned could out grapple him.

Under Pride rules in a Pride ring, who wins between Khabib and prime Kazushi Sakuraba? Before someone says it, I know they're not in the same weight class. Let's say Khabib moved up and kept the same ability. Both guys are great grapplers. I think Saku would have a shot because of how unorthodox he was and due to his submission ability. If Khabib landed shots via ground and pound it might get ugly quick.
Is it normal PRIDE rules (10/5/5 min) or Saku vs. Royce rules? Khabib wins under regular PRIDE rules, but under the rules of Saku/Royce Saku could drag it out and catch Khabib after 90+ min when Khabib is tired. It'd be hard, but definitely doable.

I'm the biggest Khabib fan around... There's nothing modern about his fighting style at all.
He's a throw back fighter if anything.

Even his younger training regiment is old school. Wrestling bears and shit.

Last edited:
Is it normal PRIDE rules (10/5/5 min) or Saku vs. Royce rules? Khabib wins under regular PRIDE rules, but under the rules of Saku/Royce Saku could drag it out and catch Khabib after 90+ min when Khabib is tired. It'd be hard, but definitely doable.
Shows what a boss Saku is 90 minutess

Today many wouldn't fight for that long or have courage

sakuraba was this guy who has ended this gracie era imo. the era where the gracies reked everybody only with some jiu jitsu traps.
sakuraba used almost the first time TDD techniques and scrambles as an answer.... in this way...
after that the stand up become more importand in MMA again.
this was huge for the time.

royce had no tools left against sakuraba.
but the sakuraba era is old as well and the mma developed since than again.

I'm the biggest Khabib fan around... There's nothing modern about his fighting style at all.
He's a throw back fighter if anything.
Yep

He might be better than gsp Hughes but he isn't modern

Gsp probably more skilled

Prime for prime would be good

Take this junk to the wasteland.. Garbage ass who do you think would win between superman n batman shit .. god dam fairy tales

Answers can be summed up like this.

1. Sakuraba, from hardcore old schoolers.
2. Khabib, from TUF nuthuggers that boo when fighters arent trying to knock each others heads off.
3. Too close to call, from educated fans that know damn well that anyone can be anyone else.

Sakuraba...anyone that thinks he wouldnt stand a chance against Khabib (IF its with Sakuraba in his prime) is a fool especially since he was beating guys like former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman who was far heavier than he was and has Khabib level wrestling skills and was far stronger than him.

It would have been an amazing match between the two fighters.

sakuraba was this guy who has ended this gracie era. the era where the gracies reked everybody only with some jiu jitsu traps.
sakuraba used almost the first time TDD techniques and scrambles as an answer.
his was huge for the time.

the mma gone one step forward after that. sakuraba used techniques wich stopped the jiu jitsu and royce gracie looked very bad stand up.
he was almost gone he had no tools left against sakuraba.
but he sakuraba era is old as well now and the mma developed since than again.
People talk about the evolution of MMA like it's a real thing but when you look at the division Sakuraba fought in, LHW, I'd pick the likes of Rampage, Shogun, Wanderlei, Liddell, & Randy over Gustafsson, Bader, Volkan, Phil Davis, and Teixeira.

Just because Jones and Comier are amazing doesn't make everyone else at their level... Ryan Bader is the #3 ranked LHW in the world in Sherdog's rankings people. Ryan Bader is not a special fighter.

Back